WMAC - Current PharmD student

Started by kshamp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kshamp

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It may still be early for me to make a WMAC post, however I wanted to assess the strength of my application so far and find out how I can improve while I still have time.

cGPA: 3.86 (3.93 in PharmD, 3.5 during 3 semesters part-time at a state college)
sGPA: 3.9
Degree: Currently finishing my P2 (4/6) year in a PharmD program, also completed a pre-med minor
MCAT: I will be taking the MCAT this August, my conservative target is 510, but I hope to score between 513 and 516
Residence: Massachusetts
Clinical Experience: 3 years as a pharmacy tech at CVS, 2 years as a pharmacy intern at a local community hospital in the emergency department, and I will have accumulated 1760 required rotation hours by graduation (320 introductory hours and 1440 advanced hours)
Race: Caucasian
Research: I just began working on a research project with a faculty member at a local hospital. This is the a clinical science project assessing the safety and efficacy of an intervention made in an ICU setting. The project is a requirement of the PharmD honors program and will take place over the course of the next 2 years. My goal is to be published, but at a minimum I will be required to present my findings.
Volunteer Work: I have participated and organized many separate outreach events within my professional organizations. For example, I organized two flu vaccine clinics on clinic and helped to immunize over 1000 patients. However, I have not held a single volunteer position.
Extracurriculars: I have been involved in many extracurriculars. I was Student Government treasurer for 1 year, and president for the following year. I sat on a committee for 1 year with many faculty members which was created to assess the use of academic space for events. I am a member of the PharmD honors program on campus (there are a total of 4 students from my class). I held an executive board position for our APhA chapter for 1 year. I am also member of the Rho Chi Honor society, but have not significantly contributed to this organization. Additionally I helped to co-found an organization on campus but was not very involved after its development. I will be working as a peer tutor for organic chemistry next year.
Shadowing: ~50 hours, half of which was spent rounding with a medical team in the ICU, and half of which was spent shadowing the medical team during codes in the emergency department.
Schools: Ideally I would like to stay in MA, but understand my options are limited. I am currently considering applying early decision to UMass, but would also like to apply to BU and Tufts. Of course I will also apply out of state, but have not put much thought into which schools I will be applying to.