Withdrew from College to join Air Force. Low cGPA (2.4), Chances on DPT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AirForceDPT

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I've been reading many posts on this forum recently. I am currently Active Duty Air Force with 3 years left on my enlistment. Prior to coming into the Air Force I had taken 101 credits towards my bachelors degree in Exercise Science. My GPA at the institution stands at 2.4. There are a few Fs on my transcript as I was having a melt down in my life and did not attend class nor took exams. Furthermore, I had major motivation issues during my collegiate career.

Therefore, I decided to take a step away from college and enlist into the Air Force.

I will be transferring my credits to an online health program (Arizona State or Mizzou) and will be retaking/taking chemistry and other science-related courses (biochem, microbio, etc) at a community college near base.

Even if I do take additional classes, there has already been substantial damage done to my GPA that I foresee no significant upward progression, maybe a 2.6-2.8 range.

I was wondering, at this point, do I have any legitimate chance at getting into a DPT program?

GRE Score: 1240

I have listed some of my pre-req grades below:

Bio: A
Bio: A-
Phys: C- retaken for A
Phys: A
Chem: C- need retake
Chem: F need retake
A&P 1: B
A&P 2: B
Kines: A-
Stats: A-
Nutrition: A

Any suggestions and feedback are well appreciated. Thank you.
 
your pre req grades are good (given you replace that f with a b or an a), but unfortunately your cum. gpa is well below what a lot of schools accept, even factoring in retakes. I believe Touro Nevada will accept overall as low as 2.75 (I could be wrong) and there may be other schools as well, but your options are limited as they stand. Not sure what your gre translates to on the new scale (if its over 300 you're good). What about observation hours? Definitely try to get those. Main thing is to raise your overall as best you can and hope like hell. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems like you already answered your own question. Your problem is your low overall GPA, which you really can't fix anymore. If you retook some classes, you could raise your overall GPA to 2.8, which some schools will accept. If a school has a hard minimum of 3.0, I wouldn't even try, or at least I would call them first. But with hundreds of applications, there has to be some way for the schools to narrow the application pool. Also look for schools that only consider the last 60 credits you took.

If I were you, I would retake A&P I and II. A B is a fine, but you need to make up for the low overall GPA. You need to stand out. If your pre-req GPA were 3.7-4.0, that would make you competitive.

And like Nicole said, get plenty of observation hours. I would aim for 100 in outpatient, 100 in inpatient, and 100 somewhere else (maybe a SNF or an assisted living facility.)

Your GRE is fine. Don't waste your time retaking it.

Kevin
 
I agree with the above, your GRE is good. If you can keep retaking classes to get your Pre-req is upwards of a 3.7, you have a shot. The only problem is that cumulative. I would figure out exactly how high I could possibly get my cumulative, then call schools and ask their opinion. To me, 1200+ GRE, 3.7 pre-req gpa looks amazing. Only problem is that darn cumulative.
 
AirForceDPT, if you have the time and money to take some additional classes to raise your cumulative GPA, then I think that would help with your chances of being accepted by a school. Maybe take some psych or sociology classes?

Also, since you are in the military I think you can definitely write about it in your personal statement. Write about how it has helped you grow, etc. I had a very low GPA in undergrad, was placed on academic probation, and failed a few classes. I went back to school after I graduated to try and redeem myself. I've gotten several interviews for schools and I've been accepted to 2 so far, so I definitely think it's possible for you to get accepted somewhere.

Like others have said, your GRE looks good. I would get observation hours in at least 3 settings, and be involved in a community service activity that you can put on your application. If you have any questions about what else I did to make my app look good, just PM me. Good luck!
 
AirForceDPT, as someone who is considering a military career, would you mind me asking why the Air Force isn't going to workout for you? If you don't want to put it out there you can definitely shoot me a PM or an e-mail.

JD
 
My first post could be a misleading. I am still considering a military career as a potential avenue to take. I was just curious if I could still get into a DPT program at this point of my life. I am also considering the PA program that the Air Force and other branches of military offer.

I'm not entirely sure how life is as a medical officer in the Air Force. I do know that exercises may preclude you from performing your medical duties at times. As you advance in rank, you may not be treating patients anymore but instead take on a managerial role. In terms of pay, you will get BAH which is your housing allowance and is not taxable and is separate from your base (actual) pay.
 
I can see a 3.0+ with course retakes and the major change to health science. You must get A's.

Also, you may have to retake the GREs as they may be over 5 years old when your contract ends. Most schools require that the exam be taken with xx amount of years.
 
I can see a 3.0+ with course retakes and the major change to health science. You must get A's.

Also, you may have to retake the GREs as they may be over 5 years old when your contract ends. Most schools require that the exam be taken with xx amount of years.

The GREs will be pretty close to expiring. I'll probably need to re-take them which is fine.

Even with major change to health science and course re-takes, don't a majority of schools calculate your GPA with all undergraduate courses taken? I've been perusing school requirements and found a few that only look at your last 45-60 credits taken. I feel as though that is my best chance for admission. My individual semester GPAs are a roller coaster ride, depending on the mood I was feeling at that time.