Withdraw Situation...PLEASE HELP!

Started by favored
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

favored

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had to withdraw from an entire semester of school because I had surgery and was out school for over a month. I will be applying to medical school this summer, but do you think if I provide medical documentation that the schools that I apply to will be understanding. I also plan on taking some other bio courses in summer school before submitting my application.

HELP!
 
I had to withdraw from an entire semester of school because I had surgery and was out school for over a month. I will be applying to medical school this summer, but do you think if I provide medical documentation that the schools that I apply to will be understanding. I also plan on taking some other bio courses in summer school before submitting my application.

HELP!

I would try to spin it as a positive and mention it in your personal statement. Maybe the event made you more sympathetic to the patient perspective? If you rocked the classes the next semester, maybe you learned how to deal with life altering adversity. But yes, be ready to provide documentation of the event just in case (such as a letter from your adviser or dean saying that the withdrawal was medical in nature).
 
I had to withdraw from an entire semester of school because I had surgery and was out school for over a month. I will be applying to medical school this summer, but do you think if I provide medical documentation that the schools that I apply to will be understanding. I also plan on taking some other bio courses in summer school before submitting my application.

HELP!

This isn't going to be much of a problem since you withdrew for medical reasons. You should briefly mention this in your PS but don't dwell in this unless it was pivotal in your decision to attend medical school.