With regards to marketability and income potential, which specialities are expected to yield the most success over the next couple decades? (

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atAltitude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than IR.

I’m trying to decide and honestly like everything but want to keep fellowship to one year. So for me the biggest consideration is how marketable I’ll be and what my income potential would be. I like the popular ones such as MSK and Neuro but feel like everyone around me goes into those and I wonder if their job market will become saturated. Thoughts? Things for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t necessarily agree that marketability = salary. I’d even argue IR is a little LESS marketable in a certain way of looking at it because a lot of private practice groups would rather just not offer the service as it brings in less revenue per hour worked than simple reading.

I do want to point out that Nucs is probably one of the underrated specialties and the one that is probably going to change considerably in the next 10-20 years. Lots of theranostic agents coming up for targeted malignancy treatments that’s going to leave Nucs a lot more clinical a specialty than it is now, and patient-advocating onc services are going to have to include them as outcomes are much better with chemo/TRT combo than chemo alone for malignancies, and the field of targeted drug design is advancing so rapidly that the current TRTs under investigation will be outgrown fivefold by 2040.

Reactions: 1 user