Will two B's kill my chances?

Pandapurse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior in high school and I'm hoping to apply to University of Miami's BS/MD program, but I got a B in PreCalculus and AP English... I've gotten straight A's so far and I'm really worried about getting into the program :( Will it hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think so. As long as you have a high GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow Pandapurse from the looks of it you are doing great in HS. I really doubt that 2 B's are going to kill your chances of getting into UM, just try your best to still get A's while taking challenging courses. I have read that colleges like to see students challenge themselves with honors and especially AP. Seeing as you got one of the B's in an honors class (at least precalc is honors at my school) and the other B in an AP class I can't possibly believe that your chances are hindered too much. Just try your best to get A's and if you get a B or two along the way it can't kill you, especially in high school.

I have been looking into BS/MD programs and I am curious, what attracts you to UM?

Yeah, I've got to try harder now ;)

I want to go to UM because it has an amazing reputation, beautiful campus, and the class sizes are smaller. I did originally want to go to University of Florida, but I'm not a big fan of the party scene there and I also heard the school is run like a bureacracy. I'm also a Florida resident (I live in Tampa) and Miami is around 5 hours away, so its not to close or far either. I always get chills up my spine thinking about the beautiful beaches :)

Yeah, I've got to try harder now ;)

I want to go to UM because it has an amazing reputation, beautiful campus, and the class sizes are smaller. I did originally want to go to University of Florida, but I'm not a big fan of the party scene there and I also heard the school is run like a bureacracy. I'm also a Florida resident (I live in Tampa) and Miami is around 5 hours away, so its not to close or far either. I always get chills up my spine thinking about the beautiful beaches :)

I live in Tampa as well! And I am having a tough time deciding whether I should go out of state or stay in state. I don't know if it is worth the money to go out of state but if it is I don't mind taking out loans or anything.

Last edited:
pandapurse said:
I'm currently a junior in high school and I'm hoping to apply to University of Miami's BS/MD program, but I got a B in PreCalculus and AP English... I've gotten straight A's so far and I'm really worried about getting into the program Will it hurt my chances

I wouldn't think it would kill your chances...but then again I know next to nothing about the competitiveness of BS/MD programs :rolleyes:

YOU'RE DONE! TOO BAD!

not really, you're prob cool.

pandapurse, i am a freshmen at UM and a member of the program you want to get in. They took less than 30 this year out of 500 or so, so it was pretty tough to get into. The 2 B's will not throw u out immediately, you just have to have enough to get you to the interview. I met people at the interview who had a perfect 1600 on the SAT to kids who had a 3.2 GPA. I think they interviewed 200 so I would say your chances are pretty good still.

I had a very good relationship with the advisor of the program, and I met with him for 2 years prior to applying to see how to increase my odds or chances. I am from orlando, so we made it a spring break trip and it worked well. I think that could be enough to push you through to the interview and then it's up to you.

But it is a great program, I think they are changing some things up but I wish you the best. Just try and stay away from too many more B's and you'll be good

Wait a minute... You have two B's, but you have a 4.0 unweighted? Love, you're going to have to explain to me how that's possible.

He hasn't gotten his report card with the B's on it, so its not calculated into his GPA yet. Silly tib :)

Kemp, I'll have you know that I already knew that. I was just asking for all the lazy sods who might have posted the same question because they skimmed the thread and didn't see that. I'm preemptively warding off idiots.

So you should, in fact, be thanking me. See?

Pfft, you and trying to hijack threads. I will fend you off woman!

Get two B's won't kill your chances. You're fine. Save the Pre-Med worrying for later.

:hijacked:
No, but seriously. Dont stress out about it. What's done is done. Just do better.

4y2RwP8DcQ+d6rT9ATiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Nah! You'll be fine. Most undergrad schools just want your money. I got into a really competitive school with a 3.5/ lots of extracurriculars/Plenty of A's and B's. I also got plenty of scholarships. I think class ranking matters most. If you are top quarter, then you are good. They look at extracurricular activities, of course. If you show you will bring a lot to the college's student body, then you have a great chance of getting in. Good luck!:luck: