Without GREs, how do admissions committees screen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

representwitpixels

Reaction score
With most PhDs waiving GREs this year and perhaps a high volume of applicants, how do admissions committees do a first pass screen? Presumably if a faculty member receives a certain volume of interested applications their bandwidth for reading statements is exceeded... Are there heuristics or criteria that are applied before written materials (cv, statement, doc) are read?

Members don't see this ad.

Program specific.

The ones I am familiar with from the past used GPA (and did/do GRE) on the front end with a cutoff before apps are passed along to specific faculty.

Then, its speed reading time.

CVs and abiliy of an applicant to write clearly and coherently and follow submission directions can surprisingly tell you a lot in a brief period of time, if one is playing the screening game.

Reactions: 4 users
I imagine GPA will be an initial screen, which will hurt some people. At our program, a very good GRE score could offset a lower bound GPA. for most funded programs, some meaningful research involvement likely another indicator.

Members don't see this ad :)
research products most likely for an inclusive approach (rather than a screen out process). then on to personal statement to see if they can write, if they did research on what I do, etc.

GPA varies too much by school to matter really- low item difficulty from an IRT perspective. It can only hurt you (a 2.5 is gonna cut you, a 3.9 wont mean you necessarily get more consideration).

research products most likely for an inclusive approach (rather than a screen out process). then on to personal statement to see if they can write, if they did research on what I do, etc.

GPA varies too much by school to matter really- low item difficulty from an IRT perspective. It can only hurt you (a 2.5 is gonna cut you, a 3.9 wont mean you necessarily get more consideration).

Yeah, aside from initial cutoffs, GPA was largely irrelevant. Though we did take into account GPA for psych classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, to clarify this is correct. Very low GPAs will hurt you. C average students have no business getting their apps forwarded.

Above the minimum cutoff, its all the same and actually, most faculty never got the GPA information past that point unless they wanted it. Once that screener is passed the rest of the application is what matters. Fit, experience, etc...

then on to personal statement to see if they can write, if they did research on what I do, etc.
I'm curious about looking for specific research experience related to the lab - what if they demonstrate the ability to generalize their tangentially related experience to the lab?

I'm curious about looking for specific research experience related to the lab - what if they demonstrate the ability to generalize their tangentially related experience to the lab?
there are a few things I look for, in order of importance. what you highlight is #2.

1. research products (posters, etc.) because they show an involvement in the process that is greater than just basic tasks in a lab. this means more experiences that have built advanced skills. the more of this applied product evidence, the better. this provides concrete evidence of #2 below

2. generalizable higher order understanding of research process. I dont care what you research here so much as you have some evidence of amassed understanding of design and research theory. this will be useful regardless of the topic. For instance, runking participants is not a big deal. Framing why you did what you did in the study in a theory and according to research design does this

3. exact matches to my work. I dont expect every school to have some professor who does what I do, so I dont expect students to all have had that exposure. obviously it's a bonus. it's even more of a bonus if they have #1 and #2 as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Several programs I know of have discussed looking specifically at performance in Research Methods/Stats courses more than usual.

Programs really need to decide ahead of time what specific outcomes now or down-the-road they're going to use to assess their admissions decision processes this year. Every program is likely to make decisions ripe with their own biases and favoring certain privileges.

It'll all be knee jerk responses and changes. Any meaningful outcome data tied to admissions will take at least a 6-10 year time span to evaluate in any adequate way. Like other societal solutions, I imagine we'll go through a series of throwing darts at the board to choose interventions, rather than making data driven decisions that take time.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I'm one of those a little concerned about GRExit unintentionally leading to decisions favoring the privileged even more. There's no way we can use this one anomaly of a year to make long-term decisions about it, but I suspect many will in the way you reference.

As soon as they announced this, I immediately though that it would actually harm disadvantaged individuals even more than the GRE is purported to do. As you imply, now you pretty much only have application measures (e.g., meaningful research experience, posters, pubs, etc) that can be very difficult to obtain in some areas/schools. Unfortunately, it's just the way we do things.

"There's a problem, and we need to do something! We don't know exactly what is causing the problem, or how to fix it, so let's just randomly do something to see if it works, even if it simply makes things worse in the long run!"

Reactions: 5 users

If I may ask… I am applying with five years research experience, over ten posters and two co authored papers currently under review and submitted, but a 3.0 gpa. I try to emphasize the 4.0 I earned during my last two years of college but am wondering if schools that claim there is no gpa cutoff will still do this to my application.
I have been out of school for three years and working full time in one lab and part time in another (few months)
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I may ask… I am applying with five years research experience, over ten posters and two co authored papers currently under review and submitted, but a 3.0 gpa. I try to emphasize the 4.0 I earned during my last two years of college but am wondering if schools that claim there is no gpa cutoff will still do this to my application.
I have been out of school for three years and working full time in one lab and part time in another (few months)
Thank you!
Its hard to say because of the diversity of approaches. I'll give you what I think would be most common and the reason.

Recency is important. Holistic evaluation is better than off the cuff rules. Lots of people mess up early on. You did what lots of people do and showed that wasn't representative. You have clear research experience and outputs. If your last 2 years had near a 4.0, you clearly are capable of academic achievement. I wouldn't worry about the overall GPA too much. Some may balk at it (and will), but that doesn't cut you out of the competitive running for many (most?) programs.

Thank you!
You probably don't want to be in the program that would ignore your research productivity and perfect GPA in the last two years. Your job is to apply to a diverse range of high-quality programs across the country to find the kind of program/advisor that would value a student like you.

With most PhDs waiving GREs this year and perhaps a high volume of applicants, how do admissions committees do a first pass screen? Presumably if a faculty member receives a certain volume of interested applications their bandwidth for reading statements is exceeded... Are there heuristics or criteria that are applied before written materials (cv, statement, doc) are read?
The GRE tends to be a barrier for obtaining admission into clinical psych programs. Many qualified applicants have been rejected from programs solely on the basis of their GRE scores. It can be heartbreaking for many who pour their heart and soul into pursuing this career path only to fall short because of two consonants and a vowel. On top of that, improving scores on the GRE are very difficult. People have spent so much money on test prep materials, classes, and tutors only to achieve marginal improvements.

I think it’s great that many phd programs have waived the GRE requirement. Applicants who normally would have been screened out by their low GRE scores can be evaluated on the basis of GPA, research experience, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. I have even seen some programs explicitly state that GRE scores will not be considered and those who submit them indirectly to faculty members via email will be automatically rejected. I think this approach evens the playing field a bit because the GRE is not an accurate predictor of success in graduate school. It’s important to allow everyone to be evaluated in a fair and unbiased manner.

Playing devil’s advocate, the GRE is not like the MCAT or LSAT. The scores used as a screener by admissions committee were not that high. People have struggled with the quantitative section the most. However, those with a score above the 80th percentile on the verbal GRE and 50-60th percentile on the quantitative section were often considered competitive. In this respect, I can see why the GRE scores were weighed heavily by admissions committees. However, the most competitive clinical psych programs often raised the bar even higher, which again barred applicants who otherwise had excellent credentials.

I’m wondering if admissions committees will start raising the standards for GPA. Maybe, they will screen out applicants whose GPA is lower than 3.5 or 3.7, which can still be obtained in spite of low GRE scores. Nonetheless, eliminating this standardized test is better in the long-run.

Reactions: 1 users
pubs and national presentations

You probably don't want to be in the program that would ignore your research productivity and perfect GPA in the last two years. Your job is to apply to a diverse range of high-quality programs across the country to find the kind of program/advisor that would value a student like you.
Thanks, hopefully someone I applied to work with fits that! Lol
Yeah, aside from initial cutoffs, GPA was largely irrelevant. Though we did take into account GPA for psych classes.
are Initial cutoffs true to the ones stated on program’s site?

are Initial cutoffs true to the ones stated on program’s site?

Ours were.

Interesting…I think it’s ironic that people with low GRE scores would be automatically rejected even if they had numerous publications and conference presentations.

Only an n of 5 years reviewing grad school apps in our lab, but there were zero instances of people with pubs and presentations not also having high GRE scores. I imagine it happens here and there, but I never saw it back then.

Interesting…I think it’s ironic that people with low GRE scores would be automatically rejected even if they had numerous publications and conference presentations.
I do not admit grad students, but where I went to grad school, the minimum gpa and gre were dictated by the graduate school (who provided funding). We got a certain number of waivers per year so that people who fell below the cutoff could still be admitted.

I'd be curious to see how many people who would ordinarily be competitive are not simply because of low GRE. I think the GRE itself (financially, time to study/take) is a barrier to some extent, but how many people who are stellar otherwise have low scores? 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 3 users
I do not admit grad students, but where I went to grad school, the minimum gpa and gre were dictated by the graduate school (who provided funding). We got a certain number of waivers per year so that people who fell below the cutoff could still be admitted.

I'd be curious to see how many people who would ordinarily be competitive are not simply because of low GRE. I think the GRE itself (financially, time to study/take) is a barrier to some extent, but how many people who are stellar otherwise have low scores? 🤷‍♀️
I personally believe that the GRE is a true barrier for many applicants. The exam has definitely barred people with great credentials from gaining admission into PhD clinical psychology programs. I do think that high GPA and good research experience can be obtained with hard work and perseverance. Standardized tests are designed to provide an indicator of an individual’s aptitude independent of academic performance. People with high GPAs can obtain poor GRE scores and Vice versa. Additionally, such tests have very good test-retest reliability. I read somewhere test prep resources typically only result in an improvement of 1-3 points on each section than the previous attempts. In this respect, GRE scores tend to remain stable and resistant to preparation after a certain point. The GRE is very similar to the SAT. I’ve seen many high school students with high GPAs perform poorly on that exam, while those who did not invest much effort in their academics obtained very high scores.

GRE scores alone won’t necessarily get you in but they can surely keep you out. It is after all designed to screen out applicants. If admissions committees no longer have access to GRE scores, I’m guessing they will raise the bar for undergraduate GPA and require more publications than before, which may be daunting but certainly more possible to achieve than high GRE scores.

I personally have an issue with the GRE. I took the exam on three occasions. Although my verbal and writing scores were high, I struggled with the quantitative reasoning section. I applied to doctoral programs in clinical and counseling psychology after taking the GRE each time. The number of interviews continued to increase as a result of improvements in the GRE math score. I had to invest so much time preparing. Although the score did improve, I’m a bit bitter about the suffering I had to endure.

I personally believe that the GRE is a true barrier for many applicants. The exam has definitely barred people with great credentials from gaining admission into PhD clinical psychology programs. I do think that high GPA and good research experience can be obtained with hard work and perseverance. Standardized tests are designed to provide an indicator of an individual’s aptitude independent of academic performance. People with high GPAs can obtain poor GRE scores and Vice versa. Additionally, such tests have very good test-retest reliability. I read somewhere test prep resources typically only result in an improvement of 1-3 points on each section than the previous attempts. In this respect, GRE scores tend to remain stable and resistant to preparation after a certain point. The GRE is very similar to the SAT. I’ve seen many high school students with high GPAs perform poorly on that exam, while those who did not invest much effort in their academics obtained very high scores.

GRE scores alone won’t necessarily get you in but they can surely keep you out. It is after all designed to screen out applicants. If admissions committees no longer have access to GRE scores, I’m guessing they will raise the bar for undergraduate GPA and require more publications than before, which may be daunting but certainly more possible to achieve than high GRE scores.

I personally have an issue with the GRE. I took the exam on three occasions. Although my verbal and writing scores were high, I struggled with the quantitative reasoning section. I applied to doctoral programs in clinical and counseling psychology after taking the GRE each time. The number of interviews continued to increase as a result of improvements in the GRE math score. I had to invest so much time preparing. Although the score did improve, I’m a bit bitter about the suffering I had to endure.

Are you sure it was the increase in the quant score? Did anything else change with your application in subsequent years? The GRE quant was by far one of the least looked at objective measures of the application when we reviewed. It was nearly meaningless. We had a cutoff for the verbal, but as long as the quant was respectable, it didn't matter.

My program is a slight variation on this in that GPA and GRE make prospective students competitive for university-wide graduate fellowships which provide a substantially larger stipend than what the psychology dept. and clinical program provide and therefore the dept. doesn't need to fund students while they are receiving fellowships. This makes students with high GPAs and GRE scores more attractive to the program, but it's not a dealbreaker either way.
Yes, I'm also skeptical that the GRE itself or any of the individual scores, is some kind of lynchpin that gets an otherwise competitive application rejected.

I'm not sure what your point is here other than venting about your own frustrations. You're generalizing about how the GRE is bad, unfair, and invalid based on anecdotes from other people, but then your own example is how preparation can increase one's scores and make them more competitive for grad school?

I personally believe that the GRE is a true barrier for many applicants.
While I don't doubt that some applicants don't show their true abilities on a test like the GRE, I think that if we are going to talk about the GRE as a barrier, the financial and accessibility component should be the biggest part of the conversation. It's over $200 a pop and even in large cities the testing centers fill up quickly and some people have to travel to take it.. and then there's the nonsense of ETS charging for each score report. I'm fine with admissions moving away from the GRE for a lot of reasons, but "suck it ETS" is definitely one of them.. (did I have a bad customer service experience that made me bitter? maybe.)

"There's a problem, and we need to do something! We don't know exactly what is causing the problem, or how to fix it, so let's just randomly do something to see if it works, even if it simply makes things worse in the long run!"
Definitely concerned about this too though..

While I don't doubt that some applicants don't show their true abilities on a test like the GRE, I think that if we are going to talk about the GRE as a barrier, the financial and accessibility component should be the biggest part of the conversation. It's over $200 a pop and even in large cities the testing centers fill up quickly and some people have to travel to take it.. and then there's the nonsense of ETS charging for each score report. I'm fine with admissions moving away from the GRE for a lot of reasons, but "suck it ETS" is definitely one of them.. (did I have a bad customer service experience that made me bitter? maybe.)

Definitely concerned about this too though..

To put it into some context, I've actually only ever seen the GRE help an application. In some cases where someone didn't have as good of research experience, a stellar GRE could get them some consideration. I've never seen the opposite occur in my limited experience. Personally, I think they should have done some more investigation into the issue before knee-jerk reaction time, but that's the state of the field right now in some areas.

Sure, it sucks that the GRE is a bit pricey, though it's on par with other post-secondary high stakes testing, including the LSAT and MCAT. More importantly, it's probably less than $500 to pay for the GRE and enough score reports for 14-16 programs, which is the typically recommended number of applications top send, but other parts of the application process are more expensive. When I got into grad school 5 years ago, each program had an application fee of $50-60, but that was still a drop in the bucket compared to the costs of travel for interviewing. And that's not even getting into the exorbitant costs of moving to attend grad school.

Are you sure it was the increase in the quant score? Did anything else change with your application in subsequent years? The GRE quant was by far one of the least looked at objective measures of the application when we reviewed. It was nearly meaningless. We had a cutoff for the verbal, but as long as the quant was respectable, it didn't matter.
I think that many faculty members believe that the most competitive applicants will be stellar across the board including GRE scores, GPA, and research experience. What I’m saying is that the GRE can be a roadblock for applicants and some admissions committees will not even review applications with low GRE scores.

I think that many faculty members believe that the most competitive applicants will be stellar across the board including GRE scores, GPA, and research experience. What I’m saying is that the GRE can be a roadblock for applicants and some admissions committees will not even review applications with low GRE scores.
And what you're being told by faculty who review applications, practicing psychologists, and current grad students who have taken part in the application review process is that this isn't really how it works. You'd have to have exceptionally low GRE scores for it to derail an otherwise competitive application. Even then, if everything else lined up (e.g., 4.0 GPA in math, stats, and research methods courses; pubs/posters which involved doing real stats) it's not necessarily going to be writing you off entirely.

Personally, I doubt there is large body of applicants out there who have otherwise stellar applications, but exceptionally low GRE scores. I'm sure there are some isolated anecdotes, but I doubt it's a significant number.

Looking at the roadblock argument. Some faculty won't review applications that don't have significant research product (posters, pubs). Couldn't that be considered a bigger roadblock? Theoretically, anything being used to judge applicants could be considered a roadblock wherein the only "fair" way to accept or reject would be based on lottery.

Additionally, such tests have very good test-retest reliability. I read somewhere test prep resources typically only result in an improvement of 1-3 points on each section than the previous attempts. In this respect, GRE scores tend to remain stable and resistant to preparation after a certain point. The GRE is very similar to the SAT. I’ve seen many high school students with high GPAs perform poorly on that exam, while those who did not invest much effort in their academics obtained very high scores.

Right, so this would be an argument for inclusion rather than exclusion since the measure is reliable at estimating academic ability.

Right, so this would be an argument for inclusion rather than exclusion since the measure is reliable at estimating academic ability.
I don’t think it is tho

Why do you keep repeating this in spite of so many people who actually have experience in this area telling you that it doesn't work that way.

I'd be curious to see the data on this, because this notion does not match my experience at all. Any current faculty want to chime in?

I'd be curious to see the data on this, because this notion does not match my experience at all. Any current faculty want to chime in?
I went to a clinical science program and was on the application review committee for 4 years. A low GRE would absolutely impact the review. The issue is that there are so many stellar applicants across the board that we’d need to find ways to filter people out. One year, I worked with one faculty member and we couldn’t narrow down her applicants beyond the top 17. She ended up having to do 17 Skype interviews to help her narrow it down to the top 3 invites. GRE definitely factored in. Someone also said that Quant score wasn’t that important. I would disagree. Maybe because my program was scientifically rigorous, it came into play a few times. An applicant with a Q score below 159 I’d say would be looked at with a much more critical eye.

I do think the accessibility issue is really being dismissed here. The cost absolutely impacts some people’s ability to take it (and potentially have to retake it). Additionally, there aren’t as many sites located near poorer areas, and it can be difficult to get there for many. Anybody who is dismissive about these concerns should acknowledge their privilege.

Additionally, the GRE requires very specific identification information requirements that can pose barriers to undocumented student applicants.

Last edited:
I went to a clinical science program and was on the application review committee for 4 years. A low GRE would absolutely impact the review. The issue is that there are so many stellar applicants across the board that we’d need to find ways to filter people out. One year, I worked with one faculty member and we couldn’t narrow down her applicants beyond the top 17. She ended up having to do 17 Skype interviews to help her narrow it down to the top 3 invites. GRE definitely factored in. Someone also said that Quant score wasn’t that important. I would disagree. Maybe because my program was scientifically rigorous, it came into play a few times. An applicant with a Q score below 159 I’d say would be looked at with a much more critical eye.

All this to say, it did come into play at our site. In fact, there was a great email debate in the department with faculty and grad students factoring in about dropping GRE. Utterly fascinating and got heated at times...wish I could share it here. Ultimately, the GRE was dropped.

I do think the accessibility issue is really being dismissed here. The cost absolutely impacts some people’s ability to take it (and potentially have to retake it). Additionally, there aren’t as many sites located near poorer areas, and it can be difficult to get there for many. Anybody who is dismissive about these concerns should acknowledge their privilege.

Additionally, the GRE requires very specific identification information requirements that can pose barriers to undocumented student applicants.

This does not seem to support the posters objections to the GRE. They were claiming that faculty would not even review applications with low GREs but otherwise stellar application components. You are saying that the GRE only came in once you had to differentiate between stellar candidates. I was wondering about the claim that low GREs within stellar applications exists in large numbers in the first place, and if they keep someone from even being considered for review.

This does not seem to support the posters objections to the GRE. They were claiming that faculty would not even review applications with low GREs but otherwise stellar application components. You are saying that the GRE only came in once you had to differentiate between stellar candidates. I was wondering about the claim that low GREs within stellar applications exists in large numbers in the first place, and if they keep someone from even being considered for review.
Sure. I guess I was speaking to the larger issue that is being discussed here.

So each year in my program a grad student is assigned to a different faculty member to review applications. Two out of the 4 professors I worked with over the years filtered out lower GREs. They’d send me the spreadsheet with those folks already removed. The other 2 professors were more flexible and we would review the whole list. Everybody who applied to these professors would get at least a glance.

Regarding low GREs and stellar applications. In large numbers? No. But there were a couple who I thought were excellent across the board, but scored in the mid-150s range. They were not invited. One also happened to be a POC.

Last edited:
Sure. I guess I was speaking to the larger issue that is being discussed here.

So each year in my program a grad student is assigned to a different faculty member to review applications. Two out of the 4 professors I worked with over the years filtered out lower GREs. They’d send me the spreadsheet with those folks already removed. The other 2 professors were more flexible and we would review the whole list. Everybody who applied to these professors would get at least a glance.

Well, speaking to that larger issue, what percentage of that low GRE group had things that would otherwise be stellar on an application, like multiple posters, or pubs? I mean, I can agree that there is the potential for the "larger issue," I'm just curious as to whether it's actually realized as a an actual issue, or if people have a solution that is in search of a problem.

Although some people really dislike it, I actually like the “compromise” of programs not requiring scores but considering them if submitted. It obviously no longer serves as a possible screening tool but can allow applicants an extra data point (if they’re good). I liked being able to send mine this cycle.

Well, speaking to that larger issue, what percentage of that low GRE group had things that would otherwise be stellar on an application, like multiple posters, or pubs? I mean, I can agree that there is the potential for the "larger issue," I'm just curious as to whether it's actually realized as a an actual issue, or if people have a solution that is in search of a problem.
Again, I can’t say with any accuracy as 50% of the faculty I worked with filtered lower GREs out before I can see them. But as I mentioned, the 2 applicants I am thinking of that the other faculty considered had years of research experience, posters, and pubs. Stellar letters. One almost made the invite cut but was overruled by the rest of the faculty. This suggests to me that there are stellar applicants we miss when we filter out lower GREs. And if people are filtering out, which I suspect many programs/faculty do, how are we supposed to really gauge the percentage of folks who were stellar despite having lower GREs?

Again, I can’t say with any accuracy as 50% of the faculty I worked with filtered lower GREs out before I can see them. But as I mentioned, the 2 applicants I am thinking of that the other faculty considered had years of research experience, posters, and pubs. Stellar letters. One almost made the invite cut but was overruled by the rest of the faculty. This suggests to me that there are stellar applicants we miss when we filter out lower GREs. And if people are filtering out, which I suspect many programs/faculty do, how are we supposed to really gauge the percentage of folks who were stellar despite having lower GREs?

Easy, run a study where faculty members judge applications for initial review with and without GRE scores included.

Easy, run a study where faculty members judge applications for initial review with and without GRE scores included.
Of course. I meant how are we supposed to gauge a percentage right now in this discussion after you asked what percentage of that low GRE group are stellar otherwise. I don’t know how to answer that since no study has been conducted.

Of course. I meant how are we supposed to gauge a percentage right now in this discussion after you asked what percentage of that low GRE group are stellar otherwise. I don’t know how to answer that since no study has been conducted.
Exactly, which is why we should investigate more before making a move which could, in fact, serve to disenfranchise individuals more than the alleged current state of affairs.

Exactly, which is why we should investigate more before making a move which could, in fact, serve to disenfranchise individuals more than the alleged current state of affairs.
On one hand, by keeping the GRE, a higher score can lift some disenfranchised applicants who had less exposure to opportunities due to life circumstances (I also doubt how impactful a high GRE is on applicants who have fewer other opportunities). On the other hand, by requiring it, you are excluding a sizable portion of people, likely lower SES and/or minority applicants, from even being considered. Either decision is likely going to disenfranchise some. For me, I feel uncomfortable with flat out excluding people with fewer resources.

On one hand, by keeping the GRE, a higher score can lift some disenfranchised applicants who had less exposure to opportunities due to life circumstances (I also doubt how impactful a high GRE is on applicants who have fewer other opportunities). On the other hand, by requiring it, you are excluding a sizable portion of people, likely lower SES and/or minority applicants, from even being considered. Either decision is likely going to disenfranchise some. For me, I feel uncomfortable with flat out excluding people with fewer resources.

But, you still are, by relegating the decision to fewer variables, e.g., ability to commit to large amounts of time to procure posters/pubs. Which, I would argue the time spent beefing up that part of the application FAR outweighs the amount of time someone would have to work to afford to take the GRE once.

But, you still are, by relegating the decision to fewer variables, e.g., ability to commit to large amounts of time to procure posters/pubs. Which, I would argue the time spent beefing up that part of the application FAR outweighs the amount of time someone would have to work to afford to take the GRE once.
Right. But for our program at least, proof of research experience/productivity is a non-negotiable. A perfect GRE for someone with little research experience is not going to make any cuts. And I believe research ability is more directly tied to the kind of work they will be doing in graduate school. We are able to glean more meaningful information from those experiences than someone’s score on the GRE.

And it’s not just taking the GRE once. The fact that there are those who have the means to fund themselves to take prep courses to improve scores (mine was $600 for an online on demand program) also perpetuates inequities.

Speaking as first generation college student from who grew up on food stamps, I actually did quite well on the GRE. In fact, my scores were factored into some scholarships I received during my time in graduate school, which further offset costs that weren't covered by my assistantship. IME, the greater barriers were access to adequate mentorship and quality data to write and publish on in addition to accurate career information. I think less people are scared off by the GRE than all of the other associated intangibles that come with attending graduate school such as relocating living on poverty wages (perhaps while supporting a family) for half a decade. Dropping the GRE is hardly worth congratulating anyone for removing systemic barriers in academia.