Withdrawing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noelle180

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m going into my second semester of freshman year (I know it is probably too early to even be thinking about this), but I had signed up for Army ROTC the day that the drop period ended. I went ahead and enrolled in the 1 credit military science course that was required for the program. I was in the program for about a month and realized that it wasn’t something that I was passionate about and went against a lot of my beliefs. The program also expected me to dedicate all of my free time to it and didn’t seem to care whether or not I was succeeding academically or if I wanted to pursue other extracurriculars. Ultimately, I quit the program before the withdrawal deadline, meaning that I had to take a W on my transcript for the 1 credit course. Without the course, I still had 17 credits (EMT w/lab, Chem 1 w/lab, Bio 1, public speaking, and English). I ended up with a 4.0 for my first semester. However, I am very concerned how that 1 W will look even though I didn’t withdraw due to a bad grade or anything like that. There was no way I could drop the program without withdrawing from the class. Will this W hurt my chances for med school assuming that I maintain a high GPA and have ample volunteer/research experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I’m going into my second semester of freshman year (I know it is probably too early to even be thinking about this), but I had signed up for Army ROTC the day that the drop period ended. I went ahead and enrolled in the 1 credit military science course that was required for the program. I was in the program for about a month and realized that it wasn’t something that I was passionate about and went against a lot of my beliefs. The program also expected me to dedicate all of my free time to it and didn’t seem to care whether or not I was succeeding academically or if I wanted to pursue other extracurriculars. Ultimately, I quit the program before the withdrawal deadline, meaning that I had to take a W on my transcript for the 1 credit course. Without the course, I still had 17 credits (EMT w/lab, Chem 1 w/lab, Bio 1, public speaking, and English). I ended up with a 4.0 for my first semester. However, I am very concerned how that 1 W will look even though I didn’t withdraw due to a bad grade or anything like that. There was no way I could drop the program without withdrawing from the class. Will this W hurt my chances for med school assuming that I maintain a high GPA and have ample volunteer/research experience?

NBD.

I am very concerned how that 1 W will look even though I didn’t withdraw due to a bad grade or anything like that. There was no way I could drop the program without withdrawing from the class. Will this W hurt my chances for med school assuming that I maintain a high GPA and have ample volunteer/research experience?
I promise you that it won't make a difference to your chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.