Withdrawing applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinner Doc

drop knees, not bombs
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a precedent for withdrawing applications?

Say an applicant has yet to hear from certain programs that he/she isn't as interested in, but has a good number of interviews elsewhere. It would seem like a waste of time to have applications at these programs at which the applicant doesn't intend to interview anymore.

So do people contact programs to withdraw applications, or just generally wait and see if they have interviews? What's the proper etiquette for withdrawing?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a precedent for withdrawing applications?

Say an applicant has yet to hear from certain programs that he/she isn't as interested in, but has a good number of interviews elsewhere. It would seem like a waste of time to have applications at these programs at which the applicant doesn't intend to interview anymore.

So do people contact programs to withdraw applications, or just generally wait and see if they have interviews? What's the proper etiquette for withdrawing?

I would think that the earlier you withdraw, the less of the program's time you waste, and so much the better. The only motivation to waiting for an interview offer if you have enough and are not interested is to get your ego stroked.

I think even canceling an interview 2 weeks or 1 week before once you realize you have enough and aren't as interested in their program is preferable to wasting a slot. I just keep thinking, what if me canceling a place I'm not interested in gives someone one of their few shots and allows them to go to the place they want? If I get the 12 interviews I want, I plan on graciously dropping the others ASAP. Just MHO

Thanks- I absolutely agree! I'm glad to know this is done-- I just wanted to make absolutely sure of that beforehand. (Treading cautiously....)

I cancelled a courtesy interview at USC. I rotated there and starting last year, they interviewed everyone who rotated there. Although USC-LAC is an amazing program, my goal was to head back east to a 1-3 program. I withdrew my app from ERAS, and called the residency office to confirm it. The person I spoke to did ask several times if I was sure I wanted to cancel. I have a feeling that she wasn't used to people canceling on USC, but that was before courtesy interviews.

So, yes it's done, and there are no negative repercussions ... unless you change your mind about interviewing there.

But that's another story.