Woman sues CVS for being out of stock of emergency contraception.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I only agree with that statement when said nut job is sitting on their couch at home and off the clock.

Are we gonna tolerate a JW EM provider refusing to transfuse blood to a trauma pt?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
That’s a discussion between them and the employer (which means it wouldn’t happen) but they should be able to have a license

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
However, my understanding is - you can refuse based on religious grounds as long as you - 1.) clearly explain the situation to the patient. 2.) ensure they have ready access to the drug at a different outlet. 3.) ensure that you properly forward the the Rx to the appropriate outlet.

Depends on the state. In Illinois, it is illegal to refuse to fill Plan B/Ella....this also includes independent pharmacy owners.

But there's only a certain amount of nuclear pharmacy positions. What are the rest supposed to do, hide from the public?

Work for the Catholic healthcare system.

Don't conflate BCP and morning after pills with abortion. Either you're anticontraception, in which case you should object to condoms, or you are willfully ignorant on the MOA of contraceptives.

I agree, that BCP and Morning after are not abortion. However, there are many people who think preventing a fertilized egg from implanting is sin. A (remote) possibility of action with BCP and morning after is making the endometrium inhospitable to a fertilized egg. You can find all 3 camps among pro-lifers, those who are anti-all contraception, those who are anti-all hormonal contraception, and those who think contraception is fine but not actual abortions. Any of these 3 positions is logically consistent, depending on what ones religious beliefs are.

Are we gonna tolerate a JW EM provider refusing to transfuse blood to a trauma pt?

Fair question, but this isn't going to happen. JW's STRONGLY discourage higher education among their members. While it isn't exactly excommunicable, someone pursuing high education would be getting frequent talkings to from the elders and encouragement to quit. And if the education interfered with their going door to door, they might be excommunicated for that. The few JW's who do pursue post high school education, at best go for an associates or trade school (both of these are also strongly discouraged.) So the chances that you would find a JW who is a practicing physician is pretty much non-existent, and if you did, s/he probably converted after getting their medical license (which given the JW's anti-education stance, I think is extremely unlikely.) I would be surprised if there is even 1 MD/DO/PA/NP practicing JW in the entire country.

I agree, that BCP and Morning after are not abortion. However, there are many people who think preventing a fertilized egg from implanting is sin. A (remote) possibility of action with BCP and morning after is making the endometrium inhospitable to a fertilized egg. You can find all 3 camps among pro-lifers, those who are anti-all contraception, those who are anti-all hormonal contraception, and those who think contraception is fine but not actual abortions. Any of these 3 positions is logically consistent, depending on what ones religious beliefs are.
Well, I prefer actual vs remote possibility MOAs, but if you are anti-hormonal contraception because of a theoretical MOA but not anti-all contraception (in which case you shouldn't work where they sell condoms) then you should be incentivized to fill Plan B right away, when that theoretical is less likely vs making someone wait another 24 hours.

in any case, those pharmacists suck at logic and their jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
It probably won't fly. The location where it was filed is probably conservative to begin with, so the judge / jury (if it got there) will probably be conservative too.