icebrat001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Arizona
Status
Other Health Professions Student
How many women match into neurosurgery? Are they discriminated against? :confused:

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Less than 10 percent of all neurosurgeons (including residents) are women.

kiernin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Boston, MA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
icebrat001 said:
How many women match into neurosurgery? Are they discriminated against? :confused:
I'm curious about this also. Do women have an easier time matching because they are underrepresented and PDs want more women residents in their programs? Or do they have a harder time matching because of discrimination?

Walasse

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
There are only a handful of women choosing to enter neurosurgery. However, this has been an issue that the entire field and the residency review committee for neurosurgery has investigated. Our program is definitely looking to recruit qualifed applicants every year. Honestly, at my institution, all things being equal, our program will look to hire the female applicant.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
kiernin said:
I'm curious about this also. Do women have an easier time matching because they are underrepresented and PDs want more women residents in their programs? Or do they have a harder time matching because of discrimination?
probably depends on the program. remember that a pregnant resident can result in a ton more work for her colleagues...in NS, this is complicated by a very limited number of residents and insane workload.