Withdrawing from Schools after In the area Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I sent an in the area letter to move up one of my interviews, and I was able to move up one of my interviews. The problem is that I have gotten an acceptance at one of my top choices for med schools, and I do not want to go to the interview. Would it be wrong to withdraw, since they took the time and effort to move my interview up? I would like to know soon, so that I can give them a two week notice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you´re reasonably sure you´re not going to go there withdrawing now seems better than going to the interview and having them go through the trouble of interviewing you and then not accepting if they offer you a place...it´s like the same thing only further along in the process...not that they´d necessarily be stoked, but they know how it goes. And congratulations on the acceptance!!

Of course, if you are sure that you don't want to go to that school, then you should call them and cancel your interview as soon as you can. It is not like the admissions staff has just moved to a new town and is looking for friends. They will really appreciate your honesty and the new slot that they will be able to fill. Read the "only one interview" thread about all these great applicants who have zero or one interview. You will feel really good about yourself when you call the office and cancel your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have no intention of attending this school then taking one of their interview spots would be worse as you'll just be taking up more of their time and effort with no potential good result for them.

Schools only have a certain # of interview spots to select their class from-- giving yours up might allow someone who would consider their school a spot.

And this will not screw me over when I am applying to residencies right?

And this will not screw me over when I am applying to residencies right?

I doubt it. Assuming you withdraw in a polite fashion (e.g. thanking them for the opportunity, explaining your logical reasons for withdrawing)

I don't think there's anything wrong with politely declining the interview even if they helped you change the date in the past. This is called good management of your time and resources, and medical schools understand it.

Trust me, the school has thousands of applicants who want that interview slot. It is not a problem. No one will recall that you withdrew from an interview 4 years from now, and no one will care. This is how the game is played. Don't waste their time or your time.