Wireless networks at med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your school has a wireless network, does connecting with the network allow you full access to the internet (the ability to use chat programs, play multiplayer games, etc) or does it only allow you to use a web browser?

If it allows full access, I'm thinking 4 on 4 Starcraft during boring lectures is in order. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Alexander99 said:
If your school has a wireless network, does connecting with the network allow you full access to the internet (the ability to use chat programs, play multiplayer games, etc) or does it only allow you to use a web browser?

If it allows full access, I'm thinking 4 on 4 Starcraft during boring lectures is in order. :thumbup:

Dartmouth had an all-wireless campus when I was an undergrad there, including the med school, the skiway, and the hospital.

We had full access to the internet.

anyone know what parts of Columbia Med Center are wireless?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander99 said:

Hehehe, you remind me of some of my friends. They're already playing constantly. I think that if more of them had laptops, we'd def see some 2 on 6, extreme difficulty Starcraft during class...

Alexander99 said:

I've talked to many a student on AIM while the student was in a lecture hall at Berkeley or Stanford, I'm assuming that at UCSD this will be the case too Alex. I'm thinking multi-tasking... get my online errands done during the ****ty lecture of the day :)

Eraserhead said:
I've talked to many a student on AIM while the student was in a lecture hall at Berkeley or Stanford, I'm assuming that at UCSD this will be the case too Alex. I'm thinking multi-tasking... get my online errands done during the ****ty lecture of the day :)

Yet another reason why I'm going to UCSD. Heh.

Technically to play starcraft/warcraft and the like, you wouldn't need wireless access. All you'd need to do is set up an ad-hoc network (kinda like if you were to do ethernet with a crossover cable), and everybody would be able to play. All you'd need would be the laptops and wireless cards!

Alexander99 said:
Yet another reason why I'm going to UCSD. Heh.

God, every few days I think about UCSD and get all these shivers up and down my spine, we are so lucky to be going and I'm so damn excited. I'm moving down there so soon... :D

i hope all of you guys going to ucsd enjoy yourself. i went to undergrad there and it definitely has its bads and goods. and i know lots of people currently going to medical school there...any questions just ask.

novangel81 said:
i hope all of you guys going to ucsd enjoy yourself. i went to undergrad there and it definitely has its bads and goods. and i know lots of people currently going to medical school there...any questions just ask.

What are the goods and bads :)

Eraserhead said:
What are the goods and bads :)

Well where should I begin? I know that the student body there is definitely not the friendliest and people are super competitive and UCSD likes it that way. There aren't any problems when it comes to fin. aid or anything that really matters towards school. I guess the bad would really just be the people you might encounter. Trust me not everyone is horrible, but there are some.

The only other thing that I would say is that the people I know that go to school there are definitely glad this year is almost over because it has been way too grooling. And they also tell me that they are glad I decided not to apply to school there. I guess sometimes reputation isn't everything!

But anything else u want to know just let me know...bye!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
novangel81 said:
Well where should I begin? I know that the student body there is definitely not the friendliest and people are super competitive and UCSD likes it that way. There aren't any problems when it comes to fin. aid or anything that really matters towards school. I guess the bad would really just be the people you might encounter. Trust me not everyone is horrible, but there are some.

The only other thing that I would say is that the people I know that go to school there are definitely glad this year is almost over because it has been way too grooling. And they also tell me that they are glad I decided not to apply to school there. I guess sometimes reputation isn't everything!

But anything else u want to know just let me know...bye!!!!

I've worked with 20-25 med students (years 1-4) and they seem really cool and I can actually get along with them. I guess it's possible though that since they all volunteer at the clinic, the population I work with is biased towards those that have better personalities.

The way I see it though, I'm going to med school to get my degree. I'd be totally happy if I made good friends along the way but it'd be more of a bonus than an expecation of mine.

Alexander99 said:
I've worked with 20-25 med students (years 1-4) and they seem really cool and I can actually get along with them. I guess it's possible though that since they all volunteer at the clinic, the population I work with is biased towards those that have better personalities.

The way I see it though, I'm going to med school to get my degree. I'd be totally happy if I made good friends along the way but it'd be more of a bonus than an expecation of mine.

LOL that's good to know. What about all the students that move down there with no friends? Are we all just going to huddle together while Alex ignores us?

I'm going to join the free clinic the first quarter I think. I've done one up here for over 5 years and I can't imagine life w/o it. I'd imagine that this is where the more personable people are too.

Eraserhead said:
LOL that's good to know. What about all the students that move down there with no friends? Are we all just going to huddle together while Alex ignores us?

I'm going to join the free clinic the first quarter I think. I've done one up here for over 5 years and I can't imagine life w/o it. I'd imagine that this is where the more personable people are too.

Nah. I won't ignore you as long as you're halfway interesting. I can actually get along with 90% of people on a superficial level.

I heard there's a lottery to work at the free clinic so you sort of have to get lucky to start there your first quarter.

Alexander99 said:
Nah. I won't ignore you as long as you're halfway interesting. I can actually get along with 90% of people on a superficial level.

I heard there's a lottery to work at the free clinic so you sort of have to get lucky to start there your first quarter.

Yeah, I hope to get lucky with the clinics. If I meet at least two classmates that I can relate to on a non-superficial level I'll be satisfied. Second look I wasn't sure that would happen.

Eraserhead said:
Yeah, I hope to get lucky with the clinics. If I meet at least two classmates that I can relate to on a non-superficial level I'll be satisfied. Second look I wasn't sure that would happen.

Second look seemed to be filled with fools that seemed to have gotten accepted to "better" schools and were intent on announcing to everyone how they were only considering UCSD but wasn't sure whether they'd go there.

I consider UCSD to be the supermodel of med schools. You can only deny how good it looks for so long. (Was that deep or what?)

Alexander99 said:
Second look seemed to be filled with fools that seemed to have gotten accepted to "better" schools and were intent on announcing to everyone how they were only considering UCSD but wasn't sure whether they'd go there.

I consider UCSD to be the supermodel of med schools. You can only deny how good it looks for so long. (Was that deep or what?)

It does look great. The whole campus looks great actually, I think I like it better than Berkeley's campus. I met a few of those people, people were actually debating about whether or not to take UCSF, Columbia, and Yale over SD. Why why why I ask?

(I think I'm hijacking all threads with UCSD talk)

the undergrad campus has wireless all around. i'd assume the medical school has it too..

t733nu5 said:
the undergrad campus has wireless all around. i'd assume the medical school has it too..

When you log on, do you have full internet access (chat programs, multiplayer games, etc) or can you only browse the web? I read the instructions on how to log onto the network and it said you have to try to open a ucsd network webpage with your web browser and log on that way to access non-ucsd websites. This made me wonder whether you're limited to web browsing once you're logged on or whether you have an active internet connection.

Eraserhead said:
It does look great. The whole campus looks great actually, I think I like it better than Berkeley's campus. I met a few of those people, people were actually debating about whether or not to take UCSF, Columbia, and Yale over SD. Why why why I ask?

(I think I'm hijacking all threads with UCSD talk)

I think even if I had gotten into Yale (and perhaps even Columbia), I would have attended UCSD anyway. Location is huge for me. I think UCSF is one school I'd actually automatically go to instead of SD.

Carrying this analogy further, I equate a med school's location/campus to a girl's looks and its academic reputation to her personality. You've gotta admit. Looks do matter. :) (conicidentally, UCSD has both looks and personality according to this analogy)

Alexander99 said:
When you log on, do you have full internet access (chat programs, multiplayer games, etc) or can you only browse the web? I read the instructions on how to log onto the network and it said you have to try to open a ucsd network webpage with your web browser and log on that way to access non-ucsd websites. This made me wonder whether you're limited to web browsing once you're logged on or whether you have an active internet connection.

as far as i know you can do all of the above. all you need is your ucsd e-mail username and password. once you're logged on, have fun :thumbup:

t733nu5 said:
as far as i know you can do all of the above. all you need is your ucsd e-mail username and password. once you're logged on, have fun :thumbup:

Too bad I go to the gym right after my classes and I'm not about to keep my laptop in my car while I work out. Maybe I'll take it down to UCSD one weekend just to test it out.

is ucla wireless too?? i know usc undergrad recently went wireless.

Alexander99 said:
Too bad I go to the gym right after my classes and I'm not about to keep my laptop in my car while I work out. Maybe I'll take it down to UCSD one weekend just to test it out.

where do you go to school right now?