D2 Student thinking about Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent12345

Reaction score
I know acceptance into orthodontic residency is very competitive and dependent on multiple factors such as GRE, research, involvement, etc., but what would the recommended GPA/class rank be to apply?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

>3.95 gpa top 5 students in your class, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I know acceptance into orthodontic residency is very competitive and dependent on multiple factors such as GRE, research, involvement, etc., but what would the recommended GPA/class rank be to apply?

Thanks in advance!

Seems like rank is still very important for Ortho, less so for the other specialties. I'd say top 10 would be best, lower than that and your chances start going down. I know people ranked in the top 30 percent who have applied and have not gotten many interviews and likely are going to go unmatched this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like rank is still very important for Ortho, less so for the other specialties. I'd say top 10 would be best, lower than that and your chances start going down. I know people ranked in the top 30 percent who have applied and have not gotten many interviews and likely are going to go unmatched this cycle.

What is your definition of many interviews?

IIRC, 2 years back when I was a D1, 5/8 D4s matched ortho from my state school. They were all in the top 10. A friend of mine interested in ortho told me many programs like research (even if they aren't end up doing much in residency) as well as leadership. Ortho seems like one of those things where you have to be at the top and very "well-polished". All the residents at my school went straight in after dental school.

IIRC, 2 years back when I was a D1, 5/8 D4s matched ortho from my state school. They were all in the top 10. A friend of mine interested in ortho told me many programs like research (even if they aren't end up doing much in residency) as well as leadership. Ortho seems like one of those things where you have to be at the top and very "well-polished". All the residents at my school went straight in after dental school.
Thanks for info! I have heard research is very important for ortho as well. We were online for the previous spring and summer semesters due to COVID, so research wasn't an option. I heard that the "prime time" for research is in the summer between D1 and D2 year, so I am a little behind. The purpose of this post trying to decide if I should pursue research opportunities (I did research in undergrad and it's not my favorite thing in the world), but ortho residency may be a little far fetched for me since I am not top 10% and my GPA is only a 3.87.
I appreciate all the input :)

You probably don't need super high stats to get into Georgia School of Orthodontics.

There are tons of post-match spots available at the Georgia School of Orthodontics. Plus, they are expanding their class size to 36 soon (!!!)

Really depends on your app. I applied this year so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

If you do dds phd, chairs in tier 1 programs wanna recruit you. Cause they want people who stay in school, do research, bring NIH grants, and teach students and residents.

Also if you are not in the combined program, this year long research fellowship at NIH would be helpful. NIH Clinical Center: Medical Research Scholars Program

I am aware that everyone who completed NIH MRSP fellowship and pursued ortho got in. In fact, same for endo. and OMFS ppl who had okay CBSE scores. (68+)

Last edited:
>3.95 gpa top 5 students in your class, good luck!
I don't agree with this. It totally depends on your school.

OP, i've applied to ortho programs, I got 12 interviews and applied to high 20 something schools. I was in the top 10% of my class. So it really depends on your class size, and your ranking as a percentage of your class (and not overall rank). For example, if your rank was 13/140, that would be more impressive than 6/50. My GPA was lower than 3.95, but my school is notoriously difficult, and does NOT suffer from grade inflation. For that reason, they don't pay much attention to GPA, rather your percentile rank.

But I was the president of an organization at school, did research for 3 years, presented at national conferences.. So yeah, a mix of extracurriculars and grades are hugely important. But I only applied to cheap programs for the most part. There are a few expensive programs that are probably less competitive.

Reactions: 2 users