Winter Break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trifusion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been busy this summer volunteering with habitat for humanity and at a local hospice. I am just beginning to get some shadowing hours in, however I am afraid I wont have nearly enough hours as I should. I was thinking I would knock out the majority of my clinical experience and shadowing during winter break. However, my concern was do clinics and hospitals really offer any of these sort of experiences during winter break? My break at my university is around 6 weeks, so I would have plenty of time to get hours and could work any time needed, only concern is if most clinics/hospitals offer these sort of opportunities during a reduced break like winter break compared to summer?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they would be less likely, but I would say you could probably volunteer in an ED/clinic or something on the weekends/free weekdays during school which would add up pretty quickly over time. I think a long time commitment is better than just a short burst to get all the hours (which is also not bad). Also, it can be pretty boring to shadow many hours a week because you don't really do much but watch... That is unless your doc is super cool and likes answering questions which I always take advantage of whenever appropriate (best if they are training a PA or medical student). I would personally recommend being a ED Scribe if you can handle long stressful shifts in exchange for a job that is never boring. I am much happier working a 12 hour scribing shift than I would be sitting at a cash register or some other mind numbing job. That said, it can definitely mess up your sleep cycle with night shifts so it may not be great if you have early classes.

Most hospitals should allow it...especially if you are all set up in previous semesters. Talk to the volunteer coordinator and they should be okay with it.