Women

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebrat001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many women match into neurosurgery? Are they discriminated against? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
icebrat001 said:
How many women match into neurosurgery? Are they discriminated against? :confused:

I'm curious about this also. Do women have an easier time matching because they are underrepresented and PDs want more women residents in their programs? Or do they have a harder time matching because of discrimination?

There are only a handful of women choosing to enter neurosurgery. However, this has been an issue that the entire field and the residency review committee for neurosurgery has investigated. Our program is definitely looking to recruit qualifed applicants every year. Honestly, at my institution, all things being equal, our program will look to hire the female applicant.

kiernin said:
I'm curious about this also. Do women have an easier time matching because they are underrepresented and PDs want more women residents in their programs? Or do they have a harder time matching because of discrimination?

probably depends on the program. remember that a pregnant resident can result in a ton more work for her colleagues...in NS, this is complicated by a very limited number of residents and insane workload.