Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to agree with @Winged Scapula that many of these 'Totes' are way larger than they probably need to be. To my way of thinking, a tote is a substitute for a purse, and what you'd bring if you want a leather portfolio for your papers plus an ipad, extra hose, make-up, flat shoes, etc. Either way, I'd keep it as 'small and neat' as possible. Too large and (in my opinion) you risk looking high-maintenance (how much make-up does she need to get through the day?) disorganized or neurotic (what's she got in there?).

Exactly.

Americans are actually made fun of abroad for our tendency to bring "everything and the kitchen sink" when we go out. Europeans and Australians love to make fun of our ubiquitous water bottles and snacks, as if we live in a society where such things aren't readily available.

@DokterMom is absolutely correct. A large tote/purse (whatever we're calling it these days) is not necessary and makes faculty wonder what you need to carry around and just how high maintenance are you. Remember most faculty are men and don't understand the utility of the purse and I would agree (despite being quite the shoe and bag maven), that most of you are planning on carrying WAY too much stuff. Even if your tote isn't filled to the brim, it gives off the impression that you need to bring a suitcase wherever you go.

You don't need:

your cell phone (are you going to be the one that forgets to turn it off and gets embarrassed when it rings and the dulcet tones of Iggy Azalea fills the room?); leave it in the car, your hotel room etc.

your wallet; or at least not the full size wallet most women carry. Just bring a photo ID, maybe a couple of dollars

food

full size portfolio

more than 2 pens (and that's just in case 1 breaks, even though the program will have pens for you)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since the purse/tote thing is being so hotly debated right now... would these be too big? It was hard finding anything smaller than this that could still fit a portfolio.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34669616&parentPage=family

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/fossil-sydney-leather-shopper?ID=883450&pla_country=US&cm_mmc=GOOGLE_Handbags_Geo_PLA-_-Handbags_Brands_Fossil_PLA_Fossil_PLA-_-31751954500_-_-_mkwid_w1UVRSix|dc_31751954500|-|w1UVRSix

I liked the second for price/use in day-to-day life, but I was leaning towards the first because it looked more professional

Do you want to spend that kind of money? I've seen lots of good-looking, appropriate bags on Amazon for far less -- like $50. For items I use all the time, I'm a 'good leather' junkie, but for items you won't use often, imitation leather is plenty good enough --
 
Since the purse/tote thing is being so hotly debated right now... would these be too big? It was hard finding anything smaller than this that could still fit a portfolio.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34669616&parentPage=family

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/fossil-sydney-leather-shopper?ID=883450&pla_country=US&cm_mmc=GOOGLE_Handbags_Geo_PLA-_-Handbags_Brands_Fossil_PLA_Fossil_PLA-_-31751954500_-_-_mkwid_w1UVRSix|dc_31751954500|-|w1UVRSix

I liked the second for price/use in day-to-day life, but I was leaning towards the first because it looked more professional
I like the first one and the size is fine; the second has more of a "tote" shape, so I am less inclined to like it. 😛

As @DokterMom notes, they are pretty pricey; if you're on a student budget and don't think you will use it much, you could find something similar for cheaper.
 
Shoe crisis averted. How does this look to your eagle eyes, ladies? The heels are 2.5 inches high, and the material is suede.

JIM22740_1_enlarged.jpg
 
Lol - I saw you're from Arizona; all your moisture is stuck in the air. I've heard you guys steam in the summer.
No, its quite the opposite - a very dry heat until "Monsoon" season (what everyone else calls thunderstorms) which is at its peak in mid August.

The average humidity in PHX in August is about 35 percent; this is compared to say Houston which is 70%.

Most of the year our humidity runs in the high teens, low 20s.

Apparently it does rain about 30 days per year, but its rare enough that the traffic comes to a standstill, wipers are stuck to the windshield and people freak out and start driving like they're in some freaking apocalypse. The dust storms ("Haboobs") are worse because of the poor visibility and everything gets, well, dusty.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First post! Hoping for some help. I've seen comments that suits should be black, gray, or navy. What about a dark brown? Is that out? http://www.dillards.com/product/Ale...?df=04339318_zi&categoryId=660692&scrollTop=0

I like the look of that suit -- Just different enough to be noticed, but not in a bad way. Assuming brown is a good color on you, of course, and that you introduce some color into your outfit somewhere - like the shell the model is wearing.

On closer reading though, it says the fabric is "machine washable" -- that's certainly not typical and may not be a good sign. Please don't buy this sight unseen, because the quality of fabric in your suit is really an important element, and most machine washable fabrics won't be up to that standard.
 

Sorry - Can't tell which outfits you're referring to from the link... In general having top and bottom not match is less professional, but I wouldn't say it couldn't be done categorically.
 
I couldn't find a definitive answer on this - is it okay to not wear nail polish at all? I scheduled 2 of my interviews on back-to-back days so I'm worried about nail polish chipping and not being able to fix it if I wear it! If nail polish is expected, what color? What would be better: clear nail polish or a pale pink?

Thanks!
 
I couldn't find a definitive answer on this - is it okay to not wear nail polish at all? I scheduled 2 of my interviews on back-to-back days so I'm worried about nail polish chipping and not being able to fix it if I wear it! If nail polish is expected, what color? What would be better: clear nail polish or a pale pink?

Either clear or pale pink is fine. French nails also, though those can look a little high maintenance. Anything else would be inadvisable. Really long nails would also be a mistake.

Sorry for the double post, but I think this got missed. Can we wear a printed blouse or does it need to be a single color?

Sorry - not loving that blouse... I think it's a bit too bright and the neckline seems to have trouble deciding what it wants to be. I wouldn't automatically rule out all prints, but that one's got a lot going on.
 
Sorry - Can't tell which outfits you're referring to from the link... In general having top and bottom not match is less professional, but I wouldn't say it couldn't be done categorically.
Sorry, not sure what happened. Every time I copy and paste a link it just goes straight to the macy's site. Sorry!
 
Last edited:

If it's this one, I wouldn't do it because the color's too light in color; fabric too light-weight also, I think. In a somewhat darker color, it could go over a black sheath dress and work.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...0808&CategoryID=120&cm_kws=ann blazer 1500808

The other blazer could work over a simple sheath dress. As shown though (blazer, skirt & blouse) - my opinion is that it's right on the line of appropriate vs. too casual. It's great for general business wear, but for an important interview, a touch casual. A dressier silk blouse could probably tip it over the line into 'fine' though.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...544&CategoryID=39096&cm_kws=ann klein 1629544
 
If it's this one, I wouldn't do it because the color's too light in color; fabric too light-weight also, I think. In a somewhat darker color, it could go over a black sheath dress and work.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-single-button-contrast-trim-blazer?ID=1500808&CategoryID=120&cm_kws=ann blazer 1500808

The other blazer could work over a simple sheath dress. As shown though (blazer, skirt & blouse) - my opinion is that it's right on the line of appropriate vs. too casual. It's great for general business wear, but for an important interview, a touch casual. A dressier silk blouse could probably tip it over the line into 'fine' though.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/anne-klein-textured-blazer-tie-front-blouse-pencil-skirt?ID=1629544&CategoryID=39096&cm_kws=ann klein 1629544
You are awesome! Thank you.
 
I couldn't find a definitive answer on this - is it okay to not wear nail polish at all? I scheduled 2 of my interviews on back-to-back days so I'm worried about nail polish chipping and not being able to fix it if I wear it! If nail polish is expected, what color? What would be better: clear nail polish or a pale pink?

Thanks!
Im not sure that polish it at all necessary. In fact, if you just want to get one of those shine/buffers that would be fine. Agree with @DokterMom that anything "fancy": too long, alternating colors, nail art, etc. is verboten.
 
just wondering--is it better to wear a skirt with the jacket or pants? I got my suit with both the matching skirt and pants to switch it up (and to have pants if it was freezing), but my first interview is in late september.
 
just wondering--is it better to wear a skirt with the jacket or pants? I got my suit with both the matching skirt and pants to switch it up (and to have pants if it was freezing), but my first interview is in late september.
I'd say go with whatever makes you more comfortable. I'm buying a skirt suit in addition to pantsuit, just like you (I really wanted pants only, but I think a skirt might be more weather appropriate in early September in VA).

Clothing needs to be comfortable when you're spending 9+ hours in them.
 
I like the look of that suit -- Just different enough to be noticed, but not in a bad way. Assuming brown is a good color on you, of course, and that you introduce some color into your outfit somewhere - like the shell the model is wearing.

On closer reading though, it says the fabric is "machine washable" -- that's certainly not typical and may not be a good sign. Please don't buy this sight unseen, because the quality of fabric in your suit is really an important element, and most machine washable fabrics won't be up to that standard.

Thanks! I checked the suit out in the store, and I think the fabric is nice, I wouldn't have known it was machine washable if I hadn't seen that on the website. It's almost more of a gray brown, rather than a brown brown. I am also thinking about just going traditional with a black suit.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question. The saleswoman at Banana Republic and mom both assured me I could leave my jacket open (having buttoning issues, ahem). It looked really unprofessional to me. Is that actually an option, or should the jacket be buttoned during the interview?

The reason I'm asking is because buying a larger size and getting alterations may take more time than I have.
 
Question ladies (I know it's been answered around here before, but I hope someone will tell what I want to hear 😉):

I decided to go with a skirt suit, and I'd like to have your opinion on hose. I personally think they're antiquated and fugly, but are they a must? Thank you!
 
So, I got my suit a couple weeks ago at the Nordstrom Half-Yearly sale. I got a suit jacket and pants (links below) in black, although I had originally wanted charcoal.
Pants:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-new-taylor-pants-petite/3440768?origin=category

Jacket:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-ela-suit-jacket-regular-petite/3602551?origin=category

As far as the shell underneath (definitely not the one in the picture with the jacket...) I was considering wearing a turquoise shell underneath the buttoned jacket. Turquoise is a color I wear well and I wanted to avoid the white on black. Another option is a burgandy shell I have.

Are shirts with rouched, swooped fronts verboten? I don't know the technical term for it, but a light swoop throughout the front of the shirt starting with the collar?

Shoes. This is the bane of my existence. I have a skirt I could wear with it, but I want shoes with ankle straps so that I feel more confident walking in them. Anyhow, I believe I'll end up wearing pants, but what is the highest heel height I can get away with? Shoes with lower heels are harder for me to walk in, and my heels slip out so badly unless I'm wearing ankle straps. Would one of these work?
http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-galleryy-black-leather
http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/women/shoes/high-heels/30530264-ocaria/92

I really appreciate any feedback!
 
So, I got my suit a couple weeks ago at the Nordstrom Half-Yearly sale. I got a suit jacket and pants (links below) in black, although I had originally wanted charcoal.
Pants:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-new-taylor-pants-petite/3440768?origin=category

Jacket:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-ela-suit-jacket-regular-petite/3602551?origin=category

As far as the shell underneath (definitely not the one in the picture with the jacket...) I was considering wearing a turquoise shell underneath the buttoned jacket. Turquoise is a color I wear well and I wanted to avoid the white on black. Another option is a burgandy shell I have.

Are shirts with rouched, swooped fronts verboten? I don't know the technical term for it, but a light swoop throughout the front of the shirt starting with the collar?

Shoes. This is the bane of my existence. I have a skirt I could wear with it, but I want shoes with ankle straps so that I feel more confident walking in them. Anyhow, I believe I'll end up wearing pants, but what is the highest heel height I can get away with? Shoes with lower heels are harder for me to walk in, and my heels slip out so badly unless I'm wearing ankle straps. Would one of these work?
http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-galleryy-black-leather
http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/women/shoes/high-heels/30530264-ocaria/92

I really appreciate any feedback!
I want to know the answer to the "swooping" shirts question too! Both tops I'm considering are like this, but I was a bit worried they were too suggestive or something.
 
Question ladies (I know it's been answered around here before, but I hope someone will tell what I want to hear 😉):

I decided to go with a skirt suit, and I'd like to have your opinion on hose. I personally think they're antiquated and fugly, but are they a must? Thank you!

I hate hose too, but they are most definitely a necessity in this case. Get ones that match your skin tone.

Good luck with your interviews!
 
Question ladies (I know it's been answered around here before, but I hope someone will tell what I want to hear 😉):

I decided to go with a skirt suit, and I'd like to have your opinion on hose. I personally think they're antiquated and fugly, but are they a must? Thank you!
Sorry, we are not going to tell you what you want to hear.

You must wear hose.

Besides, there's been a resurgence what with Princess Kate wearing them; they may be de rigueur again soon.
 
Question. The saleswoman at Banana Republic and mom both assured me I could leave my jacket open (having buttoning issues, ahem). It looked really unprofessional to me. Is that actually an option, or should the jacket be buttoned during the interview?

The reason I'm asking is because buying a larger size and getting alterations may take more time than I have.
Jackets are to be buttoned when standing, and unbuttoned when sitting. Some have been taught the slick move of shaking hands with one hand and unbuttoning with the other.

The last button is always left unbuttoned. It has been said that the trend started with King Edward VII who was too fat to button the bottom button on his vest; the tradition remains today.

If you don't have time to have it appropriately altered (although check out some independent tailors, if its an easy fix, sometimes they can get it back to you within a couple of days), then so be it, leave it open.
 
just wondering--is it better to wear a skirt with the jacket or pants? I got my suit with both the matching skirt and pants to switch it up (and to have pants if it was freezing), but my first interview is in late september.
Either one is acceptable now.

For the most conservative fields, a skirt suit is always appropriate and you can't really go wrong with it (but please do not wear ugly flats with your skirt). You will find that most of your colleagues will be wearing pant suits and its much more acceptable these days, so wear what you feel most comfortable and best looking in.
 
So, I got my suit a couple weeks ago at the Nordstrom Half-Yearly sale. I got a suit jacket and pants (links below) in black, although I had originally wanted charcoal.
Pants:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-new-taylor-pants-petite/3440768?origin=category

Good choice - just please wear them a tad longer than what they are showing; it also looks like they hemmed her pants with masking tape (the hem crease looks a bit "bulky").

As far as the shell underneath (definitely not the one in the picture with the jacket...) I was considering wearing a turquoise shell underneath the buttoned jacket. Turquoise is a color I wear well and I wanted to avoid the white on black. Another option is a burgandy shell I have.

A bright color is nice and you'll stand out (in a good way) from your fellow interviewees.

Are shirts with rouched, swooped fronts verboten? I don't know the technical term for it, but a light swoop throughout the front of the shirt starting with the collar?

I assume you are talking about a surplice neck. They are not verboten but you have to be awfully careful that they don't fall open or reveal too much boobage. They can be terribly flattering when worn the right way.

Shoes. This is the bane of my existence. I have a skirt I could wear with it, but I want shoes with ankle straps so that I feel more confident walking in them. Anyhow, I believe I'll end up wearing pants, but what is the highest heel height I can get away with? Shoes with lower heels are harder for me to walk in, and my heels slip out so badly unless I'm wearing ankle straps. Would one of these work?
http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-galleryy-black-leather
http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/women/shoes/high-heels/30530264-ocaria/92

I really appreciate any feedback!

Ankle straps tend to be seen as "sexy" so I would stay away from them in general especially with a higher heel height.

If your heels are slipping out, you aren't wearing the correct size. Perhaps you need a narrow (I have the same problem); they also make inserts which you can put back there to keeps your feet in. Finally, heel height is up to your discretion but I'd say that 4 inches is too high as it runs the risk of "sexy" again or at best, impractical. I'd put the limit for interviews at 3 inches.
 
Are shirts with rouched, swooped fronts verboten? I don't know the technical term for it, but a light swoop throughout the front of the shirt starting with the collar?

Shoes. This is the bane of my existence. I have a skirt I could wear with it, but I want shoes with ankle straps so that I feel more confident walking in them. Anyhow, I believe I'll end up wearing pants, but what is the highest heel height I can get away with? Shoes with lower heels are harder for me to walk in, and my heels slip out so badly unless I'm wearing ankle straps. Would one of these work?
http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-galleryy-black-leather
http://www.aldoshoes.com/ca-eng/women/shoes/high-heels/30530264-ocaria/92

Any chance you can post a picture of the type of shirt you're talking about? Most likely answer is that it depends on how low the neckline is, the neckline of your jacket, and how busty you are.

Those shoes are a tad too high (unless you've got very large feet, which would change the proportions). Sexy vs. professional - sorry.

And yes, hose are necessary. Very sheer, skin tone.
 
I'm sure this has already been answered in this thread, but is naturally curly hair generally a no go? I never straighten my curls but I always seem to get the vibe that some people find """"unruly"""" curls unprofessional. While I find my curls to be beautiful, I understand that this is not accepted as a universal truth.
Should I bite the bullet and flat iron/ put it up in a bun? Ponytails tend to make me feel like I'm straight out of an 80's/90's exercise video.
 
I'm sure this has already been answered in this thread, but is naturally curly hair generally a no go? I never straighten my curls but I always seem to get the vibe that some people find """"unruly"""" curls unprofessional. While I find my curls to be beautiful, I understand that this is not accepted as a universal truth.
Should I bite the bullet and flat iron/ put it up in a bun? Ponytails tend to make me feel like I'm straight out of an 80's/90's exercise video.
Unruly or curly? There's a difference.

If your hair is unruly and makes you look harried (at best) or unkempt (at worst), that's a problem. If it's just curly but can be controlled, then that's fine.
 
Can anyone recommend a brand of pantyhose? Not too sheer, but not your grandmother's support hose? I have a very fair complexion, and my legs are very pale. The Hanes silky sheer I used to love and wear in the years I had a job that necessitated them seem too sheer nowadays!
 
Any chance you can post a picture of the type of shirt you're talking about? Most likely answer is that it depends on how low the neckline is, the neckline of your jacket, and how busty you are.

Those shoes are a tad too high (unless you've got very large feet, which would change the proportions). Sexy vs. professional - sorry.

And yes, hose are necessary. Very sheer, skin tone.

Question on hose: should it be worn underneath slacks as well?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Damn! I just went and bought black panty hose from Macy's :/! Is it okay to wear it with a black suit? Or should I exchange it for a nude one? Is it really such a big deal to wear the nude one? I want to wear the black one since it will make me look slimmer lol.
 
I need an opinion on this jacket!

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=170&pageId=1&productId=570113681&viewAll=&prd=Drape Knit Black Jacket&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=6&catId=cat6219285&cat=Workkit&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=11&size=

It looks good with a skirt, but it might be a little too informal?? It doesn't button, either - only a clasp. Should I just stick with a typical button blazer instead?
No, it misses the mark on several points:

1) sleeves not full length
2) jacket too short
3) peplum in back
4) knit fabric

Its cute but too "fashiony" for your interview.