Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I went ahead and bought this suit: (looks a million times better in person)

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tahari-by-asl-petite-suit-micro-stripe-jacket-trousers?ID=833934

Shirt colors? Should I just be safe and go with a white? I think it looks pretty nice with the black, or maybe a nice baby blue...

Im just happy to have found a suit, frankly :laugh:
Me personally, I'd go for anything else other than white shirts, especially the plain-solid ones.

P.S. if you know an employee or befriend one you can add 16% to those 20% off rewards passes. 🙂
 
I went ahead and bought this suit: (looks a million times better in person)

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tahari-by-asl-petite-suit-micro-stripe-jacket-trousers?ID=833934

Shirt colors? Should I just be safe and go with a white? I think it looks pretty nice with the black, or maybe a nice baby blue...

Im just happy to have found a suit, frankly :laugh:

I think baby blue would go well with it; if you wanted to go bolder, I think a deep red (~wine red/maroon-ish) would also be a nice look.

Oh, and thanks for the replies guys! Just bought my clothes today in a massive outlet sale spree, and was suggested went for a regular jacket with two regular buttons 😀 The only thing left for me is a bag -- my "formal" bag is apricot orange-y and open on the top, so I might try to look for one at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so this isn't an clothes question per say but wanted everyone's opinion.

I currently have ombre dyed hair (brown tips)...should I leave it or dye it to my natural hair color? I love my ombre but I'm not sure if its too unprofessional
 
Ok so this isn't an clothes question per say but wanted everyone's opinion.

I currently have ombre dyed hair (brown tips)...should I leave it or dye it to my natural hair color? I love my ombre but I'm not sure if its too unprofessional

I'd lose the ombre... It's definitely less professional, and if it makes you feel better, the look also seems to be past it's fashion peak.
 
Is it too casual to wear a blazer with 3/4 sleeve? The blazer looks is similar to the one in the link below, but I'll be wearing it with a skirt instead of pants.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...1#fn=BRAND=BCX&sp=1&spc=23&ruleId=60&slotId=7

I'm really petite so it was hard to find a suit that fit me and also under a budget (to give you an idea.. Ann Taylor's 00 petite suit was so big on me that the lady at the store told me tailoring wouldn't help much).

Also would it be alright to wear a hot pink shell under this suit, or should I be safe and wear a cream-colored shell instead?
 
Is it too casual to wear a blazer with 3/4 sleeve? The blazer looks is similar to the one in the link below, but I'll be wearing it with a skirt instead of pants.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...1#fn=BRAND=BCX&sp=1&spc=23&ruleId=60&slotId=7

I'm really petite so it was hard to find a suit that fit me and also under a budget (to give you an idea.. Ann Taylor's 00 petite suit was so big on me that the lady at the store told me tailoring wouldn't help much).

Also would it be alright to wear a hot pink shell under this suit, or should I be safe and wear a cream-colored shell instead?

I don't know the general consensus on this but I just bought a 3/4 sleeve blazer. I'm pretty petite too and I thought the shorter sleeves looked way better and more proportional. As long as you look professional no one will notice either way. As for the hot pink shell...I wouldn't do it but that's just me
 
Is it too casual to wear a blazer with 3/4 sleeve? The blazer looks is similar to the one in the link below, but I'll be wearing it with a skirt instead of pants.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...1#fn=BRAND=BCX&sp=1&spc=23&ruleId=60&slotId=7

I'm really petite so it was hard to find a suit that fit me and also under a budget (to give you an idea.. Ann Taylor's 00 petite suit was so big on me that the lady at the store told me tailoring wouldn't help much).

Also would it be alright to wear a hot pink shell under this suit, or should I be safe and wear a cream-colored shell instead?

Jackets with cropped sleeves are probably fine, but I would steer away from the junior's section. Your suit will be cheap and will look cheap.
 
Jackets with cropped sleeves are probably fine, but I would steer away from the junior's section. Your suit will be cheap and will look cheap.

I have tried on suits from a lot of stores and the only ones that fit me are from the junior's section. Anyone have recommendations for places to buy suits for people who are very petite?
 
Ok so this isn't an clothes question per say but wanted everyone's opinion.

I currently have ombre dyed hair (brown tips)...should I leave it or dye it to my natural hair color? I love my ombre but I'm not sure if its too unprofessional

I have ombre hair as well. I am just going to keep it back in a bun or pony tail. I really don't think they are going to notice it!
 
I have tried on suits from a lot of stores and the only ones that fit me are from the junior's section. Anyone have recommendations for places to buy suits for people who are very petite?

Someone earlier said that the J Crew petite suits worked well for them. Maybe check out their online size-charts?
 
BR has petites but I got a 00 in their skirt suit and it runs a little large. If the juniors' section fits you better, just make sure the cut and material are professional and you will be fine.
 
Hi ladies! Just wanted to share that Express is having a sale this weekend: everything in the store is 40% off, including their suits. I just stocked up today and I believe the sale ends Monday. They have a lot of good shirts to wear under your suit if you want to add some color. Anyway, just wanted to share 🙂
 
Question regarding bags. I had not even considered bringing a bag but this thread made me feel otherwise.

What exactly should we be bringing to the interview? I saw some people say laptops...?
Should we bring our laptops? And what else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
clutch interview looks
tumblr_mq80k2fLUB1s2rwaso1_500.jpg


obvs nix accessories and less fashiony cut suit but the colors are so nice
 
Apologies if this has been discussed and I can't find the thread...

I've heard mixed reviews on wearing engagement rings to interviews. Some say that it shows commitment and maturity, some say it's ostentatious if a bit large, some say it (negatively) shows commitment to things -other- than school, etc. I've been engaged since March 2013, am applying this cycle, and will get married the month before Fall 2014 matriculation. Opinions?
 
Also, in regards to the topic of handbags/totes-

I interview ladies often at my workplace, and I think handbags look sloppy. They're always oversized, bulging, and overstuffed with unnecessary items. Bring a leather folder/portfolio that zips around, and it will hold a notepad, pen, chapstick, phone, even extra nylons, and provide room for brochures and business cards. That is ALL you need.
 
Apologies if this has been discussed and I can't find the thread...

I've heard mixed reviews on wearing engagement rings to interviews. Some say that it shows commitment and maturity, some say it's ostentatious if a bit large, some say it (negatively) shows commitment to things -other- than school, etc. I've been engaged since March 2013, am applying this cycle, and will get married the month before Fall 2014 matriculation. Opinions?

Any opinions?:scared:
 
I have some nice heels for the interview portion, but I was thinking of wearing flats for the walking tour. I bought these:

ma3VED86EnuPti7-6dQADLw.jpg


My suit is black and I have a white shell so it looks cute, but do you think it's too "trendy" for the interview?
 
I have some nice heels for the interview portion, but I was thinking of wearing flats for the walking tour. I bought these:

ma3VED86EnuPti7-6dQADLw.jpg


My suit is black and I have a white shell so it looks cute, but do you think it's too "trendy" for the interview?
You mean something like this?
Jennifer+Morrison+Paley+Center+Media+PaleyFest+CzJWuc2LDl6l.jpg
Jennifer+Morrison+Paley+Center+Media+PaleyFest+9tJCJcw9OYGl.jpg
 
Apologies if this has been discussed and I can't find the thread...

I've heard mixed reviews on wearing engagement rings to interviews. Some say that it shows commitment and maturity, some say it's ostentatious if a bit large, some say it (negatively) shows commitment to things -other- than school, etc. I've been engaged since March 2013, am applying this cycle, and will get married the month before Fall 2014 matriculation. Opinions?

I don't see why it would be a problem. There are quite a few people in my class who are engaged, married, and/or have a baby already. The majority of students DO (and should) have commitments to things other than school, whether it's family, sports, or something else. Wearing an engagement ring is in no way a red flag.
 
Question regarding bags. I had not even considered bringing a bag but this thread made me feel otherwise.

What exactly should we be bringing to the interview? I saw some people say laptops...?
Should we bring our laptops? And what else?

I brought a Nine West tote to carry my flats (to change for the tour), a pen, gum, and water. It was also nice for holding the folder/papers they gave us during presentations. You most likely won't need a laptop at interviews for any reason, and it'll just be something unneeded and heavy to lug around.
 
These are super cute! I think they'd look very stylish AND professional on the right person.

I have some nice heels for the interview portion, but I was thinking of wearing flats for the walking tour. I bought these:

ma3VED86EnuPti7-6dQADLw.jpg


My suit is black and I have a white shell so it looks cute, but do you think it's too "trendy" for the interview?
 
Any ideas for a tall, skinny young woman? I'm 5'7" 105. I can't seem to find any flattering suits without looking shapeless or like a hoe. 😕
 
Any ideas for a tall, skinny young woman? I'm 5'7" 105. I can't seem to find any flattering suits without looking shapeless or like a hoe. 😕

Have you tried J. Crew? One of my friends who's a size 0 or 00 gets her suits there, and they always look great on her. They have tall pants and skirts, which might fix the ho problem. Their prices are too high for me so I shop at the J. Crew Factory Store, but the factory suits only come in regular length.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you guys think about nude pumps with a navy skirt suit? Should I spring for navy heels? I'd rather not buy brown heels because brown is so blah.
 
Have you tried J. Crew? One of my friends who's a size 0 or 00 gets her suits there, and they always look great on her. They have tall pants and skirts, which might fix the ho problem. Their prices are too high for me so I shop at the J. Crew Factory Store, but the factory suits only come in regular length.

J Crew will occasionally have 30% or 40% off sales on their women's suiting, just have to keep an eye out. I scored my suit that way last year 🙂
 
J Crew will occasionally have 30% or 40% off sales on their women's suiting, just have to keep an eye out. I scored my suit that way last year 🙂
Especially right now (Labor Day weekend) as I post; I was at the mall earlier today and there are lots of on-sale places to shop at. 😛
 
What do you guys think about nude pumps with a navy skirt suit? Should I spring for navy heels? I'd rather not buy brown heels because brown is so blah.

I think that sound nice. I wouldn't even try for navy heels because you may not be able to find something that matches the color of the suit well. Nude pumps go with anything, imo.
 
For bags, how big is too big? And I've seen people mention that the bag should be "structured." Would this be appropriate? (in black or navy)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/longchamp-le-pliage-large-tote/3241956

I'm short, so the bag drops to about hip height for me. Is it too big/low hanging? It also isn't structured, so if I put it down during the interview it will flop over (but I'll zip it up, so nothing will fall out).

Also, if I'm wearing a black suit, can I go with a navy bag? Or should I just buy a black bag?

Thanks so much for the advice 🙂
 
I'm not applying until next year, but this thread is getting me really excited about interviews!!! That sounds so silly, but it's true! Good luck to you all 🙂

Quick question. I'm pretty short (5'3"), so I assume that I'm at the height where heels are basically necessary. But I can't walk in heels AT ALL. Like.. at all. Should I start practicing now so that I will be able to do it in a year? Or can I just stick with my beloved flats? Thanks 😳
 
I'm not applying until next year, but this thread is getting me really excited about interviews!!! That sounds so silly, but it's true! Good luck to you all 🙂

Quick question. I'm pretty short (5'3"), so I assume that I'm at the height where heels are basically necessary. But I can't walk in heels AT ALL. Like.. at all. Should I start practicing now so that I will be able to do it in a year? Or can I just stick with my beloved flats? Thanks 😳

Try wedges or a shorter heel? I'm 5'2" and can limp around decently in heels for a while so I'll probably suck it up for the interview but will bring flats for the tour. I don't think that heels are necessary though-- many applicants choose to wear flats the whole time.
 
Okay - I know this has been addressed before but how does this list sound for things to bring for an interview:

Leather bound legal pad for notes
Pen
AMCAS app
Secondary app
Resume
Interview confirmation
Phone
Wallet
Photo ID

Snacks
Mints/gum/possibly toothbrush/wisps
Flats
Pantyhose
Deodorant
Makeup
Bobby pins & hair tie

I feel like I should just rent a UHAUL for all of the crap I'm bringing? :laugh:
 
Try wedges or a shorter heel? I'm 5'2" and can limp around decently in heels for a while so I'll probably suck it up for the interview but will bring flats for the tour. I don't think that heels are necessary though-- many applicants choose to wear flats the whole time.

Hmm, yeah, maybe I'll try wedges. Heels are just so uncomfortable! I always get blisters. If I can make it work, I will. If not, I'll hope that my interviewer doesn't judge my flats! Thanks 👍
 
Okay - I know this has been addressed before but how does this list sound for things to bring for an interview:

Leather bound legal pad for notes
Pen
AMCAS app
Secondary app
Resume
Interview confirmation
Phone
Wallet
Photo ID

Snacks
Mints/gum/possibly toothbrush/wisps
Flats
Pantyhose
Deodorant
Makeup
Bobby pins & hair tie

I feel like I should just rent a UHAUL for all of the crap I'm bringing? :laugh:

Great list! I'm going to refer back to this. 🙂

I would also add umbrella. Ya never know.
 
Okay - I know this has been addressed before but how does this list sound for things to bring for an interview:

Leather bound legal pad for notes
Pen
AMCAS app
Secondary app
Resume
Interview confirmation
Phone
Wallet
Photo ID

Snacks
Mints/gum/possibly toothbrush/wisps
Flats
Pantyhose
Deodorant
Makeup
Bobby pins & hair tie

I feel like I should just rent a UHAUL for all of the crap I'm bringing? :laugh:

I've got pretty much all the above in my tote, plus a bottle of water. Gotta stay hydrated!
 
I've got pretty much all the above in my tote, plus a bottle of water. Gotta stay hydrated!

Great list! I'm going to refer back to this. 🙂

I would also add umbrella. Ya never know.

Good calls! I think I will also bring some bandaids just in case. sunflower was right about blisters. If only I was this prepared for the actual interview part now... :scared:
 
Ugh, I now have two skirt suits to decide between. Both charcoal gray. One is from Macys, with a skirt that's about 2" above the knee when standing. The other is from Express that has a nice long skirt (to the kneecap) but I don't feel like the jacket fits as well. Not sure if the first skirt is too short or not...I'm tall and have long legs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ugh, I now have two skirt suits to decide between. Both charcoal gray. One is from Macys, with a skirt that's about 2" above the knee when standing. The other is from Express that has a nice long skirt (to the kneecap) but I don't feel like the jacket fits as well. Not sure if the first skirt is too short or not...I'm tall and have long legs.

How does the Macy's one look when you're sitting?

Can you get the jacket from Express altered?
 
How does the Macy's one look when you're sitting?

Can you get the jacket from Express altered?

When I'm sitting, the Macys one shows about 1/3 of my thigh. I could potentially get the Express jacket altered but I've got a bunch of interviews starting on Monday so there isn't a lot of time.
 
When I'm sitting, the Macys one shows about 1/3 of my thigh. I could potentially get the Express jacket altered but I've got a bunch of interviews starting on Monday so there isn't a lot of time.


Ok, then wear the Macy's suit for the first couple of interviews, and in the mean time, get the Express jacket altered.
 
What are your thoughts on a solid colored shift dress with a not matching but complimentary color jacket?

Example: Black shift dress with a purple jacket.
 
Last edited:
What are your thoughts on a solid colored shift dress with a not matching but complimentary color?

Example: Black shift dress with a purple jacket.

What colors were you thinking? I wouldn't stray so far in my color choices that I am wearing two complementary colors for major pieces like the dress and jacket...then again I cling on to the formality of a suit 🙂

Edit: I see the black and purple now....I don't know that I would wear a purple jacket 😳
 
Last edited: