Withdraw or take the C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meemat

Reaction score
Hello!

My girlfriend (and I) have applied this cycle and are also seniors in college. She has a good GPA at 3.83 but is really struggling with a class for her math minor. She is debating dropping the class and getting the withdraw, or struggling through it and potentially getting a C. If she drops the class, she will also not finish her math minor as it's the last class, but she fears for her mental health. How much will either option affect her chances at admission? She already has a couple IIs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Although you can never assume an acceptance, dropping may be a good idea if she’s reasonably optimistic about her chances of getting in somewhere. Whether she gets in or not, I think there is more to be lost from a C than there is to be gained by it. Dropping 1 class shouldn’t be too much of a red flag, regardless of whether she’s accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Getting one C with (assuming) 8 classes of credits left isn't worth it if you're already applying and you have the interviews to get an acceptance. If the cycle is going so poorly that you already know you're reapplying, maybe drop it?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Drop it. The W and the lack of a math minor on her transcript are not a big deal and not a deal breaker if she gets in somewhere and are not likely to be a big deal if she has to reapply.

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'll advise her to drop the class then if it seems the W or lack of math minor won't really be a big deal.

Will she still have the credits she needs to graduate?

She has an extreme number of credits and is already basically done her major lol, so it'll be okay.

Reactions: 1 user
Drop it like a hot potato

• Haha