Withdrawing before potential rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BucsFan813

For those of you have been accepted to one of your higher ranked schools...

Are you going to withdraw your application from your lower priority schools before hearing from them regarding an interview? That way, you rejected THEM instead of the other way around...

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i withdrew from a couple already...

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you going to withdraw your application from your lower priority schools before hearing from them regarding an interview? That way, you rejected THEM instead of the other way around...

Definitely. Why waste the adcom's time when you wouldn't go to their school? I believe in withdrawing as soon as you know you wouldn't accept an interview/admission offer.

how common are scholarships? This is the only reason I would not withdraw from schools i didn't like as much after i got a good acceptance. At the end of the day, I would have to seriously consider a full ride to my last choice school vrs. no scholarship at my top school. So if i think there is any possibility of getting a merit scholarship, I'd probably stick it out.

how common are scholarships? This is the only reason I would not withdraw from schools i didn't like as much after i got a good acceptance. At the end of the day, I would have to seriously consider a full ride to my last choice school vrs. no scholarship at my top school. So if i think there is any possibility of getting a merit scholarship, I'd probably stick it out.

he makes a good point. I withdrew from some schools, but I'm sticking it out with anywhere think I might go if things became somehow unequal (i.e. non-loan financial aid).

But don't you feel like you should at least get your money's worth?

I think you will waste even more money (flights, hotels, etc) if you decide to go to an interview... especially when you KNOW that you won't be choosing those schools over the one you got accepted already.

But I have to agree with that scholarship issue. Some people with great stats/application can get full tuition at mid/low-tier schools and they might choose them over top-tier schools.

Besides that, I think it is beneficial to both you and other people if you withdraw your application in a timely manner.

I think you will waste even more money (flights, hotels, etc) if you decide to go to an interview... especially when you KNOW that you won't be choosing those schools over the one you got accepted already.

But I have to agree with that scholarship issue. Some people with great stats/application can get full tuition at mid/low-tier schools and they might choose them over top-tier schools.

Besides that, I think it is beneficial to both you and other people if you withdraw your application in a timely manner.

I've been withdrawing applications, but out of respect for other applicants, not for the schools. I don't feel we owe them anything in this process.

By getting your money's worth you mean spending more to interview at a school you wouldn't go to??

I've been withdrawing applications, but out of respect for other applicants, not for the schools. I don't feel we owe them anything in this process.

I feel the same way. I even cancelled this interview and had to pay few $$$ for cancellation. But it was definitely worth it becuz by doing that, I saved my vacation time from my work (so i can use them for the real vacation) and also hopefully gave my spot to other qualified candidate. :)

By getting your money's worth you mean spending more to interview at a school you wouldn't go to??

No, I just meant getting the satisfaction of knowing that you received an offer for an interview, but declining it.

keep in mind that when u retain a possible spot at a school u prob wont even attend even if accepted, ur holding onto that one spot someone else is dying for...

lets be courteous to each other...
unless when ur dealing with the scholarship situation mentioned above...

Nope, because why waste even more money going to interviews at schools I know I will not be attending? Unless you're so loaded that you put Benjamins through a shredder for fun, it's not worth it. If you're just going to decline the interview, you're still not "getting your money's worth"....you're not getting a final decision from the school.

Don't withdraw from schools you might have an interest in, but if you know that you'd never pick School X over the school you've been accepted to, withdraw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on withdrawing from schools (that I am waiting to hear back from) and I may cancel interviews depending on the decisions to come in the next few weeks.

I agree, it's only courteous (and downright decent) to others not to take up very coveted interview spots/acceptances- If you have no intention of going to that school

..also it's GOOD KARMA....glck to all :luck:

I agree. I mean, if I highly doubt that I'll want to go to some of the schools i've applied to with an acceptance in hand, why take up potential interview slots and/or take up application review time when there are thousands of other people down the line? That, and saving money sounds good too :)

I plan on withdrawing from schools (that I am waiting to hear back from) and I may cancel interviews depending on the decisions to come in the next few weeks.

I agree, it's only courteous (and downright decent) to others not to take up very coveted interview spots/acceptances- If you have no intention of going to that school

..also it's GOOD KARMA....glck to all :luck:

Maybe I wasn't clear...

My question was implying that the school that I would withdraw from wasn't going to offer me an interview. For example, If I haven't heard from Upenn by January, and I have other acceptances, should I write them to avoid receiving a letter in March telling me that I was rejected anyway...

i seriously doubt that many people get "full rides" to med schools. Several offer scholarship packages or grants/loans depending upon your finances... but not full rides, unless you go military.

hey bucsfan did you get one of those????

i want to do this but they don't have an option on the status pages for withdrawing, you have to call them and i am to lazy to do that so i figure i guess its okay to receive a rejection letter considering all the money we paid for, plus they may still turn out to be interviews... then there is the option of declining the interviews?

i want to do this but they don't have an option on the status pages for withdrawing, you have to call them and i am to lazy to do that so i figure i guess its okay to receive a rejection letter considering all the money we paid for, plus they may still turn out to be interviews... then there is the option of declining the interviews?

I'm just glad you understand my question... Best of luck.

Wake Forest and Pitt offer quit a few. Duke has a couple. etc. etc.

While i don't expect to get any scholarship offers from Wash U or any other top tier, high stat school, the people who got scholarship offers to Wake (according to mdapps) ranged in the lower to mid 30s (a similar MCAT to my own). So it appears there is a chance to get a merit scholarship if you apply to the right program and get lucky.

I realize it is a long long long shot, like 1 in 200 at least. But I think the cost of attending the interview is well worth it.

And i definately don't think it is unfair to "take another applicant's interview spot". While one person may not get an interview that would have if i withdrew, another applicant who was granted an interview improves their odds by me not withdrawing. They don't have to compete with a new guy for a spot, and if i withdraw after my interview he/she doesn't have to compete with me either. I have much more empathy for people who work their butt off and get good stats but just don't interview well b/c of nerves, then say someone who slacked a bit too much in college to be borderline on even getting an interview.