MD WMAC? Hispanic/Latino, 3.20GPA, 2.86sGPA, 502MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNGator1995

Reaction score
    1. GPA: 3.20 cGPA and 2.86 sGPA
    2. MCAT score: 502 (125)(128)(124)(125)
    3. Residence: Florida Resident
    4. Ethnicity: Hispanic/Latino
    5. Undergraduate Institution: University of Florida BS (Applied Physiology and Kinesiology)
    6. Clinical experience:
      • UF Health Shands Pediatric Oncology Unit volunteering (60 hrs)
      • ER Scribe (850 hrs)
    7. Research experience and productivity:
      • UF CVM- Duchene’s Muscular Dystrophy research lab technician. (200)
      • Malcom Randal VA Medical Center- Testosterone and spinal cord injury research lab technician. (500 hrs)
      • Published Author in the Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle
    8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
      • Interventional Radiologist Shadowing (160 hrs)
    9. Non-clinical volunteering:
      • Relay For Life (30 Hours)
      • Physical therapy clinic volunteering (70 hrs)
      • High school national honor society tutoring (30 hrs)
      • Church youth group ministry team (200 hours)
    10. Other extracurricular activities:
      • University of Florida Rugby Team (1200 hrs) 2 years. (1 year Elected Officer)
      • Gap Year-
        1. Windsurfing and Watersports Company- Head Windsurfing Instructor (700 hrs)
        2. Construction Company- (Roofing Sales Manager)/ Hurricane Irma Relief (1100 hrs)
        3. ER Scribe (850 hrs)-Present
    11. Relevant honors or awards:
      • Nominated to the Florida Select Rugby team fall 2015- fall 2016
      • Nominated to the All SEC Rugby team fall 2016

List of Colleges

1. University of Florida College of Medicine
    2. University of Central Florida College of Medicine
    3. University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
    4. Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic University
    5. Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
    6. Florida State University College of Medicine
    7. Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
    8. USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
    9. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
    10. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
    11. Baylor College of Medicine
    12. Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
    13. Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
    14. University of Alabama School of Medicine
    15. University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
    16. University of South Alabama College of Medicine
    17. University of South Carolina School of Medicine
    18. University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville
    19. University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine R
    20. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine R
    21. Emory University School of Medicine

All secondaries were submitted late August to early September

Vanderbilt and Tennessee have already rejected. Still waiting on interviews for the rest.

I have applied to The American University of Antigua as well as St. George’s University and have received Interviews. I have not heard very good things about Caribbean schools and would like to hear some more thoughts about it.

Would I be better off taking a sit down MCAT prep course and increasing my score from a 502 to something more like 512 and then applying very early in the next cycle?
    What other suggestions do you have to bolster my application for next cycle if i don't hear back?
    Any input helps. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
I would retake the MCAT for sure, making sure that you will do better. Do not retake until you are scoring better on practice exams.
I would also read Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention It's super helpful.
I would add DO schools to your list next time.
Personally I think your EC's are okay, but not phenomenal, not enough to make up for your low grades and MCAT score.
If thinking MD, I would take another 18 months before applying. DIY post-bac or do a SMP (I think USF has one). Get the GPA up, then study like crazy and rock the MCAT. Then try to get maybe some more non-clinical volunteering and a little primary care shadowing.
Good Luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, remove the exact name of the pub you've listed, it's too detailed and, therefore, too identifiable

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should take additional undergraduate level science courses in the coming year to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Your application list, from #11 (Baylor to #21 (Emory), was totally unrealistic. Most of those schools are state public schools that accept very few,if any, non residents with your stats or very competitive private schools. If you increase your sGPA to 3.0 you should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools.I suggest all these when you reapply:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
NYIT-Arkansas
LECOM (all schools)

Reactions: 2 users
If you have the money I suggest taking an mcat prep course taught by themcatprofessor. I took his class last winter and scored a 515, I’d also invest in the exam krackers prep books, they aren’t the most comprehensive content wise but they understand the new mcat the best IMO

I personally think applying to any MD with those stats was unrealistic. Increase GPA and MCAT and apply DO and MD.

Reactions: 1 users
What Hispanic/Latino group do you represent?
The MCAT isn’t your biggest problem. Your GPAs are too low for MD and awfully low for DO.
Many of the schools on your list are OOS public schools. With your stats you wouldn’t be competitive and besides OOS public schools prefer the home team. How did you develop your list?

You have to prove to ADCOMS that you are capable of doing well in medical school. The only way you can do that is to take 3-4 semesters of upper level science classes (full load) and get all As. If you can manage to do that maybe some schools would be willing to take a chance on you! But there is no guarantee.

Your ECs are all over the place.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING TO THE CARIBBEAN! You are just the type of student they count on to make money. They will accept you and then either fail you out or not let you take Step 1. This would leave you hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with no way to pay off your loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Do a 30-credit DIY postbacc, get a 3.7 or better in that, and retake the MCAT for a 510 or better. Do that, and you've got a good shot at DO schools. As it is, those GPAs are too low.

Do not go for the Caribbean Crapshoot: it is likely to leave you deep in debt and unable to practice medicine.

Reactions: 1 users