Wills vs. Casey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtfulDodger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any strong opinions or thoughts they'd be willing to share? I loved both of these programs and cannot decide which I should rank 1 and which should be 2. I feel like going with Casey I would maximize my own "fit" and happiness and give up a slight (very slight) bit of prestige and networking ability for an academic career, while going for Wills I would gain prestige and give up a slight (very slight) bit of happiness while gaining in terms of reputation and perhaps a slight increase in quality of training. How would you rank these programs? I realize I would be extremely fortunate to match at either program, I'm just afraid that I'll have some regret regardless of how I rank them. Help! I might add, if you're thinking of chastising me for soliciting the opinions of strangers on an internet forum for something as important as a residency rank list, save it. I know.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
7 years ago, I had the same dilemma. I ranked Casey number one out of 17 programs including Wills, Wilmer, Bascom, Doheny, Jules Stein, Iowa. I matched at my number two anyway but everything turned out in the end and I don't regret my decision. You can't lose either way- go with your first instinct (sounds like it's Casey). It's what you do when you get there that matters, not where you train.

7 years ago, I had the same dilemma. I ranked Casey number one out of 17 programs including Wills, Wilmer, Bascom, Doheny, Jules Stein, Iowa. I matched at my number two anyway but everything turned out in the end and I don't regret my decision. You can't lose either way- go with your first instinct (sounds like it's Casey). It's what you do when you get there that matters, not where you train.

Thanks for sharing. It's very helpful to have input from someone who's been in a similar situation.

Go where you will be happiest. Casey is a phenomenal program, as is Wills. Both have their relative strengths and weaknesses. But in the end trust your instincts. From an outsider it seems that Casey may have stronger surgical volume while Wills may have a slight advantage in reputation. If you are gunning for an ASOPRS-plastics fellowship, or a top-tier retina fellowship then going to Wills might be better. Otherwise go with Casey if that’s what your gut tells you.