Will you administer testosterone to a patient?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Estrace, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Estrace

Estrace 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I have a patient who gets his testosterone injections from us. He hates injecting himself so he's me asked if he could come to the pharmacy so I can help administer it to him. I gave him flu shot on Monday and today he calls to ask for this. I don't mind doing it as long as it's not against the law.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It's against the law. I believe there was one state considering allowing RPh's to administer certain specific injections (the example I read about was B12), but I doubt that instance allowed for CIII's (if it even passed).

4. npage148

npage148 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Verified
    PhD
    Illegal!

5. sakigt

sakigt Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Illegal! But I administer my hubster's testo shot at home, go fig.

Id go over the basics with him and make sure hes injecting in the right spot. If you aim for above the buttcrack and to the right of the center of the cheek it shouldnt hurt at all.

I make a little "the power of Christ compels you!" motion to make sure I aim correctly.

6. Gombrich12

Gombrich12 2+ Year Member

No I won't and I also won't give you your flu shot in the butt either. I do have one guy who comes in and I pull up his testosterone in his syringe since it can be hard to do.

7. ChalupaBatman86

ChalupaBatman86 2+ Year Member

Are a lot of people asking for flu shots in the butt? Can I come through the drive- thru for that?

BenJammin and owlegrad like this.
  8. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    SDN
    Author
    hSDN
    My DM said he wanted to get his in the butt so I told him that's why I have the screen. He didn't go for it. It was in jest anyway...mostly.

I have never understood why a pharmacist cannot give an inject that a patient can give themselves, but I have always heard it is illegal. I guess it falls under the "if it is not specifically legal than it is illegal" principle. So no, I wouldn't do it.

9. Estrace

Estrace 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist

I never understood it either. If a patient can give it to themselves , why can't a pharmacist? I have done a lot for this patient in the past 3 days so hopefully he will understand that I can't help with this particular request. Thanks guys.

10. HouTX

HouTX 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    liability.

11. Ackj

Ackj 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It's a scope of practice issue. NY had a huge ordeal with the immunization law because "administering" had to be added to the long-standing "preparing, compounding, and dispensing of medications." Our ability to administer is still limited to vaccinations and associated care, so by administering anything else, that's going beyond your scope.

12. KidPharmD

KidPharmD Pediatric Pharmacist 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Verified
    Faculty
    Not Illegal! Or at least my state has "administering" as part of our scope of practice, but doesn't seem to place any restriction on what drugs we may administer. Our law professor says that theoretically that means we could push IV meds if we chose too, although our insurance might not appreciate it if we messed it up.

About the ads