Women's interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taddpole

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO, there is a similar thread for men, but...what do women wear for their interviews?! I bought a really nice business suit from Macy's this past weekend, but....

I dunno. Is it usually business suit or is it a dressy business outfit, or is it just a business-style dress?!?!?

Help!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

taddpole said:
SO, there is a similar thread for men, but...what do women wear for their interviews?! I bought a really nice business suit from Macy's this past weekend, but....

I dunno. Is it usually business suit or is it a dressy business outfit, or is it just a business-style dress?!?!?

Help!!! :)

You can wear a business suit with slacks or a conservative length skirt. Just make sure it's not purple or some other non-traditional color. Adcoms are usually older men and they will not be impressed with you for "being different". I think that the business suit is the best bet. Good luck :luck:

THere was a huge thread on this topic last year started by Scubadoc I think? I'll post the link later at some point but I'm too lazy to search for it now. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked through the thread- so- a suit seems to be the most popular....and people were saying black, but I just bought an offwhite suit with ittttty bitttttty silver pin stripes (the width of one thread, basically)....any feedback? I dont want to stick out like a sore thumb :(

most people wear black suits or some shade of grey. you will stick out in a white suit for sure, but at least people will remember you. don't forget that white suits are also usually 'summer' suits. i think as long as it's a conservative suit, you should be okay.

taddpole said:
I looked through the thread- so- a suit seems to be the most popular....and people were saying black, but I just bought an offwhite suit with ittttty bitttttty silver pin stripes (the width of one thread, basically)....any feedback? I dont want to stick out like a sore thumb :(

i think an off-white suit would be fine in the eyes of the adcom. just make sure you won't mind not looking like everyone else. definitely don't do the black suit/white shirt - that was like the standard interviewee uniform when i was interviewing. i had a grey suit, blue shirt. my only worry about the white suit would be the difficulty in keeping it clean. (especially if you have back to back interviews and in the rainy/snowy winter months).

hi girls! yes, i just bought not too long ago a nice navy pantsuit from Jcrew...I really love it! I'm wearing it with some black low pointy-toed heels also from Jcrew and I think a white blouse b/c a colored one will clash with the bag I think I'll be taking with me...

I did a thread on ivory suits...do a search for it, there were lots of replies. I decided to go conserv after all for a number of reasons but I think its definately fine, but you WILL stick out, so if you're ok with that go for it! :)

If I was on the adcom...I would say a little number like this....

V246416.jpg

Would help your chances a lot. But then again, I'm not on an adcom...so I wouldn't listen to me.

So for cold weather, a trench or pea coat is agreed to be good. I have a camel color pea coat, but I just bought a black suit. Should I try to buy a black pea coat so it'd match better or would the different colors work fine...?

go back to the men's interview thread, nebrfan! :mad:

lol i just ordered a VS swimsuit and remember seeing that one!

i think the camel coat will be fine to the above poster...i mean, if you think you'll get use out of a black one and were gonna buy a new winter coat anyway, go ahead but i dont think it'll matter at all

When you're inside, you won't be wearing the camel coat and the adcom won't know you don't match. When you're outside, the camel coat will mostly cover the black suit and no one will know you don't match. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Look as HOT as you can ! Attractive people do better in almost everything. If you are a fatty lose your fat. If you have nice breasts show them off just a little. If you have a great ass then flatter it. If you got it show it !

StaceyLewUWM said:
Look as HOT as you can ! Attractive people do better in almost everything. If you are a fatty lose your fat. If you have nice breasts show them off just a little. If you have a great ass then flatter it. If you got it show it !

I'm not sure I agree with you. Are you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell sometimes. Wearing tight pants or top to show off your ass or breasts is not a good idea. Looking put together, trimmed, polished.. IS.

I would say a conservative outfit (not showng off body parts), with a nice manicure, waxed eyebrows, good jewelry, sophisticated bag and shoes, and professional hair style is the way to go.

hey guys!

question: i have one suit that's like dark tealish-green. it's definitely very business and conservative, but not a traditional color. also, i have one that's embroidered all over -- again very business even though it does not sound it. (black background, burgundy embroidery)

what do you think?

wetlightning said:
hey guys!

question: i have one suit that's like dark tealish-green. it's definitely very business and conservative, but not a traditional color. also, i have one that's embroidered all over -- again very business even though it does not sound it. (black background, burgundy embroidery)

what do you think?

i think they sound great.

SeattlePostBach said:
i think they sound great.

thanks! don't think they'd stand out too much huh? :idea:

StaceyLewUWM said:

And if you don't have it, then get it. I got some breast implants before interview season. Also lipo, ass implants, and hair extensions. Oh, and a nose job. I wore a hot-pink skirt and suit jacket with a purple shirt underneath, and I looked as damn fine as Claudia Kishi. Purple platform sandals, LOTS of big jewelry, and fishnets under my pants completed the look. Make sure when you do your makeup in the morning, you go heavy on the eyes -- nothing says classy like loads of eyeliner and mascara.

If you follow this recipe for success, I guarantee you will get into the best schools. Also, if I'm interviewing you at Pittsburgh this fall and you look like my description above, I will make sure you automatically get a "recommend admit" stamp.

Doctors should look hawt.

Where I am, at least half of the interviewers are women and they do notice what other women wear! They also joke about the ubiquitous black suits.

Anything except black is great! Red! Purple! Don't be afraid of wearing a color, you don't have to dress in manly black or gray to get taken seriously. (If you've already bought a black suit, go out and get a bright colored or print blouse.) The essential thing is it must fit well.

And one more thing, wear shoes that you can walk in; if your feet are killing you on "the tour" you are not going to have a good day.

LizzyM said:
Where I am, at least half of the interviewers are women and they do notice what other women wear! They also joke about the ubiquitous black suits.

Anything except black is great! Red! Purple! Don't be afraid of wearing a color, you don't have to dress in manly black or gray to get taken seriously. (If you've already bought a black suit, go out and get a bright colored or print blouse.) The essential thing is it must fit well.

And one more thing, wear shoes that you can walk in; if your feet are killing you on "the tour" you are not going to have a good day.

All kidding aside from my previous post, this is all excellent advice. On my longest tours (Pitt's was two hours, up and down hills outside, running all over the hospital, etc), I wanted to shoot myself in the head, because my feet hurt so badly from the pumps I was wearing. Really, I had to wear nothing but uggs for weeks afterwards because the fur soothed my feet after messing them up so badly on tours and I couldn't wear shoes with any shape because they made my feet hurt more. Blisters, pain, everything.

Also, wearing a colored shirt underneath your suit is a great idea. I usually wore a black suit because it was the suit I was able to buy that fit me best and looked the best, but I always wore a blue or pink shirt underneath which made it more feminine. Also, the cut of the suit is important - you want one that flatters your body type and doesn't look too straight cut. It should be well-shaped and tailored to a woman's body.

criminallyinane said:
And if you don't have it, then get it. I got some breast implants before interview season. Also lipo, ass implants, and hair extensions. Oh, and a nose job. I wore a hot-pink skirt and suit jacket with a purple shirt underneath, and I looked as damn fine as Claudia Kishi. Purple platform sandals, LOTS of big jewelry, and fishnets under my pants completed the look. Make sure when you do your makeup in the morning, you go heavy on the eyes -- nothing says classy like loads of eyeliner and mascara.

If you follow this recipe for success, I guarantee you will get into the best schools. Also, if I'm interviewing you at Pittsburgh this fall and you look like my description above, I will make sure you automatically get a "recommend admit" stamp.

Doctors should look hawt.

Hahahaha, Claudia Kishi! :laugh: :laugh: I went for the responsible, Mary Ann look for my interviews. But everyone must have known that I am a dork and I don't have my own phone line.

OpheliaButz said:
Hahahaha, Claudia Kishi! :laugh: :laugh: I went for the responsible, Mary Ann look for my interviews. But everyone must have known that I am a dork and I don't have my own phone line.

Would that be braids, or post-dad-softening "rippled, wavy" hair? Or, even better, post-mushroom cut?

Ladies: the thong, definitely the thong. It oozes confidence. Just make sure the skirt/pant is snug enough so they can tell for sure.

Oh, definitely the braids. I wanted to be funky and cool like Stacey + Claudia, but I was afraid the adcom would act like Mary Ann's dad before he married Dawn's mom. :( :(

Would you ever not wear a suite, all kidding aside would a cardigan set, pearls, a pencil skirt and knee length leather boots be appropriate, I'm far from the process but I hate suits I've always been too large in the bust.

fateema368 said:
Would you ever not wear a suite, all kidding aside would a cardigan set, pearls, a pencil skirt and knee length leather boots be appropriate, I'm far from the process but I hate suits I've always been too large in the bust.

I was on an interview committee, and even though I'm young and female (not the old, white male Adcom most people imagine and discuss) I would stay away from the look you've described (not that I don't think it's a very cute look). Look for a suit that sells separates in different sizes if the disproportion is the issue. And having to wear a suit, even if you don't like them, is the smallest sacrifice you will ever make in your career in medicine.

My two cents on the interview outfit: it's really okay to be forgettable. No one is assessing whether your accessories are designer, or whether your overcoat matches your suit (we understand that applicants don't swim in their money banks like Scrooge McDuck.) Let your personality, your record, your smile and your thoughts shine. Black, navy, maroon, forest green, brown, grey, all great. Bright red? Pink? I always wondered what the applicant was trying to distract me from. Remember, medicine is ultimately a conservative field, and being able to fit in is an essential component of being part of a successful team, which you will be as a physician. As a resident, no one acknowledges my individuality on a regular basis. I do that with my friends and family on my own time.

Shoes: flats, heels, loafers, mules, etc. don't care. The only shoes I remember from all the women I interviewed were the white, three inch patent leather high healed opened toed sandals (with sun-tan hose). Wow, bad choice, purely from a fashion point. Comfort, and shoes that are in good shape, should be paramount.

The absolute, most important thing about what you wear: find a suit that fits well and you don't feel tense in. Spend the money to get it tailored, and don't buy a suit that pulls across the bust, or whiskers across the lap. Wear pants if you want, especially if you feel uncomfortable in a skirt (your discomfort will show). It doesn't matter how expensive or how cheap it is, as long as it doesn't look too cheap. I finished interviewing for residency, and my three-season navy microfiber/wool suit cost me less than $100 and I loved it, felt good, and got the residency of my choice. As long as you don't stick out for the wrong reasons, interviewers are so so so much more interested in what you have to say than whether you chose opaque or sheer hose.

This is a single opinion, and other people probably disagree, but when I was an applicant, I remember agonizing over this issue. It's important, but practicing interviewing, and focus on how your words and body language are communicating who you are.

fateema368 said:

Definitely ditch the knee-high boots! (My friends and I call them "hooker boots", which isn't really a fair representation since they can be quite stylish, but still, that's how I think of them, I guess.)

If you refuse to wear a suit, that's fine, but professional attire and shoes are a must, so make sure you look refined and well-tailored. I only came across ONE girl over the course of my many, many interviews who wasn't wearing a suit - she was wearing some kind of sweater and pants. It didn't look great -- it looked like she wasn't taking the day seriously enough.

fateema368 said:
Get a suit where the jacket fits your bust and have the rest altered down. Or (and this may actually be the most cost-effective) find a seamstress to make you a suit to your measurements. This may actually be a good idea - you can pick the fabric, you know the fit will be perfect, and it will be something you can wear for years and years.

I'm dying over the BSC jokes :D

what brands would you suggest for a petite girl that has no butt? I have the body of a 15 year old girl. Only the crap clothes in the juniors section fit me... Ann Taylor doesn't work... either do any of the major brands Nords. or Macy's has.
??

SeattlePostBach said:
what brands would you suggest for a petite girl that has no butt? I have the body of a 15 year old girl. Only the crap clothes in the juniors section fit me... Ann Taylor doesn't work... either do any of the major brands Nords. or Macy's has.
??

petite doesn't work, even at AT?

SeattlePostBach said:
??

As someone with extra "junk in the trunk" I've never found success with J. Crew. On that theory, maybe it would work for you?

SeattlePostBach said:
??
You sound like a designer-label dream. However, again let me say that nothing (and I mean NOTHING) fits like a tailor-made suit (wish there was a women's tailor in my itty-bitty town :( ). If you really want to buy a suit and have it tailored, tho, let me say that tailoring a skirt is MUCH easier than tailoring a jacket. And just about any seamstress can tailor a skirt for the little-butt problem. Just remember to stay away from jackets that are too fitted - they will allow for a larger butt and may lay strangely on you. You can also disguise a small butt with a jacket that is finger-tip length.

criminallyinane said:
Also, wearing a colored shirt underneath your suit is a great idea. I usually wore a black suit because it was the suit I was able to buy that fit me best and looked the best, but I always wore a blue or pink shirt underneath which made it more feminine. Also, the cut of the suit is important - you want one that flatters your body type and doesn't look too straight cut. It should be well-shaped and tailored to a woman's body.

What type of shirts do you wear underneath a suit? Would a dress shirt look okay? I already have some so I can save money on those.

i got a black suit from ann taylor with a fitted jacket and wide trousers. i wasn't going to necessarily do black, but it was what looked best and it had a bit of texture which was nice. underneath it i wore a light pink cashmere turtleneck, which was nice and warm since my interviews were all in NY in december and january. it's a good idea, as long as you don't think you'll be too hot inside.
some of the odder outfits i saw:
(on a girl) purple *tight* pantsuit with black platform shoes at NYMC
(on a guy) tan suit with a bright red shirt and patterned tie at Columbia
(on a guy) gorgeous dark striped suit with skinny pants and pointy shoes at Columbia
for the most part everyone just wears the same thing. i honestly don't think it matters all that much, unless you look terrible in what you're wearing. i think coco chanel said something like "dress badly and people will remember your clothes. dress well and people will remember YOU." good advice.