Wish I would have applied there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish I didn't apply to:
- All SUNY Schools...except Upstate :D
- Cornell ---> what the **** was I smoking?
- NYU ---> I was smoking the same thing when I applied to Cornell
- Indiana ---> I secretly want to live in Anytown, U.S.A.
- Vermont ---> I wish I knew "several weeks" ago not to waste my money here
- MCW ---> The dean moonlights as a spammer, that's right...the "favorably reviewed" and "enlarge your penis" e-mail is from the same guy!!! :eek:
- All the schools in NY (except Upstate) :D

I wish I did apply to:
- any school that has/will spend more than 5 min looking at my file before congratulating themselves on acquiring a new coaster.

Members don't see this ad.

Wish I applied to:

Emory
UPitt

Wish I didn't:

SIU
Boston
Tufts

jbrice1639 said:
i know...i just like watching people talk about chicago like it's a farm town of 500 where everyone is everyone else's cousin and they all wear overalls with no shirts or shoes :smuggrin:

I've never heard anyone talk about Chicago in that way... I guess there are those people who have never left their region though and are kind of myopic. I think everyone knows that its by far the 3rd biggest city in the country however.

I really doubt that guy meant to bash Chicago though. It's rare to meet someone bash something they know absolutely nothing about... but they're out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
ctwickman said:
What do you mean by schools "over there" and what "seemed a bit weird" to you?

WOAH calm down! ahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha

i didn't mean to make fun of chicago...idk where ppl get any mentioning of chicago as a town w/ 500 ppl...if that's the stereotype ppl think fits w/ chicago, then so be it, but i never said that, nor do i think so....and 2 ppl in my lab are from chicago, so why would i make fun of it

yes, i guess my wording of saying it's "weird" does make it seem like i'm calling chicago weird, but i really just said that b/c i've never been to chicago, and didn't really want to go there for school

anyway, sry, but i would still like to know why everyone is saying they wished to apply to UChicago

maybe it's b/c i want to go to a city where the football team has an offense....that's right, i said it :p j/k, i'm cool w/ the bears.....and i actually hate the teams of the cities i did apply to....hmmmmm

ctwickman said:
I really doubt that guy meant to bash Chicago though. It's rare to meet someone bash something they know absolutely nothing about... but they're out there.

ok, you did realize i didn't mean it...thanks :D

C.P. Jones said:
anyway, sry, but i would still like to know why everyone is saying they wished to apply to UChicago

hey cp,

you missed the post that answered your question as you replied to this chicago thing

and you're the greatest

- cp

sry for another post, but i was looking at the MSAR

by UChicago...are you guys talking about UIC or Pritzker....i'm assuming UIC

and if so, the 04-05 msar says out of state 162 out of 2165 were interviewed...i didn't think that's that good of a number, so either all of you are in state or i'm missing something...or maybe those numbers are actually good for a state school?

C.P. Jones said:
sry for another post, but i was looking at the MSAR

by UChicago...are you guys talking about UIC or Pritzker....i'm assuming UIC

and if so, the 04-05 msar says out of state 162 out of 2165 were interviewed...i didn't think that's that good of a number, so either all of you are in state or i'm missing something...or maybe those numbers are actually good for a state school?

the school of medicine at u of chicago (private) is pritzker. uic is the university of illinois at chicago (public). like a good number of private schools (u penn, u miami, etc.) u chicago does have an in-state admissions bias, due to funding from the state.

RayhanS1282 said:
MCW ---> The dean moonlights as a spammer, that's right...the "favorably reviewed" and "enlarge your penis" e-mail is from the same guy!!! :eek:

You've come to the same conclusion as I have. :laugh:

BU even though they would've rejected me. i sat on that essay for so long that i forgot about the application. oh well....pointless to have regrets over this sorta thing (coulda woulda shoulda)

U of Kentucky

-7 essays (no limit) but I still should have.

Wish I didn't apply to:

Columbia
Temple
Albany Medical College

Wish I did apply to:

UMich
Pritzker

FictionalGirl said:
For a reduced rate of $50 you may e-mail me your boston secondary, I will read it (more than they'll do, hehe), and forward you my rejection letter, so you can feel that you had the same BU experience the rest of us did *grin* just kidding

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.

Anymore shoulda/woulda/couldas out there?

... Don't you all wish you knew as much about the application process now when we were submitting primaries last June? Haha. So silly.

-I personally wouldn't have applied to: SUNY schools, Albany, New York Med, Jefferson, Brown, Rosalind Franklin, Penn State, Wayne State...

I think I would've taken that money/time and applied to different schools I had crossed off my lists for badly justified reasons. At least you live and learn :p

JSK44 said:
... Don't you all wish you knew as much about the application process now when we were submitting primaries last June? Haha. So silly.

-I personally wouldn't have applied to: SUNY schools, Albany, New York Med, Jefferson, Brown, Rosalind Franklin, Penn State, Wayne State...

I think I would've taken that money/time and applied to different schools I had crossed off my lists for badly justified reasons. At least you live and learn :p

AGREED! I would have deleted about half of the schools I applied to, and would have added the SUNY schools, esp Upstate! :D

If I could do it over again:
I would NOT apply to:
UCSF and Harvard
Baylor (the August MCAT they no likey)

I would have applied to:
Stanford
Northwestern
U of Chicago
Yale

Wish I HADN'T applied to:
RFU/CMS, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, PennState, Wayne State, MSUCHM.

Wish I HAD applied to:

Mayo. Even though there's no way I would have gotten in with my semi-average stats, I have realized that this is my dream school.

*sigh*... at least I can apply for residency there... not to mention they have programs in scottsdale and jacksonville for what I want to do. (not that I couldn't handle rochester's winters or anything... ;) )

C.P. Jones said:
We are talking about Pritzker, not UIC. Besides what Sanford already nicely laid out, I'd add the following:

-midwestern friendliness, at the school and in general
-cheaper COL than in the NE or CA (though still more expensive than I'm used to :p )
-financial aid: Chicago considers non-trads over age 30 to be independent for need-based aid, and they give out several merit scholarships as well.
-strength in the physical sciences: the first nuclear chain reactions were done at U Chicago, and there is even a monument to Fermi on the campus. I saw some Japanese tourists taking pictures of it when I visited. :D One of my good friends, who is a physicist, is totally jealous; he got rejected by Chicago for grad school and had to "settle" for going to an Ivy school instead. :p
-P/F grading
-many students who have taken time off after college and have some life experiences, even if it's only one year off and they're basically still of traditional age. I agree with Sanford that it's a very non-trad friendly place, and that in fact they don't just tolerate non-trads, they actually want us.
-just the general eclectic, maverick feel of the place. There are people doing MD/PhD programs in physical sciences, social sciences, and humanities. Lots of people earn dual degrees. You can research just about any aspect of medicine here that you want.

I wish I HADN'T applied to Temple (I have no idea why I applied here; I guess at some point I thought it would be an okay match for me) and Cornell (because I never had, have, or will have a chance in hell of gaining acceptance as evidenced by rejection letter received earlier this week). That's $200 bucks right there, and that's 2/3 of a new ipod. Darn.

I wish I had applied to UPitt... it was on my original list, but I took it off when I was trying to decrease my app fees. I also wish I had known that I would like UMass so much b/c I definitely would have applied to less schools - probably wouldn't have bothered with GW or Jefferson (I'm on hold at GW and haven't heard from Jeff - waste of money since I wouldn't bother going to an interview at either now...). *sigh*

I would NOT have applied to GW, Tufts, or UNC. I'm on hold at GW (which I now admit was a good call on their part) and declined my interview at Tufts. UNC never made sense because I'm OOS and don't want to go to school in NC.

Wish I applied to: UCSF

Wish I'd applied to Duke (secondary burnout) and UCLA (was erroneously told that they didn't accept AP credit).

So what's the CSTP at UPitt? I kinda jumped the gun on withdrawing from there, and am wondering what else I missed out on.

chef_NU said:
Wish I applied to:

Emory
UPitt

Wish I didn't:

SIU
Boston
Tufts

man, i told you to apply to pittsburgh! your punk ass didn't listen. :cool:

goodeats said:
Wish I'd applied to Duke (secondary burnout) and UCLA (was erroneously told that they didn't accept AP credit).

So what's the CSTP at UPitt? I kinda jumped the gun on withdrawing from there, and am wondering what else I missed out on.
Sorry, it's actually called the Clinical Research Training Program (CRTP). Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.icre.pitt.edu/crtp/

mashce said:
If I could do it over again:
I would NOT apply to:
UCSF and Harvard
Baylor (the August MCAT they no likey)

I would have applied to:
Stanford
Northwestern
U of Chicago
Yale

What didn't you like about UCSF and Harvard?

Hey Q, is your sn in a slightly different color than everybody else's, or is it just me?

Georgetown, just because I'm living in DC now, and it would be nice to get a local interview :)

QofQuimica said:
Yes, it is. I'm a sort of moderator for the MCAT subforum only. My actual title is "volunteer advisor."

Oh, okay then. :)

SanDiegoSOD said:
Georgetown, just because I'm living in DC now, and it would be nice to get a local interview :)

So what did you think of that random thunderstorm we had two nights ago? It was 61 degrees outside before it started raining. In January. The weather here sure is weird. I guess it keeps it interesting though.

tacrum43 said:
Hey Q, is your sn in a slightly different color than everybody else's, or is it just me?

wow, i would have never noticed that until you said it

ChocolateKiss said:
What didn't you like about UCSF and Harvard?

A variety of different factors, but mainly the fact that they don't like me enough to interview me :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
I've actually had one or two people PM me to ask about it. Why this is so much of a concern, I don't know. :smuggrin: Personally, I wish Lee had made me purple instead of navy. :love:

I still can't tell the difference. Am I color blind or is it my computer?

mashce said:
I still can't tell the difference. Am I color blind or is it my computer?
It's subtle. Y'all are royal blue and I'm more of a navy. Most people don't notice, and then every so often someone like tacrum does and then asks about it.

tacrum43 said:
lmao, it's not a value judgment. You're just the most recent SDNer who has asked me about it. I've been navy since last June, and most people don't even notice, but you and a few other people did. I think like two or three people PMd me and now you've asked here in this thread. Ok, so now that we've TOTALLY hijacked this thread to talk about something trivial and ridiculous.... :p Sorry to the OP. :oops:

QofQuimica said:
Ok, so now that we've TOTALLY hijacked this thread to talk about something trivial and ridiculous.... :p Sorry to the OP. :oops:

:laugh: Don't worry, I'm the OP. And I fully support trivial and ridiculous tangents. :thumbup:

tacrum43 said:
:laugh: Don't worry, I'm the OP. And I fully support trivial and ridiculous tangents. :thumbup:
You hijacked your own thread!

NapeSpikes said:
You hijacked your own thread!

Yeah, I'm pretty crafty like that.

By the way, congrats on all of your recent interviews NapeSpikes, you're raking them in! :thumbup:

tacrum43 said:
Yeah, I'm pretty crafty like that.

By the way, congrats on all of your recent interviews NapeSpikes, you're raking them in! :thumbup:
Are echidna's known for their craftiness?

And thanks for the congrats. I feel very, very blessed to have these opportunities.

NapeSpikes said:
Are echidna's known for their craftiness?

And thanks for the congrats. I feel very, very blessed to have these opportunities.

You know, I really don't know how crafty or not the average echidna is. :eek: