Wollongong GSM 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker of this forum. Just wondering anyone got accepted to this school . My friend got accepted but still hasn't decided. Is it too late to apply in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Up to my knowledge, 12 people have received offers and 4 has officially accepted (I do not know the whereabouts of the other 8). There are a total of 8 unoccupied spots I believe. This was on their FaceBook page. Makes me really nervous because I really like what Wollongong has to offer and I just submitted my application recently. :( I would suggest you apply as soon as you can! I read their brochure and apparently they offer more offers than spots available and just waits for it to fill up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Best of luck!

Up to my knowledge, 12 people have received offers and 4 has officially accepted (I do not know the whereabouts of the other 8). There are a total of 8 unoccupied spots I believe. This was on their FaceBook page. Makes me really nervous because I really like what Wollongong has to offer and I just submitted my application recently. :( I would suggest you apply as soon as you can! I read their brochure and apparently they offer more offers than spots available and just waits for it to fill up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Best of luck!

Make that 7 spots left. I officially accepted yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually 5 slots left now. A total of 3 accepted recently after my first comment. Thank you for updating narwhale :).

Just declined my offer. Decided on UofSyd instead.

Hopefully one of you deserving applicants get it :)

Just declined my offer. Decided on UofSyd instead.

Hopefully one of you deserving applicants get it :)

Best of luck to your studies in UofSyd! Thank you for updating us.

Hey guys,
This thread got my attention as I'm currently a first year medical student at UOW. If you want any information specific or general ill try to give my best unbiased answers.

how do you like your program? How many Canadians are in your program ? Do you live in residence and what is the cost of living like there?

Hey guys,
This thread got my attention as I'm currently a first year medical student at UOW. If you want any information specific or general ill try to give my best unbiased answers.

I have a few questions too if you do not mind me asking. My questions are:
What are the differences between shaolaven campus and main campus?
Is there any discrimination against international students there? (I am a Canadian)
How is the quality of the courses?
How are the resources available to you? (i.e. professors, material, extracurriculars)

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. :)

how do you like your program? How many Canadians are in your program ? Do you live in residence and what is the cost of living like there?

It's still early but I do enjoy the program. I think they do a great job with the clinical skills sessions. Definitely helped me identify areas that I have to work on. The staff is pretty good, you can really tell they care about the teaching. We have 8 Canadians in our class and a total of 12 international students I believe. I do live in residence it costs about 14K for the year in total. You can find something much cheaper if you find roommates. I personally didn't want to go through the trouble of finding a place (I know a few students who weren't able to find a good place until 2 weeks after the program started). I say buy your comfort if it's within your spending ability. Medicine is challenging you want as little stress as possible when it comes to stuff outside medicine. With all that being said all our classmates who found roommates seem pretty happy with it. Food isn't bad roughly the same price as Canada. Eating out is very expensive.

I have a few questions too if you do not mind me asking. My questions are:
What are the differences between shaolaven campus and main campus?
Is there any discrimination against international students there? (I am a Canadian)
How is the quality of the courses?
How are the resources available to you? (i.e. professors, material, extracurriculars)

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. :)
So Shoalhaven campus is based in Nowra. I think you have around 30 students, the main campus you have 50 something . It's a smaller city i think the population is 30 000 vs 300 0000. Both are pretty nice places. I chose Wollongong because of the better public transport. In terms of teaching its pretty much the same, I see no reason why you would have an advantage or disadvantage being in either campus. I have not felt any form of discrimination in my 2 months here, but that's just me. I think when your looking at the quality of the course the best thing to do is look at the graduates and how they do. All the graduates/3rd and 4th year students whom I've met I would say are pretty good. A lot of them matched back to Canada so the teaching must be alright. There are a ton of resources available to you in medicine. I think the problem sometimes is too much resources so you have to be very selective. Lots of extracurricular activities, so don't worry about that.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there even a point in applying to wallongong med right or is it too late in the application cycle?

Is there even a point in applying to wallongong med right or is it too late in the application cycle?

You can definitely apply. I'm sure the class isn't full yet, and people change their minds all the time and drop out before the program starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have accepted, what campus do you think you'll choose? I'm heavily contemplating Shoalhaven.

Why Shoalhaven? If you don't mind me asking :)

Not at all! I'm a small town gal with a keen interest in rural health. I'm planning to come back to Canada to do a rural residency in family medicine and I think that living in Shoalhaven may give me a better insight into rural medicine. Plus.... have you googled Jervis Bay?!? :heckyeah: It's amazing looking.

One last thing, I've worked for a Canadian university at one of their satellite campuses, and I found the students felt that the education is just as good, but the opportunities to be a more active hands-on learner are two-fold. For satellite settings, there seems to a higher ratio teacher to student than urban campuses, and more access to labs/resources. I've talked to Lyndal about this, and it seems that their set-up is very very similar to the system I used to work with. I'm not sure it would be something everyone would thrive in, but having worked with a satelite setting very in-depth, I think it's a setting I would succeed in.

Last edited:
I heard that too. All their 6 Canadians got matched the previous year.

Actually I got an offer of interview recently. Their brochure for their 2017 class says they accept up to 14 internationals this year, but will accept more if the quality was high in applicants. So there should be at least more 3 left? Regardless I suggest you submit your application soon while its hot!

They may accept up to 14 but only the first 12 to confirm their enrolment get $5000 back for living expenses. That may be why spots are going like hotcakes? Besides the fact it's an awesome school :D

They may accept up to 14 but only the first 12 to confirm their enrolment get $5000 back for living expenses. That may be why spots are going like hotcakes? Besides the fact it's an awesome school :D

I hope I get that 5000$ if I get accepted. Would be a great way to save money and fund a car for phase 2 :p

I just took the last slot. Accepted my spot last night :) I am really excited!

Reactions: 1 users
me too!! congrats all and look forward to meeting.

It's still early but I do enjoy the program. I think they do a great job with the clinical skills sessions. Definitely helped me identify areas that I have to work on. The staff is pretty good, you can really tell they care about the teaching. We have 8 Canadians in our class and a total of 12 international students I believe. I do live in residence it costs about 14K for the year in total. You can find something much cheaper if you find roommates. I personally didn't want to go through the trouble of finding a place (I know a few students who weren't able to find a good place until 2 weeks after the program started). I say buy your comfort if it's within your spending ability. Medicine is challenging you want as little stress as possible when it comes to stuff outside medicine. With all that being said all our classmates who found roommates seem pretty happy with it. Food isn't bad roughly the same price as Canada. Eating out is very expensive.

Hi There,

Which residence are you in and is there a particular residence that should be avoided. How is the food in residence?

I am looking into which residences to live at right now and would like to know that too :)

Hi, just wondering those who got accepted do you do 2 police checks :Canadian and the Australian .

Has anyone submitted their application on AFP Police website as outlined in the offer letter?

Last edited:
Hi, just wondering those who got accepted do you do 2 police checks :Canadian and the Australian .

Has anyone submitted their application on AFP Police website as outlined in the offer letter?

Current UOW 2019 cohort international student here. The AFP police check is necessary. Instead doing a Canadian police check, when you arrive in Australia you can complete the Statutory Declaration form and get it signed by a justice of the peace (notary). This is what I did, and I had no issues.

Current UOW 2019 cohort international student here. The AFP police check is necessary. Instead doing a Canadian police check, when you arrive in Australia you can complete the Statutory Declaration form and get it signed by a justice of the peace (notary). This is what I did, and I had no issues.

Thank you. How do you like your program so far ? Any recommendation on residence?

Thank you. How do you like your program so far ? Any recommendation on residence?
I'm really happy with my choice to study here, and am enjoying the program so far. Clinical skills and placements are great. I chose to rent off campus, so I don't know much about on campus, sorry. I'd look into renting though, it's much cheaper especially if you share an apartment/house with others.

I'm really happy with my choice to study here, and am enjoying the program so far. Clinical skills and placements are great. I chose to rent off campus, so I don't know much about on campus, sorry. I'd look into renting though, it's much cheaper especially if you share an apartment/house with others.

Thank you. Can you elaborate more on the placements and do you think we need to get a car in the first year or the public transportation is good enough.

Can you give a snapshot of how a week of school look like . Are there classes every day and is it very intense. Is getting a part time job a possibility at all ?

Last edited:
If you haven't already done so, you might consider joining the facebook group UOW GSM internationals - its open to anyone interested in the program and has lots of students and alumni from all phases so a great place to ask questions? https://www.facebook.com/groups/UOW.GSM.internationals/