winter break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am planning to take the MCAT around end of May and I am thinking about going back to my country during winter break because I have to do something important. My winter break is about 3.5 weeks (mid december~early Jan) so my parents suggested staying in my country for 2 to 3 weeks for this task. I was planning to study for the May 30th MCAT during the winter break in the US since I probably won't have time to study during the spring semester so that I can get a great score. Do you guys think it's ok for me to go back to my country and sacrifice the studying time I have during winter break? If I go back to my country during winter break, I can start studying for MCAT from January until May which is like 5 months and the entire month of May is basically school-free since my school ends around end of April. I could technically study in my country, but I am afraid that I can't really focus on anything academic if I go back since it would feel kind of like a vacation.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I am planning to take the MCAT around end of May and I am thinking about going back to my country during winter break because I have to do something important. My winter break is about 3.5 weeks (mid december~early Jan) so my parents suggested staying in my country for 2 to 3 weeks for this task. I was planning to study for the May 30th MCAT during the winter break in the US since I probably won't have time to study during the spring semester so that I can get a great score. Do you guys think it's ok for me to go back to my country and sacrifice the studying time I have during winter break? If I go back to my country during winter break, I can start studying for MCAT from January until May which is like 5 months and the entire month of May is basically school-free since my school ends around end of April. I could technically study in my country, but I am afraid that I can't really focus on anything academic if I go back since it would feel kind of like a vacation.

thanks.

It's up to you if you feel confident enough that you can train yourself to study 5 months straight. If you can't focus on the trip, then I wouldn't even bother.

It's up to you if you feel confident enough that you can train yourself to study 5 months straight. If you can't focus on the trip, then I wouldn't even bother.

Hahahahahahaah the best response "train yourself" lololololol

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone with most of my family in another country, I understand that we don't have as many opportunities to go back and that when we do, it is usually for something fairly important. So I think that you should still go (then again, I don't know how often you go back to your home country but for me, I'm only able to go every 3-5 years). I would still take your review books with you so that you have something to do on the flights there and back and during any "down" time that you have. Make sure you plan your time efficiently during the spring semester time frame. If needed though, be open to the possibility of pushing your MCAT back to the next testing date.

So do most people find it extremely difficult to study effectively during the semester and get a good score?