Withdrawing after NRMP match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RGL2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I already matched into a pediatrics fellowship program, however due to recent changes in my personal life, I will not be able to start my fellowship. The deadline for submitting match waiver has elapsed so it's no longer an option for me. I am aware I will be considered as Match Violator if I did not take this position. However my understanding is this will only happen if the fellowship program reports you to NRMP. I am working on a best way to inform them but still unsure how they are going to respond to this.

I have decided to go into practice after residency and have received several job offers. At this moment, I don't see myself doing another fellowship so I thought it would not hurt me if I had that label as match violator. However I do understand that the final report of violation will be distributed to multiple parties such as the dean of my medical school, residency program director, ABMS, FSMB, all fellowship program directors I have applied, etc, etc....Some of these will not affect me but I am weary if this will have any negative impacts on getting state medical license, finding new job, getting LORs or any major implication for my practice. Please advise if you have been in this situation or know of anyone in the same situation.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It should not affect your licensing. As far as getting jobs, if you stay within general pediatrics outside medical school employment, it is very unlikely to have a substantial effect. Even related to medical school employment it would not be a death blow IMHO. Now, to be sure you aren't making any friends with this move, but from a PD perspective, having someone start fellowship then leave after 3 months is worse. At least with this they can try to find someone outside the match.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems to happen more often than you'd think. I know of two instances where people decided not to go after matching. I didn't know those individuals but rather the people who ended up taking the open spots.

Assuming it's in a semi-competitive pediatric fellowship field, the spot should be filled no problem, but if you are 100% certain you will not go, then you need to let the program know ASAP so they can make accommodations.

If you are going to stick with general pediatrics, especially private practice, I don't see how this really can have any bearing on things. However, as oldbearprofessor says you are burning a few bridges for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It should not affect your licensing. As far as getting jobs, if you stay within general pediatrics outside medical school employment, it is very unlikely to have a substantial effect. Even related to medical school employment it would not be a death blow IMHO. Now, to be sure you aren't making any friends with this move, but from a PD perspective, having someone start fellowship then leave after 3 months is worse. At least with this they can try to find someone outside the match.

Thanks for your insight. I received offers as faculty member in medical school affiliated children's hospitals. I have not disclosed my current situation with them. Would you suggest letting them know ?

Seems to happen more often than you'd think. I know of two instances where people decided not to go after matching. I didn't know those individuals but rather the people who ended up taking the open spots.

Assuming it's in a semi-competitive pediatric fellowship field, the spot should be filled no problem, but if you are 100% certain you will not go, then you need to let the program know ASAP so they can make accommodations.

If you are going to stick with general pediatrics, especially private practice, I don't see how this really can have any bearing on things. However, as oldbearprofessor says you are burning a few bridges for sure.

The fellowship is competitive from a top institution so I am pretty sure they should be able to fill the slot. This is a very difficult decision to make since I have established good relationship with some faculty members there. Hopefully this will not completely burn the bridge.

The fellowship is competitive from a top institution so I am pretty sure they should be able to fill the slot. This is a very difficult decision to make since I have established good relationship with some faculty members there. Hopefully this will not completely burn the bridge.

I don't know which bridge you are hoping to maintain, but any bridges to the division will be gone. Likewise, because divisional heads and members within the department talk, this will likely ruffle a lot of feathers. All that being said, it sounds like going into private practice will have no real bearing on your career, but I wouldn't count on maintaining any close ties with that hospital or its departmental members.

Thanks for your insight. I received offers as faculty member in medical school affiliated children's hospitals. I have not disclosed my current situation with them. Would you suggest letting them know ?

Yes, with a clear explanation of your reasoning, including any personal factors that made you change your mind. They will find out eventually from someone, best it be from you with a good explanation.