winter interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have an interview at GW on dec. 9th

do i have to/should i get a trenchcoat for my suit?
i'm assuming the suit and jacket will be too cold, and would also look stupid to show up to the interview w/

also, idk how it is in that area in december, but i know ct will be cold

Members don't see this ad.

C.P. Jones said:
i have an interview at GW on dec. 9th

do i have to/should i get a trenchcoat for my suit?
i'm assuming the suit and jacket will be too cold, and would also look stupid to show up to the interview w/

also, idk how it is in that area in december, but i know ct will be cold

D.C. in December is going to be in the low 40s-low 30s but unlikely to be below 20. (It is usually about 10 degrees warmer than CT.) That said, you certainly can't go in with just a suit jacket. You are going to need an overcoat or something to go over your suit. Whatever you wear, it is likely that you'll be offered a place to hang your coat before you meet the interviewer so don't worry about that. You can often find a nice winter overcoat in a thrift shop if new isn't in your budget. If you are in CT you certainly have something that you wear outdoors in December.

thanks LizzyM

actually for a long time i just had a UConn coat w/ a husky and all....not a good suit coat :)

and i had the impression that the long trenchcoats were the only acceptable coat, but i did just buy a nice coat, and i asked my parental units, and they said it will be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview in CT in January and I'm kinda worried about what I'm going to wear, especially coming from so-cal. Someone said that the winter clothes they sell here aren't warm enough for outdoors CT in January. Would a wool coat over a suit be enough?? What about my legs?? Should I get a long trench coat? any suggestions are helpful!

scarf. theyre so attractive...too bad i never get to see them in texas. oh, on girls that is

The jcrew thinsulate lined coats are the best IMO ... stylish AND functional. I agree w/ shredder... invest in a nice scarf, preferably cashmere because wool tends to shed unsightly fibers

I ran into a similar situation going to Chicago... about a week before going, I had a brilliant idea that should have dawned on me earlier - BORROW ONE from somebody that has lived in a cold place before... save a bunch of money this way.

What about women's attire for an interview in Michigan in December? I get cold if it drops below 80 F.

kaffy said:
What about women's attire for an interview in Michigan in December? I get cold if it drops below 80 F.

i was going to ask where you were from and then saw it in your profile....makes sense

i get hot if it goes above 70 F

C.P. Jones said:
i was going to ask where you were from and then saw it in your profile....makes sense

i get hot if it goes above 70 F

I think it takes about a year to get used to a different climate. Most of my family lives in the north, now. They get hot if it gets above 70, too.

Oh yeah, and they make fun of me for sleeping in a coat when I visit them

Get a nice long coat that is lined and with something soft and made of wool on the outside. A nice long peacoat would look very professional. Then be sure to add a scarf and some gloves, but skip a hat because it may flatten/static cling your hair up, and that is no good!

I don't know about it taking a year to get used to climate. I've lived in the Northeast for 5 years now ( :eek: ) but I still get freezing when it gets below 60. And everybody complains when it's 90+ out but I just love it.

now I'm nostalgic...I want to move back south

Anyway, I have a nice coat I'm going to wear for winter interviews (if I actually have any). I think I'm going to get a scarf for this winter, too. I still don't own a scarf or gloves. I have to give in, though :(
But really you can probably wear any coat at all. You're probably going to hang it up before your interview, anyway.

I was worrying a lot about interview attire for my first few interviews, but then I sort of chilled out. And at Jefferson I needed tohave my bag with me because it had my lunch in it, and I was told I wouldn't be able to access it during the day. It's just a blue tote bag (well, it has the AECOM logo on it, but I put the other side facing out :p). I was a bit worried that it looked un-professional, but in the end it didn't matter at all.

ok, so i have another question about GW and transportation....i didn't want to start a new thread just for this though:

i'm flying in to BWI, and am staying at the holiday inn...BWI is about 30 miles away....i hear there is a Super Shuttle or such that i believe would cost about 30 dollars one way....a taxi would probably be around 50

does anyone actually KNOW that this super shuttle does go from BWI to anywhere in DC?

maybe i can make a friend and split a cab, but that probably won't be happening

Yes, super shuttle from BWI goes anywhere in DC, but a lot of cab drivers will stand around the super shuttle desk and offer flat rates of $40 or so. Also, I've seen strangers meet at the super shuttle desk, got approached by a cabbie, and decided to split a cab ride with each other.

So best bet, just go to the SS desk downstairs, and decide from there.

Another option is the bus that goes from BWI directly to the greenbelt metro station (green line). It is only $3 each way, and the metro will cost about $3 to get to foggy bottom (you will have to switch to the blue/orange line). It is really straightforward and would save you a lot of money if that is an issue.

As for the coat, definitely try to borrow/ don't sweat it too much. It was 70 degrees here today, and of course it will probably be colder in a few weeks, but it would be sad to spend a lot of money on a joacket and not need it.

miss bean said:
Another option is the bus that goes from BWI directly to the greenbelt metro station (green line). It is only $3 each way, and the metro will cost about $3 to get to foggy bottom (you will have to switch to the blue/orange line). It is really straightforward and would save you a lot of money if that is an issue.

As for the coat, definitely try to borrow/ don't sweat it too much. It was 70 degrees here today, and of course it will probably be colder in a few weeks, but it would be sad to spend a lot of money on a joacket and not need it.

thanks all for the help everyone....maybe i can take the bus to the metro station and take a taxi from there since i'm staying the night b4 and don't know where my hotel is....i guess the taxi from the station can't be more than 5 dollars

but, yea, i guess i'll figure it all out when i get to the SS desk area