Withdrawing from a summer course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstimpression4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I had a question regarding withdrawing from a summer course. I am currently taking biochemistry online and it is a lot of work. Originally, I assumed I would have plenty of time since I am only working part time this summer; however, completing 10 hours of video lectures, discussions, and studying for my upcoming exam has taken over all of my time. The biggest issue I am having is that biochem is interfering with my DAT studying time. I am scheduled to take the DAT July 21st, and that should be my main priority. I have never withdrawn from a class, and my GPA is a 3.87. What are the implications for withdrawing? Since it was a summer course, I only had 3 days to drop the class. I would take this class again this fall or next summer, and my transcripts have already been sent in through my application and would not show the withdrawal.

Members don't see this ad.

When you update your application which you have to do, your W will show up and unfortunately it will negatively effect your application later on if you still haven't heard back from schools. Additionally, any schools that have given you an interview/acceptance by the update may call you asking you about the withdrawal. If they are satisfied with your explanation, it may not affect your interview invite or acceptance.

Hello all, I had a question regarding withdrawing from a summer course. I am currently taking biochemistry online and it is a lot of work. Originally, I assumed I would have plenty of time since I am only working part time this summer; however, completing 10 hours of video lectures, discussions, and studying for my upcoming exam has taken over all of my time. The biggest issue I am having is that biochem is interfering with my DAT studying time. I am scheduled to take the DAT July 21st, and that should be my main priority. I have never withdrawn from a class, and my GPA is a 3.87. What are the implications for withdrawing? Since it was a summer course, I only had 3 days to drop the class. I would take this class again this fall or next summer, and my transcripts have already been sent in through my application and would not show the withdrawal.

withdraw and focus on your DAT. Schools make their admission decision based on the grades available to them at the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're in a bind. You may have bitten off more than you can chew, but I think you have to stick to it.
Turn and burn. There should only be 4 things you are going to do for the next few weeks. DAT study, Biochem, work (as little as possible), and sleep. No friends, nothing social, no distractions. If you need a breather, go for a quick walk or jog, then relax for an hour and get back to studying.
It'll be temporary. After the DAT you can focus solely on the course until that's done. After that, you can relax.
Again, not trying to sound like a jerk or anyhting, just my honest advice. I wouldn't want that W to hurt your app. This study surge will be temporary, but hopefully you will do well in your class and your DAT, AND you'll be able to put the nightmare behind you.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think you will get a bad grade or a bad DAT? I would think getting a C and low DAT would be worse than 1 W. I have a few though so I might be biased :rolleyes:

Why not finish biochem and get that A then focus on dat now yes you did pay for a dat assuming I dont know if you can cancel it. Because dropping out of a biochem class so far in the semester to get a W why risk it.

where are you taking the class? I might have to take BioChem too

One W shouldn't be considered that bad. Some schools will probably ask why. Just try your best to not get any more than that.

Reactions: 1 users
When you update your application which you have to do, your W will show up and unfortunately it will negatively effect your application later on if you still haven't heard back from schools. Additionally, any schools that have given you an interview/acceptance by the update may call you asking you about the withdrawal. If they are satisfied with your explanation, it may not affect your interview invite or acceptance.
So even if I end up completing the course within the next year, it still is going to look that bad? I just thought that a lot of withdrawals and not completing the course is what raises the red flags and looks bad.

So even if I end up completing the course within the next year, it still is going to look that bad? I just thought that a lot of withdrawals and not completing the course is what raises the red flags and looks bad.
Maybe 1 won't be too significant but schools will not know why you withdrew and they can assume it was because you were doing poorly which may reflect negatively on your application especially since it was recent. In fact I got asked about a W from over 4 years ago and I had to explain it at an interview.

Again 1 W may not be too significant but it definitely is a negative on your application.

Hey everybody! Thank you all for your input. I ended up just emailing the schools I am applying to and they all said it will not hurt my application by having just one withdrawal.