Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What colors were you thinking? I wouldn't stray so far in my color choices that I am wearing two complementary colors for major pieces like the dress and jacket...then again I cling on to the formality of a suit 🙂

Edit: I see the black and purple now....I don't know that I would wear a purple jacket 😳

I totally missed the word "jacket" in my original post. It was ... confusing.

I have a black J. Crew dress (it's the "Workday" dress). I don't really want to pair it with a black jacket because nobody died. Decisions, decisions.
 
Me and my mom disagree about this so I wanted to get an opinion. For jewelry I was planning on wearing a gold unicorn necklace that belonged to my cousin who passed away. It looks very similar to this:
il_570xN.416077297_crxr.jpg


My mom thinks it may be too childish. The unicorn part of it is only about the size of a pinky nail. I thought it would be a nice softer touch. Opinions?
 
Me and my mom disagree about this so I wanted to get an opinion. For jewelry I was planning on wearing a gold unicorn necklace that belonged to my cousin who passed away. It looks very similar to this:
il_570xN.416077297_crxr.jpg


My mom thinks it may be too childish. The unicorn part of it is only about the size of a pinky nail. I thought it would be a nice softer touch. Opinions?
Bring it; wear it; that's it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me and my mom disagree about this so I wanted to get an opinion. For jewelry I was planning on wearing a gold unicorn necklace that belonged to my cousin who passed away. It looks very similar to this:
il_570xN.416077297_crxr.jpg


My mom thinks it may be too childish. The unicorn part of it is only about the size of a pinky nail. I thought it would be a nice softer touch. Opinions?

Wear it. If you're asked about it, you can tell the adcom why it's significant, and it may show another aspect of your personality favorably.
 
Me and my mom disagree about this so I wanted to get an opinion. For jewelry I was planning on wearing a gold unicorn necklace that belonged to my cousin who passed away. It looks very similar to this:
il_570xN.416077297_crxr.jpg


My mom thinks it may be too childish. The unicorn part of it is only about the size of a pinky nail. I thought it would be a nice softer touch. Opinions?

Sorry - Mom's right. It IS childish. If it has deep meaning for you, bring it but keep it in your pocket.

'__________

Re black dress and purple jacket -- Would depend on the cut and color of the jacket, but probably fine. A scarf with black and purple to tie the two together would be great if you can keep from fiddling with the scarf.
 
Sorry - Mom's right. It IS childish. If it has deep meaning for you, bring it but keep it in your pocket.

'__________

Re black dress and purple jacket -- Would depend on the cut and color of the jacket, but probably fine. A scarf with black and purple to tie the two together would be great if you can keep from fiddling with the scarf.
How so?
 
I always get blisters from new shoes, even flats. The key is to break them in which means you wear them a few times before.
 
so I assume that I'm at the height where heels are basically necessary.

Dude that is not even a thing. I wore flats and many others did too. Honestly I feel that it is more appropriate to wear flats anyway but that is just my own weirdness... Seriously though, do what makes you comfortable and confident!! If you roll in there lookin all badass and ready to **** some **** up that will make you look "taller" than if you are teetering around on heels! 🙂
 
I don't know much about this stuff so if anyone can help me out... I'm wearing a dark grey pants suit with a pair of black heels. What color hose should I wear?
 
Thank you everyone who's contributed here for helping me find my interview suit this weekend! 🙂

I knew nothing about matching clothes, interview suits, skirts, shoes, or anything until I stalked this thread obsessively in secret 😀
 
I always get blisters from new shoes, even flats. The key is to break them in which means you wear them a few times before.

I also find that as long as you are wearing nylons, its not too bad. If I do not wear them I get blisters like crazy - very uncomfortable! If I wear nylons I am good to go. I also bring two sets of shoes, heels for sitting down time (interviews and listening to presentations) and flats for tours or if I have to walk a distance to find my interviews. Women know we aren't supposed to complain about the discomfort we feel when we wear heels, but many girls were ouching after the tour on my last interview.
 
For blisters might I recommend http://m.drugstore.com/products/qxp139254 no it's not the cream that's for yeast infections it's a different gel product they have.

It works great for any kind of chaffing, be it shoes or thighs. You can use it as a face/eyelid primer too it has the same consistency & main ingredients as smash box photo finish except it's way cheaper and it's slightly more matte than smash box.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if its been suggested before, but just a tip for packing a suit without wrinkling it/if you don't want to hang it in the plane 🙂

Place you suit in your suitcase like a taco. Use your other clothes/stuff you packed to act as the 'filling' of the taco...this way your suit isn't really folded up. I did this and there was no problem 🙂
 
Would a ruffle top in deep purple (specifically the one in the attached picture) with a charcoal gray suit and black pumps/tote be too flashy/unprofessional?
 

Attachments

  • Shirt Idea_Purple.JPG
    Shirt Idea_Purple.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 244
Would a ruffle top in deep purple (specifically the one in the attached picture) with a charcoal gray suit and black pumps/tote be too flashy/unprofessional?

Personally I think it is always best to play it conservative with a button-down collared shirt in simple colors, but other people may feel differently.
 
Just wanted to do a shout out for the Salvation Army.

They usually have a dedicated suit section. I walked out with a gorgeous Tahari suit for $20. I also got GORGEOUS interview appropriate coats for nearly nothing.

It takes checking over a period of time, but I think its worth it at least for an extra suit 🙂

Just putting it out there, because I definitely wouldn't have thought to check there if I hadn't been there already.
 
sorry if this has been asked before, but what are opinions on what kind of purse/bag to bring to interview day? should it be big enough that we can carry our folio, etc inside it?
 
sorry if this has been asked before, but what are opinions on what kind of purse/bag to bring to interview day? should it be big enough that we can carry our folio, etc inside it?

I took a black purse that was big enough to fit some papers, but during my first interview the school gave us a huge folder of papers that didn't fit in my purse. So I ended up having to carry my purse and the folder of papers and booklets in my hands. Since I learned that schools can give you a lot of new stuff, I'm just going to switch to a smaller purse (to fit cell phone, wallet, etc.) and just plan to carry around whatever they give us at the interview.
 
sorry if this has been asked before, but what are opinions on what kind of purse/bag to bring to interview day? should it be big enough that we can carry our folio, etc inside it?

Opinions on interview bags have been very variable in this thread (some people like big ones, some like small ones, etc).

You don't necessarily need to get one big enough to carry a laptop (which you definitely don't need to bring to an interview), but considering most bigger bags are somewhat expensive ($80-150+, some $200-400+), I wanted to get one that I can use for more than just interviews (i.e., one I can eventually use on a daily basis for med school, too).

Now I use the bag I got for interviews on a daily basis to carry stuff to work (it can fit my lunch, notebooks, papers, pens, and much more)--I have a job as a research assistant/lab tech--so I think it was a great investment (my bag cost about $150).

Anyway, what I posted earlier in this thread better illustrates my opinion on bags:

I think in the case of interviews (at least in my opinion), bigger is better--you can fit more things in your bag (flats to change into, papers you'll get from the med school, your portfolio, etc.). And then your bag can also function as a great carry-on for flights, too!

Last week I ordered this tote: http://www.ebags.com/product/kennet...age/a-majority-tote/258593?productid=10257088 in black and I absolutely LOVE it. Even if you don't use it to carry an ipad and/or laptop (tho it has pockets for both), it is stylish and really functional (zillions of pockets big and small--such as the ones in front and back big enough for magazines, papers and boarding passes--plus lots of space for things in the middle compartment, metal feet so it stands up straight without a person leaning it against something, etc.).

I just flew back home yesterday from a med school interview and this tote was perfect for both the interview and my flights. From what I saw, all the other women at the interview were using similar looking/sized totes (though some had them in brown/nude or other colors).

I would highly recommend a tote of some kind, as you can fit your portfolio (which has a notepad useful for taking notes + space for reading materials) and plenty of other things in it (if I had brought flats to change into, they would have fit in there too).

/my 2 cents
 
Last edited:
sorry if this has been asked before, but what are opinions on what kind of purse/bag to bring to interview day? should it be big enough that we can carry our folio, etc inside it?

I got a nude/black tote that is large enough to fit all of the essentials (leather bound notepad) and non-essentials (makeup, extra hose, etc.). My suggestions when buying would be to find one that will sit upright if you place it on the floor and to get one with a clasp or a zipper to keep it shut. Mine has a belting option but it doesn't stay shut that well if you stuff the bag, so my first interview I felt a little hobo-ish. I've since cut down on all my emergency back-up supplies after realizing interviewing isn't THAT intense.
 
How often are y'all dry cleaning your suits? I'm wearing long-sleeved tops so I'm not sure when it'll be "due." Sniff check? :laugh:
 
Kind of a silly question that may have been asked in past threads already, but an interview bag for da womminz isn't required right? If we don't own one, what can we use instead to carry around a wallet + notebook for the day? I only own a mini backpack, unfortunately, and am afraid that'll be too..unprofessional 🙁
 
Kind of a silly question that may have been asked in past threads already, but an interview bag for da womminz isn't required right? If we don't own one, what can we use instead to carry around a wallet + notebook for the day? I only own a mini backpack, unfortunately, and am afraid that'll be too..unprofessional 🙁

If you want to save your budget, a simple black canvas tote would be fine - truly. You're right that a mini-backpack wouldn't be OK.
 
Hehe, that's actually great news 😀. My next question would've been if a canvas tote was okay, especially since they're so much cheaper than a purse. My wallet and I want to say thanks!
 
Any recommendations for quality hosiery? I've been running through about a pair of pantyhose/interview because they always snag on my suitcase. Any brands that are less prone to tears?

Also, can we iron our suits? Or steam them? Mine is a stretch wool blend. And no one responded to my dry cleaning inquiry 🙁 (How often? How long does it take? How much does this typically cost?)

Newbie to business attire here!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any recommendations for quality hosiery? I've been running through about a pair of pantyhose/interview because they always snag on my suitcase. Any brands that are less prone to tears?

Also, can we iron our suits? Or steam them? Mine is a stretch wool blend. And no one responded to my dry cleaning inquiry 🙁 (How often? How long does it take? How much does this typically cost?)

Newbie to business attire here!

I'd love to hear hosiery suggestions. I bought an $8.50 pair from Macy's and snagged them the first time I wore them at my interview, but the snag is tiny and didn't run down the leg like the cheap tights I usually wear do. So I might just dab it with clear nail polish (it's on the inside of my knee so not very noticeable) and wear them again and maybe buy cheap drug store ones as a back up. Soo in conclusion...I think $8.50 is a lot to spend on a pair of hose you snag the first time you wear them, but if the snag stays localized and doesn't run like cheap hose, maybe it's a good investment.

Dry cleaning costs & times are highly variable depending on the place. Just call a couple in your area and ask. Sometimes they have deals. Women's suits often cost more than men's to clean for literally no reason. Groupon often has dry cleaning deals, at least in my area. I plan to dry clean my suit whenever I notice I've sweated during the interview day. (I also have a sleeveless shell.) Probably getting it cleaned after every 2 or 3 interviews is ideal, and that's what I'll do. Really, it's just whatever you want. Obviously you don't want to smell bad, but other than that, just do what makes sense to you.
 
I'd love to hear hosiery suggestions. I bought an $8.50 pair from Macy's and snagged them the first time I wore them at my interview, but the snag is tiny and didn't run down the leg like the cheap tights I usually wear do. So I might just dab it with clear nail polish (it's on the inside of my knee so not very noticeable) and wear them again and maybe buy cheap drug store ones as a back up. Soo in conclusion...I think $8.50 is a lot to spend on a pair of hose you snag the first time you wear them, but if the snag stays localized and doesn't run like cheap hose, maybe it's a good investment.

Dry cleaning costs & times are highly variable depending on the place. Just call a couple in your area and ask. Sometimes they have deals. Women's suits often cost more than men's to clean for literally no reason. Groupon often has dry cleaning deals, at least in my area. I plan to dry clean my suit whenever I notice I've sweated during the interview day. (I also have a sleeveless shell.) Probably getting it cleaned after every 2 or 3 interviews is ideal, and that's what I'll do. Really, it's just whatever you want. Obviously you don't want to smell bad, but other than that, just do what makes sense to you.

Hosiery sucks. With that said, I bought some Gabriella compression-style hosiery, and they are tough as nails. I've worn mine a handful of times, and there are no snags, no runs, and no imperfections. They look new. I bought them on clearance at Target way back when for like $7. I think they're regularly $30, which is a bit pricey. But if you average the cost per wear and add in your peace of mind, I think even the original cost is worthwhile.
 
Hosiery sucks. With that said, I bought some Gabriella compression-style hosiery, and they are tough as nails. I've worn mine a handful of times, and there are no snags, no runs, and no imperfections. They look new. I bought them on clearance at Target way back when for like $7. I think they're regularly $30, which is a bit pricey. But if you average the cost per wear and add in your peace of mind, I think even the original cost is worthwhile.

Thanks for the tip!
 
Any recommendations for quality hosiery? I've been running through about a pair of pantyhose/interview because they always snag on my suitcase. Any brands that are less prone to tears?

Also, can we iron our suits? Or steam them? Mine is a stretch wool blend. And no one responded to my dry cleaning inquiry 🙁 (How often? How long does it take? How much does this typically cost?)

Newbie to business attire here!

Uniqlo makes some great tights. I dunno about the color range but their plain black ones are super thick for the price and have lasted me about a year and I wear tights very often, then again I have like 8 pairs of black tights.

Pretty Polly makes good tights also but they cost a bit more. According to the internet Wolford is the holy grail of pantyhose but I would never pay that much.

If there's some like medical supply/clothing place near you sometimes they'll have some brands of tights that like compression or.. old school I guess. Those are usually pretty hardy especially the compression tights like someone already mentioned.

The higher the denier # the thicker they are so you can compare that and price point if you're out shopping.
 
Uniqlo makes some great tights. I dunno about the color range but their plain black ones are super thick for the price and have lasted me about a year and I wear tights very often, then again I have like 8 pairs of black tights.

Pretty Polly makes good tights also but they cost a bit more. According to the internet Wolford is the holy grail of pantyhose but I would never pay that much.

If there's some like medical supply/clothing place near you sometimes they'll have some brands of tights that like compression or.. old school I guess. Those are usually pretty hardy especially the compression tights like someone already mentioned.

The higher the denier # the thicker they are so you can compare that and price point if you're out shopping.

Hosiery sucks. With that said, I bought some Gabriella compression-style hosiery, and they are tough as nails. I've worn mine a handful of times, and there are no snags, no runs, and no imperfections. They look new. I bought them on clearance at Target way back when for like $7. I think they're regularly $30, which is a bit pricey. But if you average the cost per wear and add in your peace of mind, I think even the original cost is worthwhile.

Dry cleaning costs & times are highly variable depending on the place. Just call a couple in your area and ask. Sometimes they have deals. Women's suits often cost more than men's to clean for literally no reason. Groupon often has dry cleaning deals, at least in my area. I plan to dry clean my suit whenever I notice I've sweated during the interview day. (I also have a sleeveless shell.) Probably getting it cleaned after every 2 or 3 interviews is ideal, and that's what I'll do. Really, it's just whatever you want. Obviously you don't want to smell bad, but other than that, just do what makes sense to you.

Thanks for the tips, ladies! Looks like I have some shopping to do. Hope everyone's interviews are going well so far!
 
I posted this bit on the class thread about packing for interviews sans garment bag, but thought it might be useful for anyone following only this one. Since most airlines enforce the carry-on + 1 personal item rule, if you have a purse/tote with you some airlines *might* decide to be stickler-ish about an extra garment bag -- especially if you're flying a lot of "budget" airlines :laugh:

Anyways, here's what I did in case anyone's worried about folding your nice interview-wear into a carry-on (which I definitely was, hahah):
1. Padded the bottom of my carry-on with a t-shirt so the ribs from the handle weren't digging into anything.
2. Folded my pants into thirds and laid it straight across the now flat surface.
3. Folded my collared shirt as you would see in a store and placed it side-by side with a toiletries bag to even out the height between the two halves of the suitcase.
4a. Folded up my jacket in half so that the collar was intact and facing the outwards, gently folded over the sleeves flat across the front at a natural angle, and then put my jacket on top of everything else.
4b. Placed some other clothes (sleepwear, extra shirt) in the fold so that it wouldn't have any real crease
4c. Put a t-shirt over my jacket so the straps of my carry-on wouldn't wrinkle it and then strapped it all in!
5. I did bring along a few nice wooden hangers to hang everything right after arriving, but my suit came out perfectly fine after ~10 hours of travel! No need for shower-steaming or anything.

Best of luck to everyone flying out for various interviews! 👍
 
What are y'all wearing underneath your suit? A standard button up that buttons up to the collar is usually appropriate correct? I've been looking everywhere for a button up but it seems that the trend nowadays is button up that only buttons up to the chest area and doesnt go up any further. 🙁 would those be appropriate to wear?

Would it be appropriate to wear a chiffon button up if you weren't planning on taking your jacket off? Or even a silk blouse? I'm a bit confused as to what would be appropriate to wear underneath your jacket.
 
What are y'all wearing underneath your suit? A standard button up that buttons up to the collar is usually appropriate correct? I've been looking everywhere for a button up but it seems that the trend nowadays is button up that only buttons up to the chest area and doesnt go up any further. 🙁 would those be appropriate to wear?

Would it be appropriate to wear a chiffon button up if you weren't planning on taking your jacket off? Or even a silk blouse? I'm a bit confused as to what would be appropriate to wear underneath your jacket.

I think around half of the women in our group of ~35 interviewees wore a collared shirt. Others wore clean-cut tanktops/tshirts or blouses. I don't think you can go wrong as long as it looks sensible (no cleavage, stains, excessive wrinkling, etc) 😀
 
ladies,

this dress from Banana with a black blazer and conservative shoes? thoughts?

Depends on the fabric... If it is either wool or polyester/viscose rayon blend then my vote is yes. Extra points if it is lined. If it is modal, elastine, spandex blends or otherwise "stretchy" material, probably not the best.
 
It was $30, but I wore a sleeveless collared colored shirt from Express that buttoned up to my chest but not neck (but far enough up that there was no danger of cleavage). I think a collar makes it professional looking. I wore a small, simple gold chain with it. It's sleeveless so I can't take off my suit jacket but I usually get warm when nervous so I thought sleeveless was better.

What are y'all wearing underneath your suit? A standard button up that buttons up to the collar is usually appropriate correct? I've been looking everywhere for a button up but it seems that the trend nowadays is button up that only buttons up to the chest area and doesnt go up any further. 🙁 would those be appropriate to wear?

Would it be appropriate to wear a chiffon button up if you weren't planning on taking your jacket off? Or even a silk blouse? I'm a bit confused as to what would be appropriate to wear underneath your jacket.
 
I'd love to hear hosiery suggestions. I bought an $8.50 pair from Macy's and snagged them the first time I wore them at my interview, but the snag is tiny and didn't run down the leg like the cheap tights I usually wear do. So I might just dab it with clear nail polish (it's on the inside of my knee so not very noticeable) and wear them again and maybe buy cheap drug store ones as a back up. Soo in conclusion...I think $8.50 is a lot to spend on a pair of hose you snag the first time you wear them, but if the snag stays localized and doesn't run like cheap hose, maybe it's a good investment.

Dry cleaning costs & times are highly variable depending on the place. Just call a couple in your area and ask. Sometimes they have deals. Women's suits often cost more than men's to clean for literally no reason. Groupon often has dry cleaning deals, at least in my area. I plan to dry clean my suit whenever I notice I've sweated during the interview day. (I also have a sleeveless shell.) Probably getting it cleaned after every 2 or 3 interviews is ideal, and that's what I'll do. Really, it's just whatever you want. Obviously you don't want to smell bad, but other than that, just do what makes sense to you.

If lady suits are anything like men's suits, you'll want to minimize the frequency of dry cleaning. It shortens the life of your suit.
 
What are y'all wearing underneath your suit? A standard button up that buttons up to the collar is usually appropriate correct? I've been looking everywhere for a button up but it seems that the trend nowadays is button up that only buttons up to the chest area and doesnt go up any further. 🙁 would those be appropriate to wear?

Would it be appropriate to wear a chiffon button up if you weren't planning on taking your jacket off? Or even a silk blouse? I'm a bit confused as to what would be appropriate to wear underneath your jacket.

Not frilly, not see through. And it certainly doesn't have to button all the way up, though cleavage is inappropriate. Silk is fine if you can afford the dry-cleaning. Chiffon is generally too see-through. You want to look intelligent and professional and relatively 'low-maintenance'

ladies,

this dress from Banana with a black blazer and conservative shoes? thoughts?

Borderline. The dress is kind of 'loud' in print.
 
hey everyone,

I'm not sure if you all have already discussed this but are purses okay? and how big/small should it be? can it have a long strap or should it be only the "shoulder" kind (I obviously don't know that much about purses haha)?

thanks!
 
hey everyone,

I'm not sure if you all have already discussed this but are purses okay? and how big/small should it be? can it have a long strap or should it be only the "shoulder" kind (I obviously don't know that much about purses haha)?

thanks!

Look at the last 2-3 pages + throughout this thread (I think there's a "search this thread" function); this topic has been discussed a lot.

Long story short, it's really up to you (as long as the bag doesn't look too casual). I posted my personal opinion (and a number of others did the same) a page or so back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is it okay to just wear a long sleeve collared shirt with a skirt or do we have to wear a suit top too? i have an interview coming up where it's going to be 80 degrees and we're going to have to hike up hills. i'm going to be so sweaty if i have to wear both..

also, why is there such an extensive discussion on bags? i thought we store our bags as soon as we get to the interview anyway?
 
is it okay to just wear a long sleeve collared shirt with a skirt or do we have to wear a suit top too? i have an interview coming up where it's going to be 80 degrees and we're going to have to hike up hills. i'm going to be so sweaty if i have to wear both..

also, why is there such an extensive discussion on bags? i thought we store our bags as soon as we get to the interview anyway?

I personally think you need a blazer. You would stand out if you didn't and would look too casual. The tours are generally with students and pretty casual so if you need to take it off, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Also when it comes to bags, I've kept mine with me at every interview I've had. There wasn't any other option really.
 
I personally think you need a blazer. You would stand out if you didn't and would look too casual. The tours are generally with students and pretty casual so if you need to take it off, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Also when it comes to bags, I've kept mine with me at every interview I've had. There wasn't any other option really.

I agree that you also need a suit coat. From business school, I was told that women should never remove a suit jacket in a professional setting. Keep it on, and fully buttoned!
 
Thoughts on open toe shoes? Like black leather, very professional looking, but is peep-toe.

I really want to wear them because they're super comfortable business shoes, but is the open-toe thing an automatic no?

Edit: Kind of like these, but not patent and slightly lower heel
1860827-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
 
Thoughts on open toe shoes? Like black leather, very professional looking, but is peep-toe.

I really want to wear them because they're super comfortable business shoes, but is the open-toe thing an automatic no?

Edit: Kind of like these, but not patent and slightly lower heel
1860827-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I don't think any interviewer will notice, and if they do, they won't give a bad report about you for it.