Will wearing glasses make vision "worse" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrsmojorisin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to an Optometrist and he said I should get glasses but I think he was just trying to make a sale. I have the very slightest impairment (-.25 in one eye only). Maybe glasses will help me a little.. but I'm asking this tired question because I can't find a reliable answer online. Could it make my vision worse over time?

Feel free to make fun of me for being a pre-med ruhtard..

Members don't see this ad.

It's again SDN policy to answer medical questions. Nobody will answer you, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not asking for medical advice for me specifically. I am just asking generally, can eyeglasses worsen vision? I want an ophthalmologists opinion because its hard to trust an OD when you know they rely on glasses sales for much of their income. And I cannot see an ophthalmologist because I would have to be referred and I don't want to waste their time for my one question.

This is why people here can't give you advice. Nobody knows your exam except the guy that examined you. Nobody knows the interaction you had either.

Simply put, no it most likely will not make your eyes worse.

However, maybe he felt you would benefit from correction, or maybe you get better with it or maybe you went to him in the first place noticing something wrong so he thought you wanted glasses regardless of how small your correction...or maybe he really wants to make money. Who can say?

I'm not asking for medical advice for me specifically. I am just asking generally, can eyeglasses worsen vision? I want an ophthalmologists opinion because its hard to trust an OD when you know they rely on glasses sales for much of their income. And I cannot see an ophthalmologist because I would have to be referred and I don't want to waste their time for my one question.

just want to point out your ignorance here

ophtho's rely on surgery for much of their income, is it hard to trust their opinion regarding the need for surgery? kind of silly in retrospect, don't you think?

Having said that, no, wearing those glasses (or not wearing them) will not make your vision "worse".

The notion that someone just wants to "make a sale" is likely not true. While yes, there are unethical practices in any field, there is little benefit to any practitioner to make a sale of glasses that will not help or help very little.

Obviously, once the person puts on the glasses and notices no difference, they will be upset. There is no value to a doctor or a practice to have a bunch of patients running around wearing glasses that don't help them. In fact, it does more long term harm to a practice.

dont, you will look like a nerd.
Trust me i am doctor.