Women in Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

starlight1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been on a 2 week rotation which is run by a private group of docs, coincidentally 100% male. I have felt a little odd hanging out with these people while they are talking about women, sports, watching them scratch themselves...Today I almost lost it as one of them remarked upon my
'little fingers' and another asked me out for dinner.

My question is, I am in the twighlight zone or are most working environments pretty pleasurable.

Also, being a woman, how easy is it to work part time and find a job that has flexible hours and is light on call once you have children. Do your coworkers look down on you if you work part time, in that you might not be 'pulling your weight'?
 
If anything, anesthesia would be one of the better fields to have children in because of the flexible schedule, but you will more than likely find a few people that feel that you are not "pulling your weight". However, there are alot of groups that need people but don't necessarily want a full-timer.
My previous group was about 25% females. All of them were very good but there were scheduling conflicts and this led to some ill feelings b/w all members of the group. Enough so that one female left and another went part-time.

PS: How about dinner tonight?

You know I had to ask. We are all PIGS!
 
anesthesiology is still pretty much a male dominated field. more women are coming into it and are definitely greeted with open arms, no pun intended. you should apply and put this experience behind you, or learn to deal with it. in my experience, the OR is generally not now (nor will it likely ever be) a PC place. even with a zero tolerance policy at an institution, there isn't much that can be done unless you get groped or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
starlight1 said:
I have been on a 2 week rotation which is run by a private group of docs, coincidentally 100% male. I have felt a little odd hanging out with these people while they are talking about women, sports, watching them scratch themselves...Today I almost lost it as one of them remarked upon my
'little fingers' and another asked me out for dinner.

My question is, I am in the twighlight zone or are most working environments pretty pleasurable.

Also, being a woman, how easy is it to work part time and find a job that has flexible hours and is light on call once you have children. Do your coworkers look down on you if you work part time, in that you might not be 'pulling your weight'?

We had a CRNA at my previous gig who had a couple kids during her time there (shes still there) and we had to give her PUMP breaks when her, uh, boobs got full. Really was a pain in the ass.
But you know what, she was so highly regarded because of her superior work ethic and the fact that she complained about NOTHING, that we endured the pump break periods with both of her children without saying anything to her. Christy is still one of the hardest working, least complaining people I've ever worked with and she gets a thumbs up in my book.
Point being, I think special requests are taken pretty easily if you are an outstanding employee/partner/whatever you title is.
 
Relax girlfriend, it's all good. I'd rather look at a female with thin, little fingers than fat pudgy fingers. Use all that "Joan Collins" femininity to your advantage like our fine Southern wimen do. Let that man wine and dine you-- keep it all platonic. It's all good.... ----Zippy
 
At my academic center ~30% of the attgs are women.
Most are part-time. It is definitely doable. However, you will take a (significant) paycut, but hey 150-200k isn't bad at all.
I'm not sure about the dinner part, but if he's not a jerk and kinda cool (i.e. not married), and you're interested, why not? A good prospect is a good prospect regardless of situation.

Also, more part timers in gas means more work for the work-a-holics like me. More work=more money/job security=finally being financially stable!

-invitro
 
We had a CRNA at my previous gig who had a couple kids during her time there (shes still there) and we had to give her PUMP breaks when her, uh, boobs got full. Really was a pain in the ass.
But you know what, she was so highly regarded because of her superior work ethic and the fact that she complained about NOTHING, that we endured the pump break periods with both of her children without saying anything to her. Christy is still one of the hardest working, least complaining people I've ever worked with and she gets a thumbs up in my book.
Point being, I think special requests are taken pretty easily if you are an outstanding employee/partner/whatever you title is.

so the secret is to work hard and complain little. i can see how this is the path to the light side, but what about to the dark side of the force? can working hard and complaining little get me Force Lightning?
 
invitro said:
Also, more part timers in gas means more work for the work-a-holics like me. More work=more money/job security=finally being financially stable!

-invitro


So how about this situation.

You got someone who wants to work Mon, Tue, Wed from 7 am to 3 pm. So on Mon, Tue, Wed, you have 10 rooms to cover, including this part-timer. Everything is great on those days.

Then on Thursday and Friday.....oops ...you have only 9 bodies...now what do you do?

No one else wants to go part time. There is more work to do, but as a full timer, you can't do it....you can only be at one place at one time...What are you going to do?

Do you hire another part-timer who only wants to work 2 days?

What if the part-timer's room runs past 3 pm?
 
The title of this thread sounds like a great idea for a swimsuit calendar. 😉

Sorry, couldn't resist.
 
militarymd said:
So how about this situation.

You got someone who wants to work Mon, Tue, Wed from 7 am to 3 pm. So on Mon, Tue, Wed, you have 10 rooms to cover, including this part-timer. Everything is great on those days.

Then on Thursday and Friday.....oops ...you have only 9 bodies...now what do you do?

No one else wants to go part time. There is more work to do, but as a full timer, you can't do it....you can only be at one place at one time...What are you going to do?

Do you hire another part-timer who only wants to work 2 days?

What if the part-timer's room runs past 3 pm?

I see your point.....I was just trying to point out that the influx of part-timers is probably one of several factors that will keep demand high for anesthesiologists.
 
invitro said:
I see your point.....I was just trying to point out that the influx of part-timers is probably one of several factors that will keep demand high for anesthesiologists.


I disagree...demand for anesthesiologist is based on need for a warm body who can cover anesthetizing locations.

Demand is high because there are many anesthetizing locations to cover.

Influx of part-timers may make the few remaining full timers more competitive. We just had to say nay to a part-timer simply because "he" wanted to be a part timer.
 
Women are flooding medicine. I think the national average for incoming med students is now 60% women. So, in a decade or so I can see a lot of testoterone dense fields getting diluted out w/ some estrogen. Haha

I personally love working w/ women. Most of them are so damn nice, it makes you feel bad when you aren't. 😀

Peace,
John H.
 
militarymd said:
I disagree...demand for anesthesiologist is based on need for a warm body who can cover anesthetizing locations.

Demand is high because there are many anesthetizing locations to cover.

Influx of part-timers may make the few remaining full timers more competitive. We just had to say nay to a part-timer simply because "he" wanted to be a part timer.

MMD, I meant that demand for FULL-TIMERS will increase, not part-timers.
 
Thanks guys--I actually did think it was funny at first but then soon became highly obnoxious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad