Withdrawl and Reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloud786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into a DO school and am here at orientation. However, a huge family emergency has come up for me and I'll have to head home for a few months and enter med school in 2010. Now my question is, rather than getting a deferral at this school for 2010, would be my chances get hurt if I re-apply right now to get into an MD school? The more I think about it and research it, the less I wanna do a DO program. So I figure if I have to miss this school year anyway, why not apply for an MD program. Please give me any advice/info you may have.

My credentials are pretty good.. GPA 3.9 (regular and science), MCAT 32, decent service hours and extracurricular activities. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted into a DO school and am here at orientation. However, a huge family emergency has come up for me and I'll have to head home for a few months and enter med school in 2010. Now my question is, rather than getting a deferral at this school for 2010, would be my chances get hurt if I re-apply right now to get into an MD school? The more I think about it and research it, the less I wanna do a DO program. So I figure if I have to miss this school year anyway, why not apply for an MD program. Please give me any advice/info you may have.

My credentials are pretty good.. GPA 3.9 (regular and science), MCAT 32, decent service hours and extracurricular activities. Thanks.

Any reason why you were not accepted into an MD program? Any interviews at MD schools? a 3.9/32 should be high-chance MD.

This will really decrease your chances of acceptance at any allopathic or DO schools if you are truthful on your applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
And if you are not truthful on your applications, they could rescind your acceptance... even after you start school.

Yeah dude, I'm not too sure about your options. Technically you have matriculated at a medical school and if you reapply, you'll have to tell them that. This is going to come up at some point.