Women's Interview Attire- Shells vs. Button Ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! I have an interview this week, and I'm in the process of deciding what to wear. I've done some research, and I see that the most common shirts women can wear under their suits are button-up collared shirts, or shells. I have both, and I am wondering which is most appropriate, or which is most common? Have you noticed what kind of shirt most women are pairing with their suits during interviews? Which would you recommend?

Thanks and good luck with all of your interviews! :)

Members don't see this ad.

A prefer a shell. No colar, no sleeves, very comfortable

I'm MD but I always go for button up and be sure to wear a camisole under so no skin seen if there's any gapping between buttons.

I think it's more serious and professional appearing than a lot of the girly or sheer or frankly slutty things I see some interviewees wear. Seeing bra straps and cleavage interview day? Big no no in my book.

That said there are shells that are professional, but remember what I said, no cleavage or sheer material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm MD but I always go for button up and be sure to wear a camisole under so no skin seen if there's any gapping between buttons.

I think it's more serious and professional appearing than a lot of the girly or sheer or frankly slutty things I see some interviewees wear. Seeing bra straps and cleavage interview day? Big no no in my book.

That said there are shells that are professional, but remember what I said, no cleavage or sheer material.

Thanks for all of your help, guys! How would this shell (in lilac) look?

www.amazon.com/Lilla-Womens-Modal-Sleeveless-Pleat/dp/B00PDYPN9Q/ref=sr_1_31?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1443459091&sr=1-31&nodeID=2368343011&keywords=shell

Is the color professional? It's so hard to find small shirts!

That's probably fine. Not my fave color but to each his own I see plenty of things like that interview day.

Like I said just be sure tht isn't sheer

I would agree with above posters and say either is fine as long as there is no cleavage and it's not sheer! At the interviews I've attended so far people have been wearing both. As for the color I think the lialic is great. I wore a similar top in light blue to one of mine. Some women at the interviews opted for more colorful tops, while some played in safe with plain white. I would just say wear whatever makes you most comfortable :)