Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have suggestions for a store that sells black totes that are affordable, stylish, and can fit a 15" Macbook Pro laptop inside?

I know I am asking for a lot, but after perusing totes online and going in many stores today at a mall I have come to the conclusion that business/business-like totes are hundreds of dollars generally--and as I'll be making an investment buying one, I would like to get one that will also be good for carrying my laptop to med school classes (along with a bunch of other things) or for other things down the road.

Calvin Klein's outlet store had a lot of nice ones that I saw in person today, but the biggest ones had their logo printed all over and I'd just like a plain black tote if possible. Samsonite had functionally great totes but they were all fairly ugly/too briefcase-like looking. A lot of other stores had totes that were either nice-looking or functional but not both (I especially despaired at all the stylish ones that didn't have a sturdy bottom or weren't wide enough for a laptop 🙁).

Any suggestions??

Here are some examples of bags that I like but am hesitant to purchase online:

http://www.careerbags.com/laptop-ba...e-milano-notebook-case-15-4-17-mac-black.html

http://www.careerbags.com/laptop-ba...ignature-tote-16-17-mac-black-microfiber.html

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...-20?ID=754940&CategoryID=25547&LinkType=PDPZ1 (but I wish it were plain/didn't have the logo all over it :/ )

http://www.ebags.com/product/kennet...age/a-majority-tote/258593?productid=10257088

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Ba...fccid=TDVAPRZFGUQL4QKDKKNFEBKNHY&searchidx=45

I love the Kenneth Cole one. Now I'm going to buy that one in black!
 
I feel silly now; found many more bags once I searched by "womens laptop tote" rather than just by "womens tote". 8)

Here are some good ones, for anyone else with a 15" laptop who might be looking for a spacious (and stylish) tote:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ienne Vittadini&sp=1&spc=7&ruleId=65&slotId=6

http://pielleather.com/shop/index.php/2719.html

http://pielleather.com/shop/index.php/2739.html

Piel especially has some very nice leather totes. 🙂

I love the Kenneth Cole one. Now I'm going to buy that one in black!

I know, isn't it nice?? I only wish it were on the actual Kenneth Cole site, too (must be from an old collection). Let me know if you get it; I'd love to know how it is!
 
It was my (totally unfounded and probably incorrect) impression that wearing a dress and jacket instead of a three piece suit was a no-no. I mean, I guess there's no way they would be able to distinguish it from a skirt suit if you never took the jacket off.


A professional dress with a professional jacket is definitely fine.
A less-professional dress with a less-professional jacket is definitely NOT fine.

And to the poster above, a jumper (dress over blouse) is not a good idea (too casual) unless it's winter and you also wear a jacket.

On the totes, be sure you see it in person before buying. Bring your laptop/notebook as well as most of the other things you'd want it to hold and see how all your stuff fits in.
• Can you still carry it? Many are heavy empty, and can be too heavy with your stuff.
• Can you get your PC out with your other stuff in? And can you put your computer back in again? Or do you need to unpack?
• Will you need to also carry a purse? Or can a small purse fit inside?
• What if you want a leather writing folio? Will that also fit?
• Is it sturdy and well-made? Surprisingly many aren't. How much padding for your notebook?
• How about the handles? Are they comfortable in your hand? With 30 pounds of stuff?
• Does it have shoulder straps? Or are the handles long enough to go over your shoulder? (a blessing for heavy bags and hands-free carrying)
• Will the bag sit upright on the floor? Or will it tip over and spill all your stuff?
• Does it have logical, easily-accessible places for your keys? Cell phone?
• How does it close? Zippers break and can be a PITA, but keep everything in. Flaps and tabs can be convenient. IMO, a combination is best.

Take your time to find the right bag and check it out in person. (It does not need to be black or leather - just professional looking.) Be prepared to pay for features and construction; don't waste your money on designer logos or bags that won't work. I've got several hundred dollars worth of very nice leather computer bags that, for one reason or another, just don't work... Ouch - several very expensive lessons.

The best selection I found was actually at an Office Supply store. Computer store was next best.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my pants tailored to fit my interview shoes so I don't think I can wear flats for the tour. I wish I could though 🙁
 
What shoes are you all wearing? Are you planning to bring a back-up pair of flats for the campus tours?

Just boring typical interview ones (black pumps which are between 2-3" tall). Definitely going to bring flats for the tours; my feet are wide and any pair of high heels kills me and gives me blisters after an hour or so. :/
 
As far as nails go, do you think acrylic french tips are okay?

Hmm... I don't know.. Acrylic might not be a great idea. I know the hospital where I volunteer does not even allow volunteers to wear acrylic nails.
 
Yeah... my brother suggested I look as natural as possible. I don't know about y'all but it helps my chances...I will wear a goddamn moo moo and floppy hat. Or a spacesuit. Whatever the hell they want.
 
Okay ladies, I learned a valuable lesson yesterday: DON'T GO GET YOUR BANGS CUT THE DAY BEFORE YOUR INTERVIEW. THE GODS WILL INTERVENE AND MAKE THE WOMAN (WHO HAS CUT THEM BEFORE!) DO SOMETHING CRAZY AND RUIN YOUR FACE.

What I wanted: 😍
What I got: :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Tons of helpful advice here.

My biggest problem is the fact that I look incredibly young for my age. Last week I was stopped at an airport because they thought I was 12 years old.. No one has ever assumed I was over 14 unless I explicitly told them I was actually 21...

I already wear light makeup, which does make me look older (foundation, concealer, eyeliner)... but are there any tips you guys could impart on making me look older?
 
I bought this dress in navy and I have belt for the waist. I don't know how well a jacket would fit over since it has a short sleeve. Thoughts on a jacket?

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/dresses/PRDOVR~25087/25087.jsp

Ohh, nice! I have been eyeing that dress for a while, but I don't think I have the boobage to fill it out.

The short sleeves shouldn't hinder anything. Here is a person wearing a similarly colored jacket to her origami dress:

2013-05-31-fri.jpg


I think she looks great! I think with the navy, you can probably get away with either a black jacket or even a darker khaki one for earlier in the interview season.
 
Are having a few face framing pieces with bangs for a ponytail viewed as less professional?

kelly-rowland-black-straight-ponytail-hairstyle-bangs.jpg


I guess I have fewer strands than Kelly does, but they still exist.
 
I bought this dress in navy and I have belt for the waist. I don't know how well a jacket would fit over since it has a short sleeve. Thoughts on a jacket?

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/suiting/dresses/PRDOVR~25087/25087.jsp

Great dress -- but IMO, the asymmetrical neckline is going to be a challenge for a jacket. Just my opinion, but I think the tan dress & jacket shown below your post doesn't work particularly well -- neckline conflict. Plus, unless the fabric is an exact match, it's a "close but no cigar" situation.

For summer interviews, I think you could get by without a jacket, assuming the dress isn't even borderline tight. Really - a very sharp dress with great lines.

If you need a jacket though, go for something different enough to make it clear the 'not matching' is intentional. Not black over navy - not enough contrast, though black over royal could work. Maybe a nubby fabric in navy & white?

If you decide to go that route, take the dress and photo to Nordstrom's, Neimann's, Saks, Macy's -- somewhere upscale -- and get some help. Try on jackets and see what you think.
 
Great dress -- but IMO, the asymmetrical neckline is going to be a challenge for a jacket. Just my opinion, but I think the tan dress & jacket shown below your post doesn't work particularly well -- neckline conflict. Plus, unless the fabric is an exact match, it's a "close but no cigar" situation.

For summer interviews, I think you could get by without a jacket, assuming the dress isn't even borderline tight. Really - a very sharp dress with great lines.

If you need a jacket though, go for something different enough to make it clear the 'not matching' is intentional. Not black over navy - not enough contrast, though black over royal could work. Maybe a nubby fabric in navy & white?

If you decide to go that route, take the dress and photo to Nordstrom's, Neimann's, Saks, Macy's -- somewhere upscale -- and get some help. Try on jackets and see what you think.

Thanks!!! I was thinking about going with the intentionally not matching jacket. Maybe something in grey so that it highlights the dress.
 
Could I wear a thick, lined dress like this Tahari: http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Belk?layer=0&src=1500250_3120M950_A_960_T10L00&layer=comp&$P_PROD$
with a suit jacket? Or are patterns generally a big no no.

Im having trouble finding something I like 🙁
If not I guess I can go with a Calvin Klein or something....

Anyone else try on a Kasper suit and felt like they were made for the mother or the bride or something?
Never seen more matronly suits in my life!
 
Could I wear a thick, lined dress like this Tahari: http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/Belk?layer=0&src=1500250_3120M950_A_960_T10L00&layer=comp&$P_PROD$
with a suit jacket? Or are patterns generally a big no no.

Im having trouble finding something I like 🙁
If not I guess I can go with a Calvin Klein or something....

Anyone else try on a Kasper suit and felt like they were made for the mother or the bride or something?
Never seen more matronly suits in my life!

High risk... I wouldn't do it. Big, bold patterns aren't a good idea.

Matronly? Yeah. Boring but safe.
 
I haven't finished reading this thread yet,
so I apologize if this has already been answered, any suggestions for size 14 lady with large arms? My arms are too big for a suit jacket and I have looked at plus sized suits and they are all unflattering. I am also very large chested. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
 
I haven't finished reading this thread yet,
so I apologize if this has already been answered, any suggestions for size 14 lady with large arms? My arms are too big for a suit jacket and I have looked at plus sized suits and they are all unflattering. I am also very large chested. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Unflattering or not, remember, your goal is not to look pretty, it's to look professional.

Sounds like you're going to have a harder time shopping, but grit your teeth and do it anyway. Look for a suit that fits in the shoulders and big enough in the arms, and take it to a good tailor for alterations elsewhere. A proper fit is going to be even more important for you, and a high quality fabric is something you should insist on. (Also pay serious attention to your foundation garments. A really good bra is going to be critical to a 'pulled together' look.)

With your shape, you may have better luck with a dress and contrasting jacket. Many 'box' jackets have looser sleeves by design, and a 'non-blazer' cut - something simple with a well-defined shape - might be just the ticket. Since the jacket's going to be the hard part, start there, and find a suitable solid color dress after.

Or go directly to a tailor and have something made? For a tailor/dressmaker, the trickiest parts of a jacket are the neckline/lapels and the sleeves. A jacket with raglan sleeves and no lapels should not be too horrendously expensive. (Ask the dressmaker) You don't want a lot of fussy details up top anyway... A simple jacket you could wear with a few dresses might be a very worthwhile career investment. I'm showing these for shape only, not fabric or color obviously.

http://www.theoutnet.com/product/39574
http://ncrni.com/alice-olivia-nara-cropped-box-jacket-p-4892.html

One other suggestion - and admittedly, it's going to sound weird. Try looking for plain navy blazers in a store that sells uniforms for high school boys. (Weird, I know.) But you can find some very well-made jackets (they're made for every-day wear, remember?) that are cut broader in the shoulder and arms and narrower through the hips. You'll still have to have them tailored, but might get a better starting point. And the prices for boy's clothing are generally less than for women's wear of comparable quality.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
High risk... I wouldn't do it. Big, bold patterns aren't a good idea.

Matronly? Yeah. Boring but safe.
You're totally right 🙂
I guess I knew the answer already but was holding out hope 😉
I have a true hourglass shape and finding flattering stuff has been a nightmare. Skirts always end up looking too va va voom and pants either fit the bum or the waist, never both.

Time to find a good tailor!
 
thanks doktermom! And I meant unflattering in that they didn't look like they fit properly on the model, much less me.
Unflattering or not, remember, your goal is not to look pretty, it's to look professional.

Sounds like you're going to have a harder time shopping, but grit your teeth and do it anyway. Look for a suit that fits in the shoulders and big enough in the arms, and take it to a good tailor for alterations elsewhere. A proper fit is going to be even more important for you, and a high quality fabric is something you should insist on. (Also pay serious attention to your foundation garments. A really good bra is going to be critical to a 'pulled together' look.)

With your shape, you may have better luck with a dress and contrasting jacket. Many 'box' jackets have looser sleeves by design, and a 'non-blazer' cut - something simple with a well-defined shape - might be just the ticket. Since the jacket's going to be the hard part, start there, and find a suitable solid color dress after.

Or go directly to a tailor and have something made? For a tailor/dressmaker, the trickiest parts of a jacket are the neckline/lapels and the sleeves. A jacket with raglan sleeves and no lapels should not be too horrendously expensive. (Ask the dressmaker) You don't want a lot of fussy details up top anyway... A simple jacket you could wear with a few dresses might be a very worthwhile career investment. I'm showing these for shape only, not fabric or color obviously.

http://www.theoutnet.com/product/39574
http://ncrni.com/alice-olivia-nara-cropped-box-jacket-p-4892.html

One other suggestion - and admittedly, it's going to sound weird. Try looking for plain navy blazers in a store that sells uniforms for high school boys. (Weird, I know.) But you can find some very well-made jackets (they're made for every-day wear, remember?) that are cut broader in the shoulder and arms and narrower through the hips. You'll still have to have them tailored, but might get a better starting point. And the prices for boy's clothing are generally less than for women's wear of comparable quality.
 
@fluroescing, I think it's a pretty dress but Imo its not formal enough for a med school interview. If your sold on wearing a dress Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, Black Halo, Jay Godfrey, Luisa Spagnoli, Naeem Khan would be better choices. Ralph Lauren and Elie Tahari have nice blazers and suits. Renting clothes is also a viable option.

Girls do this?
 
Yeah, if its a wedding or special event with a specific attire, especially when youre only going to wear something one time, it's more cost effective.

But Katherine Heigl keeps all of her extra wedding dresses, or at least she did in that one movie right?
 
Visuals please.🙂

No idea but I guess she's talking about the purses girls used to wear in middle school where the strap went across the chest between the breasts. I always thought they looked a little weird but my buddies considered them the holy grail of feminine apparel. e.g.:

IMG_1044.jpg
 
What kind of handbag are you all going to carry?

Last week I ordered this tote: http://www.ebags.com/product/kennet...age/a-majority-tote/258593?productid=10257088 in black and I absolutely LOVE it. Even if you don't use it to carry an ipad and/or laptop (tho it has pockets for both), it is stylish and really functional (zillions of pockets big and small--such as the ones in front and back big enough for magazines, papers and boarding passes--plus lots of space for things in the middle compartment, metal feet so it stands up straight without a person leaning it against something, etc.).

I just flew back home yesterday from a med school interview and this tote was perfect for both the interview and my flights. From what I saw, all the other women at the interview were using similar looking/sized totes (though some had them in brown/nude or other colors).

I would highly recommend a tote of some kind, as you can fit your portfolio (which has a notepad useful for taking notes + space for reading materials) and plenty of other things in it (if I had brought flats to change into, they would have fit in there too).

/my 2 cents
 
Last edited:
Is it too casual to have a crossbody bag?

I would say yes. I just got back from a med school interview and from what I saw all the women (including myself) were using totes of some kind. Plus, you can't really fit what you need [for a med school interview] in a crossbody bag--the med schools will also give you materials to keep (papers, pens, I even got a flash drive with school info on it) and you just won't be able to fit everything in a crossbody bag.

Go to any office store (like office depot) and they usually have good women's business totes--or order one online like I did (see my above post). Even department stores like Macys will have good sized (and good looking) totes.
 
Last edited:
I was wondering about appropriate handbags as well. It seems that the general consensus is to opt for a professional-looking tote, but I'm rather well endowed and I've always found that bags which hit right under the shoulder or at the chest are uncomfortable to carry and accentuate my bust. I'm also 6' tall and have long, skinny legs so these kind of totes make me look a bit like one of Salvador Dali's elephants.

I've used a Coach briefcase for job interviews (it's from their men's collection... shhh). It's large enough to fit a 13" laptop and with the strap slung over my shoulder sits at my hips.

tumblr_mrozlhahR11qgzbvao1_r1_400.jpg


Would this bag be inappropriate for med interviews? I'm a tomboy from California, so I'm fairly naive when it comes to professional attire. Thanks, ladies!
 
Briefcases are by no means inappropriate for med school interviews. Yours is cute, too -- I might look into a similar option.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No idea but I guess she's talking about the purses girls used to wear in middle school where the strap went across the chest between the breasts. I always thought they looked a little weird but my buddies considered them the holy grail of feminine apparel. e.g.:
For the most part, whatever bag/purse suits your personality (e.g. English major, tomboy, fashion savvy, etc), professionally that is, hence the name health care professional.🙂 It may even serve as a talking piece at some point.:shrug:
 
Just bought my suit today! Got a charcoal jacket/skirt for $160 but the alterations are costing me $110! 😱 That's what I get for having a weird body shape. Also found a beautiful teal(ish?) shell that gives that necessary pop of color but is perfectly subtle. Love it! The only downside is it doesn't have sleeves... gonna have to get my suit dry cleaned in between interviews :lame:
 
What kind of handbag are you all going to carry?

I have a medium-large brown purse (no frills or whistles) that can fit an umbrella and my flats/heels. Ultimately it ends up on the floor when I go to see the interviewer so I didn't worry about buying a special one just for interviews - but I realized that I did need one when I knew I would have to take two pairs of shoes.
 
After reading this, I feel like the black leather Kate Spade purse will be just fine. The question is, is it bad to carry a black bag w a navy suit?