Withdrawing my application this cycle - advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousandconfused

Reaction score
Hi everyone. So, I'm kind of in a sticky situation here. I recently took my MCAT (originally scheduled for March) and received a lackluster score (501 123/126/124/128). After receiving advice from SDN, I decided to continue with my application and apply to 2 low-tier MD schools and 6 DO schools earlier this week. I was also waiting to hear back from my pre-health advisors but due to the pandemic and having graduated it's very difficult to get in contact with them. They got back to me yesterday after I had applied and advised that I not continue and retake instead. This got me thinking and ultimately, while I don't necessarily care if I'm an MD or DO, I won't get the chance to apply to programs that I really like and that does bother me. I'm thinking of withdrawing my applications altogether (haven't submitted secondaries yet), retaking the MCAT, scribing to get more clinical experience, and applying next cycle. However, I do realize I am now considered a reapplicant next cycle and if schools ask if I have applied to medical schools before, would this look bad? I'd say that I realized I could be a more competitive applicant if I waited a cycle to apply and wanted to give myself the best chance, but I'm worried I'll look indecisive or unmotivated and that this will affect me big time. Also, should I formally withdraw from the schools with a call or email or just not submit the secondary? Some schools I would potentially want to apply to again. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your primary application is already verified?

What is your cGPA/sGPA?
What MD/DO schools did you apply to?

(Also it’s silly to withdraw your application when it’s already verified and you have received secondaries. I probably would not submit your secondaries for your MD schools, unless if they are some of the southern schools with lower MCAT scores because those would be donations. But a 501 is in the range for most DO schools)

Your primary application is already verified?

What is your cGPA/sGPA?
What MD/DO schools did you apply to?

(Also it’s silly to withdraw your application when it’s already verified and you have received secondaries. I probably would not submit your secondaries for your MD schools, unless if they are some of the southern schools with lower MCAT scores because those would be donations. But a 501 is in the range for most DO schools)

cGPA is 3.79 and sGPA is 3.6
MD I applied to Howard and Meharry (although I am ORM so I really don't expect to hear back, I originally applied to one as a throwaway to verify my app)
DO I applied to ATSU-SOMA, VCOM-VA, LECOM-Erie, UIWSOM, NYITCOM and NSU-KPCOM (the last two are the ones I had always planned to apply to and would love going to the most if I'm being honest, but they have high averages)

The thing is after more thought I think I can do better on the MCAT and want to at least try. I don't care if I'm an MD or a DO but I'll probably regret not applying to more programs I had originally had my heart set on.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were scoring in the 515+ range on your practice tests, it might help you to retake the MCAT. Retaking the MCAT and scoring a 505 would mean that you had delayed starting school by a year, and wouldn't make you too much more competitive.

Reactions: 3 users
I second Luna and unexpected. If your practice test average was significantly better, like 510+ and you really can't see yourself happy at those schools you applied too, then maybe pulling out would be a good idea. But you sound competitive for the DO schools still so if only the 510+ criteria pertain to you, I would complete this cycle and still retake (which sucks I know, but it is def the best option).

I strongly advise against waiting. Your MCAT is fine for the newer DO schools. Unless you had a big unexpected occurrence for your test that caused you to score 501, you shouldn’t expect to do much better unless you really buckle down and bust your arse on studying and practice tests for 2+ months. However, a 501 does have a high ceiling for improvement.

I would apply very broadly for DO schools, and also schedule an MCAT retake for late Spring in the event you do not receive an interview or acceptance by then. I think your latter statements really hit the nail on the head. You already pulled the trigger and will have a lot of explaining to do if you pull out. Also, you should send those secondaries ASAP.

I do expect to buckle down and study my butt off for the next 4 months. I'm not naive enough to think I can do better than my current score without some intense studying, but also want to try and see if it's possible. I do have a question. You said I'd have a lot of explaining to do, would this just be at schools I already applied to? Of the 6 DO apps I already sent in, I can honestly only see myself reapplying to 2 of them if my score improves (more established and closer to my home state).

I second Luna and unexpected. If your practice test average was significantly better, like 510+ and you really can't see yourself happy at those schools you applied too, then maybe pulling out would be a good idea. But you sound competitive for the DO schools still so if only the 510+ criteria pertain to you, I would complete this cycle and still retake (which sucks I know, but it is def the best option).

Thank you for the advice. I'll most likely continue the cycle but only with the schools I'll truly be happy at and start studying for a retake just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with other posters about only retaking the mcat for a 510+. A 501 is “in the range” at most DO schools. But it’s 2-3 points below mean and median. If you could get a 505-508 you’d be putting yourself safely above the mean. That’s one less big thing to worry about.

If you’re going to be a reapplicant at these schools anyway, why not stay in this cycle and see if the schools you applied to give you any attention? In the meantime, start prepping for an MCAT retake for next cycle, and do whatever else is needed to beef up your app a little.

I have classmates who got in with a lower MCAT score than yours, so hang in there for now, but also expect not to hear anything from these schools until January/February, when they start looking at lower stats apps.

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re going to be a reapplicant at these schools anyway, why not stay in this cycle and see if the schools you applied to give you any attention? In the meantime, start prepping for an MCAT retake for next cycle, and do whatever else is needed to beef up your app a little.

I have classmates who got in with a lower MCAT score than yours, so hang in there for now, but also expect not to hear anything from these schools until January/February, when they start looking at lower stats apps.
What was there MCAT score?

The 501 is within range for the DO schools, however, it is pretty much at baseline. I mean unless you have a spectacular GPA and amazing extracurricular's you might have a solid chance. You need to try and make up for the low MCAT score.

What do you plan to do to make yourself more competitive for the next application cycle if you decide to apply again?

Also have you tried contacting any of the schools who could also provide you with feedback on your application?