With Advanced Standing Program, can we practice in all states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evaluna1847

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have some doubts about the Advanced Standing Program. As a dental graduate of unaccredited dental school, which is foreign dental school, I am applying to dental schools wich have the advanced standing program for foreign dentists. Some offer 2 years programs while others 3 years. But on the brochure from the ADA it says that 29 states require graduation from accredited or board-approved 4 years dental program and only 19 states will accept a 2 years program. That means for example: if I graduate from the university of Pennsylvania I can not practice in Pennsylvania because they require graduation from 4 years dental program? Pennsylvania offers 2 years advanced standing program.

Please if someone could clarify my doubts I will appreciate in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

evaluna1847 said:
Hi all!

I have some doubts about the Advanced Standing Program. As a dental graduate of unaccredited dental school, which is foreign dental school, I am applying to dental schools wich have the advanced standing program for foreign dentists. Some offer 2 years programs while others 3 years. But on the brochure from the ADA it says that 29 states require graduation from accredited or board-approved 4 years dental program and only 19 states will accept a 2 years program. That means for example: if I graduate from the university of Pennsylvania I can not practice in Pennsylvania because they require graduation from 4 years dental program? Pennsylvania offers 2 years advanced standing program.

Please if someone could clarify my doubts I will appreciate in advance!!

Short answer: Yes, with adv. standing you can practice in every state.

Long answer: Run some searches and read a few more dozen threads. Or read FAQ thread.

Good luck :luck:

Meggs said:
Short answer: Yes, with adv. standing you can practice in every state.

Long answer: Run some searches and read a few more dozen threads. Or read FAQ thread.

Good luck :luck:

Thanks you so much, Megg!!

Good luck to you also!!