Program-Specific Info / Q's Winston Salem State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tay327

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from Winston Salem State University? Also does anyone know how many people are supposed to be accepted and when letters should be going out?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything from Winston Salem State University? Also does anyone know how many people are supposed to be accepted and when letters should be going out?
When I applied, I received an email saying they wouldn't be reviewing applications until after January 15.

Reactions: 1 users
I received that as well. Judging by past years it seems we may not know until late February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many are in each cohort and how many apply?

Hoping to hear back soon!!

Reactions: 1 user
I read somewhere they had around 500-600 applicants last year... not sure if this is true. Hope its not ;)

I read somewhere they had around 500-600 applicants last year... not sure if this is true. Hope its not ;)
When I went to their open house, that is what they said. Since it is on OTCAS, I think more people apply to it. I just want to hear back soon.

They definitely get upwards of 600 applicants each year and only take around 28, at least thats what they say at the open houses. I think since its such an affordable program, especially for in state students, that its really hard to pass up. Its my number one so definitely hoping to hear soon!

Oh man. I feel like my chances of getting in just plummeted! I can't compete with that many applicants.

Got an email today saying they will "communicate decisions early to mid march"

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also curious if it was going to be via email or mail. I have been checking my email non stop!

I was also curious if it was going to be via email or mail. I have been checking my email non stop!
I'm pretty sure it will be through email! But yes definitely stalking both of them until we hear :)

I got an email saying that they will make their decisions early to mid march so I am guessing they will notify us via email

Anyone have any updates about WSSU? Tempted to contact them to see when we will hear. I know they said early-mid march but will it be earlier?

Anyone have any updates about WSSU? Tempted to contact them to see when we will hear. I know they said early-mid march but will it be earlier?

Have not heard from then since that email.. hoping for earlier

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone heard anything out of WSSU? I'm going more insane by the day!

Received my acceptance today via email!

Reactions: 3 users
Received an email that I was a qualified candidate but not as competitive as others so they are not offering me a spot. They said they had over 400 applicants and are only taking 28 for this cohort. Congrats to those accepted!

I have not heard anything yet either. Do you think they will contact all of us today?

I have not heard anything yet either. Do you think they will contact all of us today?
I'm also wondering this. Last year they kind of went in waves but seeing that only one person has said they were accepted maybe they just haven't sent out everything yet? Who knows

Yeah I am just hoping I hear sooner than later because they are the last people that I am hearing back from and I want to make a decision soon

Received an email that I was a qualified candidate but not as competitive as others so they are not offering me a spot. They said they had over 400 applicants and are only taking 28 for this cohort. Congrats to those accepted!
I got the same email.

Congratulations on your acceptance!! That is so exciting! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Sure thing! I definitely don't have the best stats but I have been working in the mental health field for the last several years and have a lot of experience working in research. My undergrad GPA is around a 3.12, pre-req is 3.83 (All A's, one B) for WSSU, I believe, GRE 153 V, 150 Q, 4 Writing.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone contacted them and asked why some people have heard and not others? Or does anyone know why? I know of the wave idea but I kinda just want to know if we will hear today or not. Thanks!

Has anyone contacted them and asked why some people have heard and not others? Or does anyone know why? I know of the wave idea but I kinda just want to know if we will hear today or not. Thanks!

There is a wait list. I believe that they send out acceptances, and they start going down the waitlist once those who have been accepted decline the offer. This process continues all through the summer. I was wait listed, rejected, then accepted when someone who paid their seat fee decided to decline last minute!

Thank you for letting us know! Now we just have to wait!

no!! I'm so anxious, I just want to know already! :(

I got an email from them yesterday and I got in!

I have yet hear anything either...hopefully sometime next week!

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully we hear something today!

Reactions: 4 users
I have...went to an info session in like September I believe
Nice! Care to share your opinion of the school? Visiting Friday and want to see all of the campus and where the OT building is.

Nice! Care to share your opinion of the school? Visiting Friday and want to see all of the campus and where the OT building is.
Out of the places that I visited (UNC, ECU, Lenoir Rhyne, WSSU) I feel like WSSU is best suited for me. Seemed to be a lot of hands on group type projects. I noticed white board type notes posted up throughout the classroom where open house was held. The students that I spoke with seemed very happy with their choice of WSSU (I assume they would not ask disgruntled students to attend though). In addition, I have spoken to other OTR's that spoke very highly of WSSU. The previous OTR's I mentioned attended other schools (UNC, ECU) and stated that they felt like the program at WSSU better prepares you for actual hands on treatment with patients. UNC and ECU while excellent programs from what they say are heavily focused on research and the science behind. It just felt right for me too. Can't really explain that one...lol Don't know if that helps you at all. Still hoping to hear back soon!!!!

Out of the places that I visited (UNC, ECU, Lenoir Rhyne, WSSU) I feel like WSSU is best suited for me. Seemed to be a lot of hands on group type projects. I noticed white board type notes posted up throughout the classroom where open house was held. The students that I spoke with seemed very happy with their choice of WSSU (I assume they would not ask disgruntled students to attend though). In addition, I have spoken to other OTR's that spoke very highly of WSSU. The previous OTR's I mentioned attended other schools (UNC, ECU) and stated that they felt like the program at WSSU better prepares you for actual hands on treatment with patients. UNC and ECU while excellent programs from what they say are heavily focused on research and the science behind. It just felt right for me too. Can't really explain that one...lol Don't know if that helps you at all. Still hoping to hear back soon!!!!
That's great to hear! I am having dinner with an alumnae tonight and will share what I can with everyone here. It sounds like WSSU also suits my learning style perfectly, I can't wait to visit!

Just received a wait list email!

I received my acceptance this morning! Good luck to everyone! :)