Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Withdraws..

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Chris001, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Chris001

Chris001 Junior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    hi,
    Does your gpa hurt if you have a withdraw on a class?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FutureDocDO

FutureDocDO 1K Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you withdraw within the allowable timeframe your school set forth you will not get a failing letter grade which doesn't hurt your GPA as it's not factored in.

4. Kubed

Kubed Mostly Harmless

Resident [Any Field]
    Like FutureDoc said, if withdraw early enough it won't hurt your GPA. You need to check with your school's withdrawal policy for the dates. Usually if they let you withdraw with a "Y" for a grade it's a no harm no foul thing. But it it's late enough if the semester they may stick you with a "W" which is a "withdraw with failing" which has the same effect as an "F" on your GPA. An academic advisor at your school should be able to fill you in on the details for your specific institution.

5. dtrain5

dtrain5 Member

Medical Student
    At my school, you can receive a "W" drop and it will not affect your GPA. I hope that AACOMAS looks at the two W's on my transcript the same way. In order to receive a "W" you have to go to the professor and get special permission to drop the class, because the alotted time for a free drop has passed. It does not affect your GPA, but if you have too many of them I would assume that it will throw up red flags to the admissions committee.

6. kovalchuk

kovalchuk Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    To be clear, some (or, all that I know of) schools have WF and W, where only the WF counts as a 0. W is not calculated in, and medical schools follow this.