wiretapping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggscal99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has been the subject of court-authorized wiretapping before? Got a letter today from the court saying that I was the subject of wiretapping (phone & text) not long ago over a period of one month, apparently requested by 'Major Narcotics Divisions'. I'm a law-abiding citizen, no history, have NEVER written any controlled-substance prescription in my life except during residency, practicing in OR and nowhere else, never had any problem with drug discrepancy. Does this happen commonly?! Just feel like personal privacy is utterly violated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone here has been the subject of court-authorized wiretapping before? Got a letter today from the court saying that I was the subject of wiretapping (phone & text) not long ago over a period of one month, apparently requested by 'Major Narcotics Divisions'. I'm a law-abiding citizen, no history, have NEVER written any controlled-substance prescription in my life except during residency, practicing in OR and nowhere else, never had any problem with drug discrepancy. Does this happen commonly?! Just feel like personal privacy is utterly violated.

Judges are reluctant to sign wiretap warrants without very good reason. Federal wiretaps require the signature of the Chief Judge of a district court, not just any judge.

Were you caught up in this mess, perhaps guilty by association?
With a single warrant, US feds listened in on 3.3 million phone calls

Last edited:
Judges are reluctant to sign wiretap warrants without very good reason. Federal wiretaps require the signature of the Chief Judge of a district court, not just any judge.

Were you caught up in this mess, perhaps guilty by association?
With a single warrant, US feds listened in on 3.3 million phone calls

Thanks for the info. Similar time frame, but I'm in SoCal. So according to the letter, in December 2015 the "Los Angeles County Superior Court issued an order authorizing 30-day interception of wire communications"... and terminated in February 2016. The letter was sent by LA DA office Bureau of specialized prosecutions, major narcotics division. According to what I found, this type of wiretapping is only authorized when there's "probable cause to believe that someone is committing, has committed, or is about to commit... serious drug crimes (manufacturing, possession for sale, or selling or transportation) involving more than three (3) pounds or ten (10) gallons of heroin, cocaine, PCP, or meth (but not, for example, marijuana)." Jesus Christ. How did I get involved in this?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Similar time frame, but I'm in SoCal. So according to the letter, in December 2015 the "Los Angeles County Superior Court issued an order authorizing 30-day interception of wire communications"... and terminated in February 2016. The letter was sent by LA DA office Bureau of specialized prosecutions, major narcotics division. According to what I found, this type of wiretapping is only authorized when there's "probable cause to believe that someone is committing, has committed, or is about to commit... serious drug crimes (manufacturing, possession for sale, or selling or transportation) involving more than three (3) pounds or ten (10) gallons of heroin, cocaine, PCP, or meth (but not, for example, marijuana)." Jesus Christ. How did I get involved in this?!

Not you, but maybe person with same name. Or an ax to grind.

Like they were not already reading all your texts and emails, and listening to your phone calls.

Haven't you heard of Snowden?

If this was a federal wiretap you could submit a Freedom of Information Act request for all the documentation which supported approving the wiretap warrant. However, if this was a state or local wiretap I don't think FOIA applies to those non-federal jurisdictions. I'd recommend starting at the L.A. County clerk of court (since they issued the warrant) for their documentation. Hopefully it's discoverable unless sealed by the court.

And as someone already mentioned, someone with an ax to grind with you may be behind this. My father-in-law was reported to the DEA for supposedly running a narcotic pill-mill clinic by an LPN he had previously fired for cause. The DEA took the LPN's word as gospel truth justification for a search warrant of his clinic.

Tell us about all that sexting you did before it becomes public record :D

On a serious note it' gotta be kind of disturbing.

I just assume people are listening to/reading everything, or at least some giant computer system in a warehouse in middle America.
I can't say I really care. But I'm a pretty simple guy.
I care

If this happened to me I would probably bankrupt myself hiring the most aggressive, angriest, coked up lawyers to pursue those responsible. I'd make Fred Goldman look like a guy who didn't care.

Reactions: 1 users