withdrawal and reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redicon1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
due to personal problems I have to withdraw from d-school. i am a first year with one semester under my belt which I failed by a couple of percentage points despite my best efforts. I am still committed to the vision of serving the community's oral health care and would like to reapply as a D-1 to schools in Boston (BU and TUFTS) where I can be with my family for support. last year both these schools gave me an interview but I declined the offer.
I am wondering if this is possible at all? I have not spoken to my dean but I would like to know my options.
Are students who drop out given another chance at other dental schools?(I am officially not dismissed) or I am pretty much out of luck and should pack my bags and start lookin at other fields?
any help will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you do have some dental courses under your belt, you do have a dental school transcript. Although you volunteered to "drop out" of dental school, regardless what reason(s) is/are due to, any new dental school will require your old dental school transcript to evaluate you as an applicant.

Most likely, you'll be asked what happened to you at your old dental school? If you weren't officially dismissed or expelled, then why didn't you remediate? Other dental schools may see you as a quiter and that is a huge red flag!

If BU or Tufts Dental is where you would like to be, then your chances will be better if you stick out at your current dental school, successfully remediate your failed courses and then transfer as a student in good standing. If you quit with couple of failing grades under your belt, then I believe that it would be more challenging for you to regain admission at another dental school than lets say if you successfully remediated all your failed courses and then choose to drop out.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear your circumstances. I remembered your SDN screename back when you were a pre-dent and how excited you were to be accepted. Good luck with everything.

from what i hear... withdrawing and being dismissed are the same thing... and, if you fail classes... well, they can still put a "dismissed" on your record (in addition to the "withdrawl").

yeah... didn't see that one coming, did ya?

and (please no offense)... someone passing away is an excuse they pooh pooh REAL quick. so is having ADD... not my words, but my advisor's.

the only death schools care about is your mom or dad's (not even a sibling)...

well... that's not to say they won't necessarily beleive you... they just won't help you... our faculty say "that is a popular excuse"...

if you think i'm full of crap... well, at least look into it/keep it in mind....

Members don't see this ad :)
redicon 1,
You need to sit back a minute and regroup. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Yes, you are in a school that is noted for its tough didactic curriculum. However, that same school also provides a lenient remediation program for its struggling first year students. Look, the raw truth is that no other school is likely give you any consideration while you remain in a deficient status at your present school. If you want that DMD, suck it up and do the remediation.

And what is this jazz about getting more family support by living in Boston vs Hartford? Come on, you are living almost next door as it is. You New England folks kill me. Try Seattle WA to Woodbridge VA....that is real separation

i think he knows where he stands at his school and why... and even if he didn't, you have to at least "look into" what you might be facing (as far as what the future holds)...

redicon1

may I ask what school are you at right now?

Redicon was attending UConn dental.