Withdrawing from semesters effect on admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldamnnn

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had terrible grades in my first year of undergrad due to reasons that weren't in my control, I was going through a lot in life and my GPA was down in the dumps because of that. A few months ago I filed an appeal with my university to retroactively withdraw from my first year and there was a lot of medical documentation I had to submit as well as proof that I didn't complete course requirements and it got approved, so now those classes are not included in my gpa, however there is a statement on the semesters (PIC ATTACHED). How do you think this will affect me? How go I go about explaining this when the topics are highly sensitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.04.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.04.39 PM.png
    196.6 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I had terrible grades in my first year of undergrad due to reasons that weren't in my control, I was going through a lot in life and my GPA was down in the dumps because of that. A few months ago I filed an appeal with my university to retroactively withdraw from my first year and there was a lot of medical documentation I had to submit as well as proof that I didn't complete course requirements and it got approved, so now those classes are not included in my gpa, however there is a statement on the semesters (PIC ATTACHED). How do you think this will affect me? How go I go about explaining this when the topics are highly sensitive?
tell the truth...

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t sound like it will have much of an effect imo. Just explain you and a medical issue and leave it at that if asked.
that's a relief. i've been seeing all over sdn that having withdrawal's is a big no no

yes of course, i have no reason to not tell the truth. i was just wondering if it'll negatively affect my app
it doesn't matter what we think
you did it already and it cannot be changed
it is infinitely better than what was previously on your transcript
trust the process...

As long as the train of thought and explanation makes sense, I don't see it hurting you long term. There will be areas on the application where you can explain situations such as this one. Long term, it's about how you handle things moving forward until graduation. Good luck!