With all this talk about BU....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kef318

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While there is much speculation about BU not offering interviews to applicants with better than average stats who will probably go elsewhere, I perhaps am one of the few that has BU as one of my top choices. My GPA is a 3.7, 3.6 science, 22AA, 21TS, 25RC, 21 PAT, 21QR. All parts of my application were mailed out 7/18 and Ireceived the BU email shortly thereafter saying my app was under review.

My question is this: is it appropriate to contact a school and tell them they truly are your first choice? My husband has significant job opportunities in the Boston area that I must consider as well.

BTW--I have received 5 pre-December interviews, but am patiently waiting to hear from the Boston schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's appropriate. I wrote an email to the dean of my first choice school (my fiancé is doing his medical residency there) a week or two after I submitted. He thanked me for my email and said he forwarded it to the admissions officers, and then I recieved the supplemental application the next day.

Just make sure that you explain why it's your top choice, on top of the fact that your husband has job opportunities there. It doesn't hurt to try.

i got an interview at BU and my stats are almost identical to yours. turned in my supplemental on 8/29 and got the invite on 9/4

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt that BU actually screens out good applicants for interviews. Just because a person has good GPA/DAT doesn't mean that they feel the student will fit in with their school.

Reactions: 1 user
While there is much speculation about BU not offering interviews to applicants with better than average stats who will probably go elsewhere, I perhaps am one of the few that has BU as one of my top choices. My GPA is a 3.7, 3.6 science, 22AA, 21TS, 25RC, 21 PAT, 21QR. All parts of my application were mailed out 7/18 and Ireceived the BU email shortly thereafter saying my app was under review.

My question is this: is it appropriate to contact a school and tell them they truly are your first choice? My husband has significant job opportunities in the Boston area that I must consider as well.

BTW--I have received 5 pre-December interviews, but am patiently waiting to hear from the Boston schools.

You should contact the school. I had similar stats to yours, and I didn't get an interview until about 2 weeks after I contacted them. I got a March interview, and I applied 2 cycles ago. I'm not too sure if me contacting them has anything to do with getting the interview, but I don't think contacting them would hurt your chances. And honestly, I have no idea how they pick students-- some of my classmates were top in their undergraduate institutions and some are quite terrible academically.

But you shouldn't worry yet. I know that both BU and Tufts tend to give out interviews later than other schools.

You should contact the school. I had similar stats to yours, and I didn't get an interview until about 2 weeks after I contacted them. I got a March interview, and I applied 2 cycles ago. I'm not too sure if me contacting them has anything to do with getting the interview, but I don't think contacting them would hurt your chances. And honestly, I have no idea how they pick students-- some of my classmates were top in their undergraduate institutions and some are quite terrible academically.

But you shouldn't worry yet. I know that both BU and Tufts tend to give out interviews later than other schools.

What specifically did you call them and talk about?

I'm thinking of contacting them also. I feel at this point I'd have nothing to lose.

Sounds good.