Withdraws..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
Does your gpa hurt if you have a withdraw on a class?

Members don't see this ad.

Chris001 said:
hi,
If you withdraw within the allowable timeframe your school set forth you will not get a failing letter grade which doesn't hurt your GPA as it's not factored in.

Chris001 said:
hi,
Like FutureDoc said, if withdraw early enough it won't hurt your GPA. You need to check with your school's withdrawal policy for the dates. Usually if they let you withdraw with a "Y" for a grade it's a no harm no foul thing. But it it's late enough if the semester they may stick you with a "W" which is a "withdraw with failing" which has the same effect as an "F" on your GPA. An academic advisor at your school should be able to fill you in on the details for your specific institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, you can receive a "W" drop and it will not affect your GPA. I hope that AACOMAS looks at the two W's on my transcript the same way. In order to receive a "W" you have to go to the professor and get special permission to drop the class, because the alotted time for a free drop has passed. It does not affect your GPA, but if you have too many of them I would assume that it will throw up red flags to the admissions committee.

Kubed said:
Like FutureDoc said, if withdraw early enough it won’t hurt your GPA. You need to check with your school’s withdrawal policy for the dates. Usually if they let you withdraw with a “Y” for a grade it’s a no harm no foul thing. But it it’s late enough if the semester they may stick you with a “W” which is a “withdraw with failing” which has the same effect as an “F” on your GPA. An academic advisor at your school should be able to fill you in on the details for your specific institution.

To be clear, some (or, all that I know of) schools have WF and W, where only the WF counts as a 0. W is not calculated in, and medical schools follow this.