Will you please help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMABADSTUDENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this forum and have many questions.

I will try and keep my questions limited for my first post.

Basically, I am a pretty bad student. It would not be uncommon for me to withdraw from classes or do a few CR/NC. Also, I have re-taken several classes. My overall GPA is around a 3.2. That is according to the university though. So I have no idea what my GPA would be considered when taking into account my re-takes and such. I was never really worried about it since what I was doing was considered acceptable for my educational path. That is no longer the case.

I now know that withdrawing from classes is not a good thing. I would like to know how badly that would hurt my chances. Also, I had one bad semester and failed almost all my classes because of some family issues. I have since retaken those classes. Again, how much would that hurt me?

My main dilemma right now is the fact that I had another issue with my family that made me miss some classes. I should be able to do ok in most, but a statistics class I am taking may not work out so well. If I continue, I would not be surprised if I get a C- or more likely a D+. Naturally, I don't want that. I don't know if I should drop it since I have already done that many times. Also, continuing will hurt my GPA. I don't really want to get a bad grade then retake it.

Because I recently decided that I want to go to dental school, I still quite a few pre-reqs. I anticipate being in school for two more years after this. If I get basically all A's do you think I may stand a chance then?

I know this is long and I asked many questions, but I know this is what I want and I would greatly appreciate any help you all could give.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely a blessing in disguise that you haven't already completed the marjority of your pre reqs. I would guess that this isn't anything a 3.5+ sci gpa (from pre reqs) and a 22+ DAT couldn't fix ... espcially if you end up with an overall AADSAS gpa above 3.0. Just try and let things settle a bit before continuing with any other pre reqs. I think a lot of applicants have a little collection of C's and W's sprinkled through their transcripts, and they probably don't have much more of an excuse than "I was a drunk freshman".

I don't know how much I could play on that. I neglected to mention that this is my fifth year of school. My first two years, I was a music major and took music classes only. So, I guess you could look at it like me being in my third year.

Oh ya, what do you think about my statistics class?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can not see how a D+ is better then a W, regardless of how many W's you have. If there is no hope to get a C+ or above, take the W. I have a buttload of W's and seemed to be OK.

In other news, if you ace your next two years of Pre-Req's and get 20+ on your DAT, you will be fine. Make sure the rest of your app is in good shape and you will be a dentist.

Good luck!

I'd take the W man. I got a few in my back pocket and never had a word asked about them in my applying process. A word of encouragement is that, since you have made a change of direction in your career pursuit, from music to dentistry; if you show a marked jump in academic performance, the adcom will see that you are passionate about success in the field. I have been told that can be better than just seeing a student is smart and has never slipped at all. And remember, a good DAT makes anyone smile. Good Luck. Your extra yrs in college will only show maturity.

W or not, make sure when you are writing your personal statement, you explain your situation with your family issues and explain why your grades were not up to par. Also like someone else said, study hard get 20+ on the DAT and get high marks in your pre-reqs. But also make sure the admissions committee knows and feels your family problems that made your grades suffer.

Well, I'm probably not as nice but I'm truthful.

You're in your fifth year and slightly a little lost about what you want to do----not too unusual. However, by your own admission you have demonstrated you are only willing to do what is necessary to get by; hence, my gpa was good enough for my "educational path". That is a scary way to go through life as you can now plainly see. Don't want to be on the soap-box but just trying to get by and not performing at the top of your game only cheats yourself. There are plenty of music majors and the likes that take their schooling seriously and are incredible students. That said:

I think you have learned a valuable lesson----one that a lot of people never learn or learn in a situation that can't be corrected. It's time to put on the ADULT hat and start taking things in different light. Get organized, meet with some counselors, wait scratch that they're worthless, get with a pre-dental club, a local dentist, immerse yourself in your studies, and finally give-up the excuses. I promise you ------giving it "the ol' college try" to get into dental school is an up-hill endeavor. You have lots of work ahead of you, not taking the pre-reqs yet isn't necessarily a good thing------they are demanding classes that aren't for the meek. You have no cushion due to your current gpa and educational status, you have to nail each one. If you want it----you should have no problems, but cancel any plans for this weekend :laugh: .