Women physician scientists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeygrits

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am sure that I am not the only female that thinks about these things. Maybe I'll get some new perspectives.

A major concern of mine going into a MSTP is my options for starting a family. 7=8 years is a long time, Some MuD PhuD women i spoke to said that most women opt to have children (more like a single child) during the later part of the PhD program. Does anyone have any personal experience w/ these issues?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Two women in my class had children during the graduate phase of the program. They both took 4 years to graduate. They're doing fantastic.

From the interviews that I've been on, it seems like women MSTP's are having babies all over the place. j/k, I'm sure it's not like that. But it seems that people aren't giving up on or even necessarily delaying having a family because of the program. If it's important to you, you'll find a way to balance everything. Most of the students I talked to said that in general, being in an MSTP doesn't mean delaying "real life" for 8 years. These years are part of your life too, and you can certainly find a way to incorporate your life goals outside of science/medicine into your time in the program. In the practical sense, I have no idea how people do it, but I guess I'll be figuring that out soon enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
those interested in these non-trivial issues started a group to have female scientists/educators speak with students at our program: http://med.cornell.edu/mdphd/home.html (goto march 8th/21st). i think some programs are trying to generate more substantial responses to concerns specific to women in medicine/science - and hopefully discussions will advance further than simply ascertaining the feasibility of having children during an md/phd (a question that is certainly germane to the discussion).

Penn also has a women's MD/PhD group that meets to disuss these issues. There seems to be a broad awareness of this issue on the PhD side as well, as BGS (biosciences graduate group) also has groups and lecture series about how to balance academic and personal life. Still, I have my own personal thoughts on the subject, and here they are, briefly:

What I always tell young women thinking about MSTP is the following: If you're interested in basic science research, you're in for the long haul no matter how you slice it. Let's suppose by doing the PhD-only or MD-only route, you get into an assistant professor spot 3 years sooner. Just because you're an assistant or even associate professor, does not mean you will have tenure and does not guarantee you a secure job. The pressures on you to produce will persist well into middle-age past your childbearing age. Just because you're done school, it doesn't mean your life will get any easier. In fact, it's probably more flexible and easier on you to have your kids during grad school doing the MD/PhD than trying to find time doing a MD-only to research program. If this all sounds too daunting, you may have to decide whether a career in basic science research is right for you. A big factor in choosing a specialty or research vs. clinical is lifestyle, and it's all up to you and how you want to spend your time.

One other thing while I'm on my soapbox. I'm tired of this being considered a "woman's" issue. I'm a guy, but I want a family and I want to spend alot time with my kids.

Reactions: 1 user
Neuronix said:
Penn also has a women's MD/PhD group that meets to disuss these issues. There seems to be a broad awareness of this issue on the PhD side as well, as BGS (biosciences graduate group) also has groups and lecture series about how to balance academic and personal life. Still, I have my own personal thoughts on the subject, and here they are, briefly:

What I always tell young women thinking about MSTP is the following: If you're interested in basic science research, you're in for the long haul no matter how you slice it. Let's suppose by doing the PhD-only or MD-only route, you get into an assistant professor spot 3 years sooner. Just because you're an assistant or even associate professor, does not mean you will have tenure and does not guarantee you a secure job. The pressures on you to produce will persist well into middle-age past your childbearing age. Just because you're done school, it doesn't mean your life will get any easier. In fact, it's probably more flexible and easier on you to have your kids during grad school doing the MD/PhD than trying to find time doing a MD-only to research program. If this all sounds too daunting, you may have to decide whether a career in basic science research is right for you. A big factor in choosing a specialty or research vs. clinical is lifestyle, and it's all up to you and how you want to spend your time.

One other thing while I'm on my soapbox. I'm tired of this being considered a "woman's" issue. I'm a guy, but I want a family and I want to spend alot time with my kids.

comeonladies,you'vegottaadmit,neuronixisthe sweetest guy on this forum.

dave613 said:
comeonladies,you'vegottaadmit,neuronixisthe sweetest guy on this forum.
Thats an interesting way of describing another man.

BTW
The space bar is your friend.

I am an MSTP married to a fellow MSTPer. :love: I'll be 31 when I graduate next year...

The kids thing is a significant issue for us and we have not found a reasonable solution.

We have a fellow MSTP classmate who recently had a baby during PhD years and is happier than she has ever been in her life. She brings hope to us all. And another former graduate just had his second child. Another woman just had a baby during residency...

I guess my point is, like everyone else, having children is a difficult thing you have to think about. But you can make it work if you want to. And it doesn't always happen when you plan it...

I hope this helps!

Tha :D nk you all for the helpful information!

Caesars0331 said:
Thats an interesting way of describing another man.

BTW
The space bar is your friend.

1. it was a joke. 2. the space bar was broken