Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I took advantage of all the department store sales this weekend and bought my first real suit!

I'm very narrow and not-at-all-curvy, and a lot of the more traditionally-cut suit jackets kind of hung on me. Sort of looked like I was playing dress-up in my mom's closet, haha. I finally found a black skirt suit that I really love. The skirt is a simple black pencil, but the jacket is more on the modern/fashionable side. It is collarless, with gold buttons and very small gold accents at the waist. I think it looks classy, but don't want it to come across as flashy. From the sounds of it, what do you guys think?
 
I've owned this bag for about a year, and it's got some marks of natural leather wear (lighter marks like scratches). It's perfect for fitting everything into and fits perfectly over my shoulder. However, should I assume it will be too casual for interviews? (English Saddle Color)

https://www.madewell.com/madewell_c...vwgw1giHCeZO54na8nnpI-1z1urfjhzLgtxoCg37w_wcB

Very attractive. IMO, if you give it a good polish, it will look like a useful, tasteful, well-made but unpretentious bag that would be perfectly acceptable in virtually any circumstances.

I took advantage of all the department store sales this weekend and bought my first real suit!

I'm very narrow and not-at-all-curvy, and a lot of the more traditionally-cut suit jackets kind of hung on me. Sort of looked like I was playing dress-up in my mom's closet, haha. I finally found a black skirt suit that I really love. The skirt is a simple black pencil, but the jacket is more on the modern/fashionable side. It is collarless, with gold buttons and very small gold accents at the waist. I think it looks classy, but don't want it to come across as flashy. From the sounds of it, what do you guys think?
Why do women so often make their bodies sound 'worse' than they are!? You're slim - own it! And your suit sounds very nice. If your body type is decidedly 'non-Vegas' then you can pull off a little more 'flash' than a 'lingerie model' type women could get away with; and if your figure is more youthful, then a more sophisticated look might be a good thing. Just keep your blouse, jewelry and shoes low key and let your suit make your fashion statement.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took advantage of all the department store sales this weekend and bought my first real suit!

I'm very narrow and not-at-all-curvy, and a lot of the more traditionally-cut suit jackets kind of hung on me. Sort of looked like I was playing dress-up in my mom's closet, haha. I finally found a black skirt suit that I really love. The skirt is a simple black pencil, but the jacket is more on the modern/fashionable side. It is collarless, with gold buttons and very small gold accents at the waist. I think it looks classy, but don't want it to come across as flashy. From the sounds of it, what do you guys think?

Actually, I disagree. I think that a collarless jacket isn't very appropriate for an interview- you should be quite classic. A tighter-fitted jacket is fine, but I would personally go for a more traditional look.
 
I've owned this bag for about a year, and it's got some marks of natural leather wear (lighter marks like scratches). It's perfect for fitting everything into and fits perfectly over my shoulder. However, should I assume it will be too casual for interviews? (English Saddle Color)

https://www.madewell.com/madewell_category/BAGS/monogramit/PRDOVR~53228/53228.jsp?color_name=EnglishSaddle&TCode=MWGGBS00002_99102507384&sisearchengine=197&siproduct=53228&noPopUp=true&gclid=CjwKEAjw0ueeBRCmhozc-_DRrlUSJABihBEElKCTw1lvwgw1giHCeZO54na8nnpI-1z1urfjhzLgtxoCg37w_wcB

I have had my eye on that tote for ages.. that store is my favorite. I was thinking of getting it in the "dark cabernet" color with wine shoes with my navy suit! But still having trouble finding the shoes/bag at the moment after another unsuccessful mall trip haha
 
I have had my eye on that tote for ages.. that store is my favorite. I was thinking of getting it in the "dark cabernet" color with wine shoes with my navy suit! But still having trouble finding the shoes/bag at the moment after another unsuccessful mall trip haha

Remember that Madewell has a 15% student discount! 😉 I've owned a number of leather-goods from this store and they've held up wonderfully – definitely worth the price.
 
Why do women so often make their bodies sound 'worse' than they are!? You're slim - own it! And your suit sounds very nice. If your body type is decidedly 'non-Vegas' then you can pull off a little more 'flash' than a 'lingerie model' type women could get away with; and if your figure is more youthful, then a more sophisticated look might be a good thing. Just keep your blouse, jewelry and shoes low key and let your suit make your fashion statement.

Haha didn't mean to sound negative, but you make a good point!

Actually, I disagree. I think that a collarless jacket isn't very appropriate for an interview- you should be quite classic. A tighter-fitted jacket is fine, but I would personally go for a more traditional look.

Thanks for the feedback--I do see your point.

But with one yes and one no, I'm right back to where I started... anyone else care to weigh in?
 
I have had my eye on that tote for ages.. that store is my favorite. I was thinking of getting it in the "dark cabernet" color with wine shoes with my navy suit! But still having trouble finding the shoes/bag at the moment after another unsuccessful mall trip haha

I love it. So. much. I'm glad to hear it will be appropriate for interviews. I would never have splurged for it but it was a graduation gift and a wonderful one at that. I'm 99.9% sure you can order them online.
 
Haha didn't mean to sound negative, but you make a good point!
Thanks for the feedback--I do see your point.
But with one yes and one no, I'm right back to where I started... anyone else care to weigh in?

Any way you can post a picture or link?
 
Ladies, how do you feel about separates? I have some nice slim-leg ankle length dress pants and a black blazer that look good together (same black color but not part of the same suit).

How bad would it be if they were clearly not part of the same ensemble?

Edit: what shoe height is going beyond appropriate? I'm a 4'' heel walker - all the time. No foot fatigue for me in ages, even when standing all day. All I have are these sharp pointy toed shoes with icepick heels. What say you on this too?

Thank you!
 
Ladies, how do you feel about separates? I have some nice slim-leg ankle length dress pants and a black blazer that look good together (same black color but not part of the same suit).

How bad would it be if they were clearly not part of the same ensemble?

Too casual; as noted upstream, ankle length slim pants are too trendy and choosing separates which are "clearly" not part of a matched suit is typically a poor choice (on both fronts) for a conservative field like medicine.

Edit: what shoe height is going beyond appropriate? I'm a 4'' heel walker - all the time. No foot fatigue for me in ages, even when standing all day. All I have are these sharp pointy toed shoes with icepick heels. What say you on this too?

Thank you!

I'm with ya on the high heels - to the point that I roll my eyes when I hear women say, "I could never walk in those". It's not like my feet are built any differently...but I digress. 4 inch stilettos are simply too high and will be noted, and not in a good way. There are some out there that might think you silly, or vain, or unprofessional for wearing them to a medical school interview, even if all the evidence was to the contrary.

There are ways to stand out from the boring black suit, white button up blouse crowd but the above is not it, IMHO,
 
Too casual; as noted upstream, ankle length slim pants are too trendy and choosing separates which are "clearly" not part of a matched suit is typically a poor choice (on both fronts) for a conservative field like medicine.



I'm with ya on the high heels - to the point that I roll my eyes when I hear women say, "I could never walk in those". It's not like my feet are built any differently...but I digress. 4 inch stilettos are simply too high and will be noted, and not in a good way. There are some out there that might think you silly, or vain, or unprofessional for wearing them to a medical school interview, even if all the evidence was to the contrary.

There are ways to stand out from the boring black suit, white button up blouse crowd but the above is not it, IMHO,

Thank you for being so thorough with your response.

I wasn't looking to stand out, but clothing-wise that's all I've got. I wanted to see if I could go with what I have without spending unnecessarily. Looks like Nordstrom Rack, here I come!

And you're probably right- I took another look at my pants and they're a little too cutting edge for conservative interviews.
 
P.S

Which shoes would you recommend then? I have an insane amount of shoes and NONE fit that bill! :S
 
P.S again,

How do you feel about slingbacks? Too casual, I presume?

Also, are the shoes in the picture really so... Scandalous? They're my 4 inch patent fallback.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 253
P.S again,

How do you feel about slingbacks? Too casual, I presume?

Also, are the shoes in the picture really so... Scandalous? They're my 4 inch patent fallback.
Sling backs are too sexy actually.

Love yours BTW; the style is fine, you just need a lower heel. Some would suggest a more rounded toe but I don't think that's necessary.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does it matter how tall you are, as far as heels are concerned? Mine are like 3 inches I think, which would make me 5'5". Is that ok?


Posted using SDN Mobile
 
I don't think anyone will be measuring your heel height with a ruler as you step into the interview room. As long as you can walk confidently in heels, I'm not so sure a 4 incher will be an issue. I know what y'all say about modesty and conservatism, but I'm just not 100% convinced it matters all too much from the ankles down.

Now, your suit needs to fit well and be interview appropriate, but really, has anyone ever noticed your shoes*?

*And I don't mean the 5'' platform variety.

EDIT: although I will still get a 2-3'' pair. It's a lot of walking, I presume?
 
I have a question and I swear I'm not trying to sound snarky and insubordinate, but why is it so important to avoid looking "trendy"? I have other interests besides medicine, and one of them is fashion. I read this thread before I went suit shopping and bought a nice, conservative suit with standard width legs, although originally I wanted slim leg pants because I find them much more flattering and well...trendy.

I understand completely why we should look conservative and steer clear of more sexy things but why is it so important to avoid anything trendy? It's like being in high school and being judged for what you wear again, but in reverse.

And while I'm on this thread...is this tote interview appropriate? It's pretty big - how big is too big in terms of bags?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sdf0IMXc2wc/T9TfkHa4xOI/AAAAAAAABCY/oPT-ZPDR9h8/s1600/weekender+bags+longchamp+le+pliage+tote+khaki+carry+on+travel+bag.jpg
 
I don't think anyone will be measuring your heel height with a ruler as you step into the interview room. As long as you can walk confidently in heels, I'm not so sure a 4 incher will be an issue. I know what y'all say about modesty and conservatism, but I'm just not 100% convinced it matters all too much from the ankles down.

Now, your suit needs to fit well and be interview appropriate, but really, has anyone ever noticed your shoes*?

*And I don't mean the 5'' platform variety.

EDIT: although I will still get a 2-3'' pair. It's a lot of walking, I presume?
Yes they/we do notice shoes.

Obviously someone who can't walk in their heels is a problem and no, no one is going to be measuring, but 4" heels are possibly going to be seen as impractical, sexy and unprofessional. This is something that is controllable and it is obvious to anyone when a heel is very high (and this from someone who wears them every day I'm in the office).

But I suppose when you guys are insistent on carrying bags that look like black beach totes why would you care about the rest of your outfit and what faculty think?
 
I have a question and I swear I'm not trying to sound snarky and insubordinate, but why is it so important to avoid looking "trendy"? I have other interests besides medicine, and one of them is fashion. I read this thread before I went suit shopping and bought a nice, conservative suit with standard width legs, although originally I wanted slim leg pants because I find them much more flattering and well...trendy.

I understand completely why we should look conservative and steer clear of more sexy things but why is it so important to avoid anything trendy? It's like being in high school and being judged for what you wear again, but in reverse.

And while I'm on this thread...is this tote interview appropriate? It's pretty big - how big is too big in terms of bags?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sdf0IMXc2wc/T9TfkHa4xOI/AAAAAAAABCY/oPT-ZPDR9h8/s1600/weekender bags longchamp le pliage tote khaki carry on travel bag.jpg
Because you want the focus to be on you and your academic accomplishments. While it seems old school, women have enough difficulties in medicine without being seen as "too interested" in fashion and not enough on academics. Besides, it's not just medicine that's this way: include politics, law, etc. Also slim leg trousers hug your body too much and the focus is on that, rather than the rest of you.

I think I've said enough on the penchant for applicants to be carrying what appears to be a beach bag.
 
Yes they/we do notice shoes.

Obviously someone who can't walk in their heels is a problem and no, no one is going to be measuring, but 4" heels are possibly going to be seen as impractical, sexy and unprofessional. This is something that is controllable and it is obvious to anyone when a heel is very high (and this from someone who wears them every day I'm in the office).

But I suppose when you guys are insistent on carrying bags that look like black beach totes why would you care about the rest of your outfit and what faculty think?

No, I'm 100% with you, and LOL at the bold part. I've seen some scandalous beach tote lookalikes here - folks shoes and bags make or break the outfit.
 
Because you want the focus to be on you and your academic accomplishments. While it seems old school, women have enough difficulties in medicine without being seen as "too interested" in fashion and not enough on academics. Besides, it's not just medicine that's this way: include politics, law, etc. Also slim leg trousers hug your body too much and the focus is on that, rather than the rest of you.

I think I've said enough on the penchant for applicants to be carrying what appears to be a beach bag.

Fair enough, I just think it's sad that it has to be that way. lol I'll consider bringing a different bag.
 
Fair enough, I just think it's sad that it has to be that way. lol I'll consider bringing a different bag.
I don't make the rules. But life has rules; some fair, some not. I'm tempted to say something about "is this a Millenial Gen" thing but I won't. 😉

There's nothing stopping you from dressing how you want when you get in. It also happens in reverse; my cousin the stylist is always giving her mother and I trouble for our Ann Taylor (me) and Talbots (mother) outfits because they are "too corporate". We remind her that we aren't in London (where she lives now) or Manhattan working at a design house (as she used to) and that what flies in a creative field, doesn't necessarily do in our field.

Yeah, and that bag you linked: no on many levels.
 
I don't make the rules. But life has rules; some fair, some not. I'm tempted to say something about "is this a Millenial Gen" thing but I won't. 😉

There's nothing stopping you from dressing how you want when you get in. It also happens in reverse; my cousin the stylist is always giving her mother and I trouble for our Ann Taylor (me) and Talbots (mother) outfits because they are "too corporate". We remind her that we aren't in London (where she lives now) or Manhattan working at a design house (as she used to) and that what flies in a creative field, doesn't necessarily do in our field.

Yeah, and that bag you linked: no on many levels.
Dang, right to the kneecaps. Haha just kidding, I appreciate your input! I already own that bag and that brand (Longchamp) is really popular around here - maybe it's a regional thing. I think my mom has a nice plain leather tote that I can borrow though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dang, right to the kneecaps. Haha just kidding, I appreciate your input! I already own that bag and that brand (Longchamp) is really popular around here - maybe it's a regional thing. I think my mom has a nice plain leather tote that I can borrow though.
I'm familiar with Longchamp - it's popularity may be a regional thing but my objections are:

The tote shape is too casual, after all "Le Pliage" is only one letter off from meaning "beach". LOL

The color (of the one you linked); it should be dark

The fabric; it should be leather

At any rate, not meaning to be personally insulting but I figure if you're asking for advice you might actually want it!
 
I'm familiar with Longchamp - it's popularity may be a regional thing but my objections are:

The tote shape is too casual, after all "Le Pliage" is only one letter off from meaning "beach". LOL

The color (of the one you linked); it should be dark

The fabric; it should be leather

At any rate, not meaning to be personally insulting but I figure if you're asking for advice you might actually want it!

Got it - I think I may have something that will work. Thanks!
 

It looks like that blazer is missing its collar.
Not that I'm against any collar-less jacket -- just that that one looks like it's supposed to have a collar but just - doesn't. 😵 I wouldn't say it's inappropriate" but I think you can do better -- (Sorry)
 

Yes - that's much more like it. If you really want, you could go a bit further afield, but this one is very appropriate.

Curious - @Winged Scapula - What do you think of this one? I'd like it better in navy, but I'm kind of liking it...
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...NT_TYPE=Suits&sp=1&spc=168&ruleId=65&slotId=4
 
Yes - that's much more like it. If you really want, you could go a bit further afield, but this one is very appropriate.

Curious - @Winged Scapula - What do you think of this one? I'd like it better in navy, but I'm kind of liking it...
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-seamed-long-jacket-belted-sheath-dress?ID=1629543&CategoryID=39096#fn=DEPARTMENT_TYPE=Suits&sp=1&spc=168&ruleId=65&slotId=4
Hmmm…the link takes me to Macy's Home Page. Perhaps its because I'm out of the country?

If I search I see a very cute coat with a sheath dress in Camel by Anne Klein; the skirts a tad short but I always assume the models are very tall and that it would be longer on the average woman. Anyway, I like it too, if it came in navy or even a dark charcoal would be nice. I'd probably switch out the matching belt for something a little different, perhaps patterned or faux animal skin.
 
Hmmm…the link takes me to Macy's Home Page. Perhaps its because I'm out of the country?

If I search I see a very cute coat with a sheath dress in Camel by Anne Klein; the skirts a tad short but I always assume the models are very tall and that it would be longer on the average woman. Anyway, I like it too, if it came in navy or even a dark charcoal would be nice. I'd probably switch out the matching belt for something a little different, perhaps patterned or faux animal skin.
Took me to the home page as well. And I'm in the country 😛
 
I see lots of suggestions for what type of tote to bring, but would anyone argue that going tote-less it better? In job interviews I have always just brought a leather portfolio with copies of my resume, notes, clean paper, and two nice pens. I tuck my ID and key into an internal pocket of the portfolio (or in a clothing pocket if I have an inconspicuous one). Would leaving my tote at home for a medical school interview make me look efficient and low maintenance, or ill-prepared and arrogant?

Do men generally carry briefcases to interviews?
 
Hmmm…the link takes me to Macy's Home Page. Perhaps its because I'm out of the country?

If I search I see a very cute coat with a sheath dress in Camel by Anne Klein; the skirts a tad short but I always assume the models are very tall and that it would be longer on the average woman. Anyway, I like it too, if it came in navy or even a dark charcoal would be nice. I'd probably switch out the matching belt for something a little different, perhaps patterned or faux animal skin.

That is the outfit I was talking about. If I could wear camel, I might go for that myself... But as a very pale blond of the 'not tawny' variety, that color does horrible things to my complexion.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...nne klein seamed long jacket web id: 1593581
 
I see lots of suggestions for what type of tote to bring, but would anyone argue that going tote-less it better? In job interviews I have always just brought a leather portfolio with copies of my resume, notes, clean paper, and two nice pens. I tuck my ID and key into an internal pocket of the portfolio (or in a clothing pocket if I have an inconspicuous one). Would leaving my tote at home for a medical school interview make me look efficient and low maintenance, or ill-prepared and arrogant?

Do men generally carry briefcases to interviews?

I don't see how it would be interpreted as arrogant, and certainly not ill-prepared if you're able to carry everything you need. Will you also carry a handbag or purse?
 
I don't see how it would be interpreted as arrogant, and certainly not ill-prepared if you're able to carry everything you need. Will you also carry a handbag or purse?

I do not intend to. The goal is to present that I am highly efficient and well organized.

I guess a good follow up question would be: If you are bringing a tote on interview day, what items are you going to put in it?
 
I do not intend to. The goal is to present that I am highly efficient and well organized.

I guess a good follow up question would be: If you are bringing a tote on interview day, what items are you going to put in it?

I feel most comfortable when I am fully (read: overly) prepared. I will likely bring at least the following: copies of primary and secondary applications, something to take notes on and a pen or three, extra pair of hose, breath mints, chapstick, bandaids, aspirin, allergy medication, phone (off or silent), wallet, ID, passport (just in case), keys, water bottle, granola bar (most places seem to have late lunches and I will likely be too nervous to eat much breakfast), and tissues.
 
That is the outfit I was talking about. If I could wear camel, I might go for that myself... But as a very pale blond of the 'not tawny' variety, that color does horrible things to my complexion.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-seamed-long-jacket?ID=1593581&CategoryID=120&cm_kws=anne klein seamed long jacket web id: 1593581
I understand - I can't wear camel well myself unless tanned. I still can't see it via the link you've provided but I can search for Anne Klein Seamed Long Jacket and see it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see lots of suggestions for what type of tote to bring, but would anyone argue that going tote-less it better? In job interviews I have always just brought a leather portfolio with copies of my resume, notes, clean paper, and two nice pens. I tuck my ID and key into an internal pocket of the portfolio (or in a clothing pocket if I have an inconspicuous one). Would leaving my tote at home for a medical school interview make me look efficient and low maintenance, or ill-prepared and arrogant?

Do men generally carry briefcases to interviews?

I'd argue that a "tote" is inappropriate and unprofessional but my thoughts on the subject seem to fall on deaf ears here LOL.

Men most definitely do not bring briefcases (or at the least it would looked askance at).

A leather portfolio is fine but it does not send any more of a "message" than anything else. If you bring a portfolio and then have no where to carry anything else it might look unwieldily, but I agree with you, you really don't need all the things others are planning on bringing (a passport and other ID? Really?) although a second pair of hose is a good idea. Back in the day (before everyone had cell phones), it was commonplace. Now I'd recommend a structured purse which should have plenty of room for your resume, some pens, ID, extra hose etc.
 
I was getting nervous when I saw they were labeled "totes" (is that the new phrase for purse because in my day a "tote" was something very large you took to the beach or the grocery store): but these are fine. The Giani Bernini would be my favorite.

As for a briefcase, I think its too large and unnecessary for interview purposes.

In my defense, some of the totes your colleagues have been posting do look like beach bags or are ridiculously large.
 
I was getting nervous when I saw they were labeled "totes" (is that the new phrase for purse because in my day a "tote" was something very large you took to the beach or the grocery store): but these are fine. The Giani Bernini would be my favorite.

As for a briefcase, I think its too large and unnecessary for interview purposes.

In my defense, some of the totes your colleagues have been posting do look like beach bags or are ridiculously large.

LOL. I got scared as soon as I saw your post right after mine on your feelings towards tote bags. Thank you so much for your feedback!
 
I'd argue that a "tote" is inappropriate and unprofessional but my thoughts on the subject seem to fall on deaf ears here LOL.

Men most definitely do not bring briefcases (or at the least it would looked askance at).

A leather portfolio is fine but it does not send any more of a "message" than anything else. If you bring a portfolio and then have no wear to carry anything else it might look unwieldily, but I agree with you, you really don't need all the things others are planning on bringing (a passport and other ID? Really?) although a second pair of hose is a good idea. Back in the day (before everyone had cell phones), it was commonplace. Now I'd recommend a structured purse which should have plenty of room for your resume, some pens, ID, extra hose etc.

I'm going to agree with @Winged Scapula that many of these 'Totes' are way larger than they probably need to be. To my way of thinking, a tote is a substitute for a purse, and what you'd bring if you want a leather portfolio for your papers plus an ipad, extra hose, make-up, flat shoes, etc. Either way, I'd keep it as 'small and neat' as possible. Too large and (in my opinion) you risk looking high-maintenance (how much make-up does she need to get through the day?) disorganized or neurotic (what's she got in there?).

I've got a half-sized portfolio (designed for a 5x8" notepad) along the lines of this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Royce-Leather...78&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=padfolio+small+5x8
that works really well and fits in many mid-to-large purses. This size comfortably holds letter-sized documents (folded once) and allows for comfortable note-taking. Most newer ones hold iPads or tablets, some also with paper note pads.

Something to consider anyway...