wishful thinking??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wluuvagirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated from college this past June with a BS in Biology (pre-med), and hastely decided that I wanted to go to dental school. I took the DAT and scored only average, my GPA is 3.49 from a good school. Presently, I am doing research in an internal medicine department. I believe that my applications and scores just reached the schools that I applied to--do I even have a chance of getting into a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

From the info. you posted, you are going to be a competitive applicant... :D

Is there any way you could get some dental experience? Is there a dental department at the reasearch hospital? I did volunteer chairside assisting at the dental clinic at a VA Hosp. Went back there four years later as a resident. Something along this line would make you a stronger candidate it shows that you have an idea as to what is involved in the profession,and not just a secondary idea secondary to Medicine. I'm not saying that this is what your doing just that it could appear that way! Refresh my memory what is the time line? Rolling admissions starting just after the new year?

Why dont you apply and see? There's no better advice than applying and see where you stand. ALthough that research in an internal med dept really isnt conducive to dental admissions. They will prob ask why you are doing medicine when you want to become a dentist. Hence part of the reason you shouldnt get letters of rec from MD's.