women in ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdforlife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think about women pursuing ortho? how come there aren't too many of them?

Members don't see this ad.

mdforlife said:
what do you guys think about women pursuing ortho? how come there aren't too many of them?

I'm applying to medical school now and am currently working with a group of 6 orthopods in exeter NH. I asked this same question to them and the ARNP in our office (who is female). The concensus answer was that ortho can be very demanding of strength and involves a lot of physical labor. Not to say that women cant do that, just that was their opinion as to why there werent as many in the field. It can be very gruelling doing physical labor like rodding femur fractures, total joints, reducing fractures, and one doctor even talked about how he spent 3 hours at 3am on a saturday night trying to reduce a dislocated subtalar joint, eventually giving up, stitching the patient backup and sending them down to boston.

> The concensus answer was that ortho can be very demanding of
> strength and involves a lot of physical labor.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it.

- women can't work construction
- women can't be in the military
- women can't be cops (how could they ever match the average 40year old donut stuffed bag-o-lard colleague in the physical fitness exam ?)
- women can't play golf against men
- women can't sail single handed around the world

I think the physical strength argument is certifiable BS. (A good friend of mine is an ortho resident. He doesn't have a life for the past 4 years. Maybe female medstudents see that as a deterrent, not the question who can bench-press more.)

One of our ortho chiefs is female, 5'2 and weighs like 90lbs. Granted, she is headed for a hand fellowship, but I have never seen her call in 'muscle' to do her reductions in the ED.

The only time I have worked in ortho was during my sub-I. We had a handful of female attendings. If raw force was ever the issue, what else do you have that burly medstudent or PA for ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am all for women becoming more knowledgeable in the handling of bones.

For all the women out there who ARE going into Ortho. Any insight into places that are excited about getting women or places that are still the "good ol' boys". Any insight would be appreciated from those who have been on the interview trail this year. I'm an MS3 strongly considering Ortho and am wondering where to start with looking at programs where I might be well received. Thanks!!

mdforlife said:
well, i am an ortho- guy! take my word- this branch is not for the Womenly Women! If yuo are a little Tomboyish- Wellcome to the hell!
the reasons are- the work is hard- consuming- demanding- and very very physical! if you cant pull on without moving or complaining of pains- you better forget!
There are things within Orthopaedics for females though- like Hand surgery! delicate enough!
I was once on board a flight from Singapore to Bombay- and the lady sitting next to me was a 40- something from Hong Kong- and Í got to knw that she is an Ortho- and then i found out that she is also a Professional Power Lifting sports person!! So this is the type of Females that can be here. If women can be in the Army- fighting with their shirts open and shooting people down- why not in Ortho? but the TYPE of women is DEFINED!!!!

DrGarfield said:
well, i am an ortho- guy! take my word- this branch is not for the Womenly Women! If yuo are a little Tomboyish- Wellcome to the hell!
the reasons are- the work is hard- consuming- demanding- and very very physical! if you cant pull on without moving or complaining of pains- you better forget!
There are things within Orthopaedics for females though- like Hand surgery! delicate enough!
I was once on board a flight from Singapore to Bombay- and the lady sitting next to me was a 40- something from Hong Kong- and Í got to knw that she is an Ortho- and then i found out that she is also a Professional Power Lifting sports person!! So this is the type of Females that can be here. If women can be in the Army- fighting with their shirts open and shooting people down- why not in Ortho? but the TYPE of women is DEFINED!!!!

Okay, for the record, the above reply is certainly not representative of everyone in the field. Note that the above post doesn't come from an American or someone training/practicing in the US.

This subject (at least female strength and ortho) has been beat to death around the net. To selectively and briefly summarize what has been stated elsewhere, much ortho work is more about leverage than raw brute strength. As a practical matter, in residency you will generally always have at least one assistant on a case that would require strength, and in private practice your midlevel gets paid to sweat. Sure, there are times when strength is needed, but this isn't so frequent that a smaller person should avoid the field....get serious now.

Anyone interested in ortho would be well served to go over to orthogate.com and do some searching to read up.

the physical strength needed isn't really a huge issue for ortho. I've met a couple rather small women ortho residents. The issue is basically one of the frat-boyish/male-dominated culture ortho is notorious for -- more so than even general surgery. Most women don't want to be a part of that, so those who end up in ortho are the few who "fit in" in that sort of environment.

Women interested in orthopaedics should go for it. Powerlifter or seamstress. 6'2" or 4'8". It can, has, and will be done.

Reactions: 1 user