Wisdom please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together the first draft of my personal statement and would like a little advice from those of you who have lived through this application process already.
AACOMS has a spot on the primary app for personal comments, yet most schools ask for a personal statement-type essay with the secondary app.
So do I save the essay I'm shaping for the secondary and just give a prelude on the primary? Or am I completely misunderstanding what they are providing room for on the primary.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-J

Members don't see this ad.

The essay prompts on secondary applications are usually a little different from what you'll find for the AACOMAS form. Usually a secondary will ask you to tell the admissions committee why you want to go to their school in particular, while on the AACOMAS form, you'll more often than not be writing an essay about why you want to be a physician (or, in this case, an osteopathic physician).

Do both of them. Don't take the chance of not writing anything for the AACOMAS essay just because it says "optional."

W.

Be ready to write several essays in this process. The AACOMAS is basically an open ended essay, you can write anything you want about yourself or motivation for medicine. The secondary apps ask space limited questions such as why should we accept you into this year's class? Why are one's personal honor and integrity important in the medical profession? Describe your medical experience? What personal qualities would make you a good physician? Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician? Why do you wish to attend this medical school? What additional information should we have in order to fairly evaluate your candidacy? What activities had special significance for you and why? And the list goes on, so start thinking and writing? If you have yet to apply, perhaps you can get copies of some old applications to get an idea of this. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys,
One of the reasons I brought this question to you all was that a friend of mine who was recently admitted to an Osteopathic program insists that the essay on the primary is largely overlooked, and the secondary essays are most important.
But, I'm going to check out those old secondary apps -good advice- and give that primary the essay I've nearly completed.
Thanks again,
-J

Hiya,

My essay writing strategy was to give a general overview in the primary essay. A teaser to make the ADCOM's want to know more.

I made the secondary essays a continuation of the primary essay but I added alot more detail and I went to the trouble of explaining how my particular assets and traits are suited for each particular school.

W.U.A.S.

oh boy, delurking twice today to answer questions!

i've heard it said that the primary essay isn't taken as seriously. whether or not this is true is beside the point. my biggest piece of advice: use every bit of BOTH applications to sell yourself. now, obviously, you can't really do much about your numbers. they speak for themselves. but many of the questions on either application can be used to paint yourself in the best light possible. (i know this sounds goofy and self-promoting and that's because IT IS. your application can be seen as one big act of self-promotion.) take the "honors" questions for example. they give you 2 square inches to list your honors, awards, etc. obviously, you can't put everything in there (premeds tend to rack up stuff like that) so you put in the best stuff. the essays should be the same way. ok enough of that.

here's something that may help. it's an assignment. (forgive me for being pedantic, it's midnight.) i want you to write ONE essay. the first part of it should address why you're interested in medicine. this section of your essay will address philosophy, motivation, life experience, etc. but don't go tell me about your interest in medicine right off the bat. instead, tell me why you're interested in science. what life events did you go through to give you that interest - or was it innate? what motivates you to read about electron transport on a saturday night. (you see my point.) next, tell me why you're interested in health. what life events...what motivation... finally, tell me why medicine. (same questions). don't be afraid to be forthright even if you think it sounds corny. if you're going into medicine because your beloved uncle billy died of brain cancer when you were six, say so. if you have a particular incident in your life that started you down the road to becoming a doc, share it here.

the second part of your essay should address ACTION. so you decided you wanted to be a doc. what did you do about it? did you volunteer someplace? did you engage in research? did you shadow docs? what have you done to educate yourself about your chosen profession? what have you learned? do you know what kind of medicine you're interested in? why? be compelling. if there's something you experienced while you were out educating yourself about health and medicine that convinced you more than ever you want to be a doc, share it here.

when you're done with all that, you should have the basis for a good primary and good generic secondary essay. you'll obviously have to tailor things a bit on the secondary... why this school, etc. but the core of it will be there.

it's 12:15 and i've written an essay of my own! good luck with your app. i've been there, several times and i appreciate how you feel. i'm sleepy, it's time for bed.

Whew, now I'm motivated.
Thanks healthydawg.

-J

you're welcome californiagirl. i hope it works out for you. let me know if there's anything else i can do to help.

Not to scare you all but when I interviewed at KCOM, we, the applicants, were asked to write an essay during the course of our interviews that day. It was like the MCAT writing sample all over again.

I just interviewed, and got accepted to KCOM. We were not made to write an essay during the course of our interview. I hope this eases your stress.

Toran

During my interview at PCOM, they did make reference to my essay on the primary. For the most part, I feel it was just to *point out that they read it*. I don't think it is usually scruitized.

The secondary essays are a lot more important.

Wow, an essay during the interview process. As if there isn't enough stress that day!

Good luck. Have fun with the essay. After you get into med school you probably won't have to write another paper for a long while!

(I can barely write a sentence since I started studying for COMPLEX 1 coming up in less than 3 months!!!)

------------------
-mz

I am also in the process of getting ready to apply with AACOMAS this summer. While looking over last year's application, I noticed that they only give you about a half a page to address two specific questions: 1) what your goals are, and 2) why osteopathy?

Would those of you who have already applied say that this is a different type of essay than the AAMC application? I think it is, but after reading the posts regarding this topic, I feel like I may have missed something (as people are giving advice on writing an entire essay and not just half a page focused on addressing goals and osteopathy). Would someone please help clarify this for me (and the rest of us who are applying this summer)? Thanks!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by PalCareGrl (edited March 31, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by PalCareGrl:
I am also in the process of getting ready to apply with AACOMAS this summer. While looking over last year's application, I noticed that they only give you about a half a page to address two specific questions: 1) what your goals are, and 2) why osteopathy?

Would those of you who have already applied say that this is a different type of essay than the AAMC application? I think it is, but after reading the posts regarding this topic, I feel like I may have missed something (as people are giving advice on writing an entire essay and not just half a page focused on addressing goals and osteopathy). Would someone please help clarify this for me (and the rest of us who are applying this summer)? Thanks!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by PalCareGrl (edited March 31, 2001).]

Just my personal experience. You're right! The AMCAS application leaves much more room for your personal statement, whereas the AACOMAS does not! When I approached my personal statement, I looked at it as why medicine...ESPECIALLY osteopathy! The osteopathic schools are very different in their application approach. For the secondarys they will ask you more essays, which I thought were more important than the general AACOMAS. Don't get me wrong, it is imortant, but you can't explain everything you would like to in whatever space it is they give you guys. Personally, I can't even remember what I wrote in my personal statement on AACOMAS, and have never been asked about it at an interview. I do know one girl at UHS who was asked about her AACOMAS and she actually had to ask to see it because she couldn't remember what she wrote. Obviously they weren't offended because she got in!

Most importantly, don't rush through the application process. It is very discouraging at times sending check after check, and writing essay after essay...while studying for exams and what not...on top of that stupid MCAT! Relax and you all will do fine.

Moral of the story. AACOMAS = important. Secondary = VERY important!

If there are any questions feel free to email me.

delurking again to answer a post above re: AMCAS vs. AACOMAS...

i advised californiagirl to write one essay as an excercise. see my post above. i think it's an exercise that would be beneficial for anyone to go through regardless of whether they are going MD or DO or both. IMHO, i think writing one essay (as an EXERCISE) forces you to come up with logical answers as to why science, why health, why medicine, as for those going the DO route, why osteopathy.

as for whether or not the primary is read, i think it's a non-issue. use it to promote yourself; you never know who will read it and who won't. if you're really worried about it, i think it's better to err on the side of caution and assume it is going to be read. as for the secondary, you can be certain that it will be read and thus, it should be very strong. that's why i advised writing about ACTIONS there. know that some interviewers who take their jobs very seriously may read the secondary first and then go back and see what you had to say on the primary. the last thing you want is for these two essays to conflict. they should be part of the same story.

having said all that, of course it's true that aacomas leaves you very little space to write down your goals, motivations, answers to why osteopathy, etc. all this does is force you to be succinct. maybe AMCAS gives you more space... anyway, if you write one big essay as i suggested, you can tease out the important bits about goals, etc., and put them on the primary. then fold the rest of the stuff into the beginning of your secondary.

time to relurk... good luck to all, i hope you get in.

I don't know about the rest of the applicants this year, but the most difficult thing for me with respect to this whole personal statement thing has been writing about myself. I can write about a friend, or a family member with no problem...but about myself? I freeze up.
But I'm in the process of attempting to condense the thoughts floating around in my head by following Healthydawg's advice. So far, it's been very very helpful. Maybe I just needed an assignment
smile.gif

Try it out...
-J

I agree with what you said, healthydawg, I guess I misunderstood about the whole essay thing, sorry. It is a good idea, especially for those who have never had to advertise themselves - I find it difficult to write about myself also, CaliforniaGirl. What I did last time (I applied to allopathic schools two years ago) for my essay was rewrite again and again and get people that knew me involved so that they could give me LOTS of feedback. Ask your friends and family what they feel are your strenghts. That helped me to start out writing last time, and I kind of built on it for this time around. Hope that helps a little.
smile.gif
Liz