Withdraw or stay the course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I am in biochem right now and for a variety of reasons I am screwed. I totally underestimated the class, overcommited my time to work/family/volunteering, and honestly-the prof is horrible! So I'll be extremely lucky to pull a B-....I know a better prof teaches it next year so i wanted everyones opinion on whether I should stick it out or take the W and be more prepared next time.

PS. I feel like a total tool even talking about this! But bottom line is that I don't know if I can make up for lost time in such a challenging course.

Members don't see this ad.

Does more than half the nation think you should withdraw?

Withdraw. Especially if you don't already have multiple withdrawls. Definitely withdraw.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think u can pull a B...if you can pull a B or higher I would stick with it...I would probably even stick with it if you are sure you can pull a B-

I would say bail now while you still have a chance.

Withdraw. Especially if you don't already have multiple withdrawls. Definitely withdraw.

I have one other withdrawl....got an A in it the second time and it was only Ecology so who really cares, right?

Not to mention the fact that I do actually want to learn and retain material from Biochem for the mcat and med school....so I'd rather not be just cramming and playing catch up.

I have one other withdrawl....got an A in it the second time and it was only Ecology so who really cares, right?

Not to mention the fact that I do actually want to learn and retain material from Biochem for the mcat and med school....so I'd rather not be just cramming and playing catch up.

I am in Ecology right now...so much damn work for this class

Stay on course and just study your a$$ off.

Surge!!!

More seriously, if you don't have other Ws, and it's not a prereq for any of your schools, one isn't going to hurt much (if at all). On the other hand, maybe it really is worth buckling down and focusing on this class (and maybe easing up slightly on less binding commitments)....so maybe surge really is my answer. A half-semester of some suffering might be worth not tackling it yet again next year.

So... I am in biochem right now and for a variety of reasons I am screwed. I totally underestimated the class, overcommited my time to work/family/volunteering, and honestly-the prof is horrible! So I'll be extremely lucky to pull a B-....I know a better prof teaches it next year so i wanted everyones opinion on whether I should stick it out or take the W and be more prepared next time.

PS. I feel like a total tool even talking about this! But bottom line is that I don't know if I can make up for lost time in such a challenging course.

I'd say withdraw, but make absolutely sure that you rock out on it the second time.

Well Biochemistry is only required for a handful of medical schools (OHSU, Hawaii, etc.) So you need to make sure it is not required for a school you are interested in first... Now, in terms of taking a W... why not take it P/NP. I think a W is a terrible mistake. But honestly, if you can get a B- then bust your a$$ and settle for a B-. That is much easier to explain than a W or a P if they ask. I got a B- in sensory physiology... it was pretty much applied neurbiology and electrophysiology and it has never ever came up in an interview.

thanks for all your advice! I think I will stay with it because I'm pretty sure I can get a B-....I just think giving up on it right now might push me in the wrong direction when what I need is to be as motivated as possible.

I really appreciate the input! Wish me luck:)

Fire Rumsfeld and then increase your study time deployment.

withdraw get an A during summer school

Stay the course, for fear you'll embolden the enemy!

If you think you'll nail a C or worse at best, take the W.