You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It matters not what your fellow interviewees were wearing but rather what those interviewing you think. I can guarantee you that none of them thought you were out of style or dressed like an old lady simply by wearing hose.
The reason threads like this exist is that there is a large contingent of young women who have no idea what professional dress is and have no one in their family or social circle to turn to. I suspect that your fellow interviewees were ill advised.
As for the hair, I've stated before that I no longer feel that it needed to be worn up. I think that is one rule that no longer holds fast.
The same applied for men.
The winner was a gentleman who wore a vibrant blue skinny-suit with a comically wide tie. It was very "high fashion," but not "medical school interview."
That's all on the fashion front. Everyone (including myself) looked like nervous twenty-somethings in brand-new suits. 😉 That helped take the pressure off a lot of things.
This is exactly what I'm trying to get people to avoid in the mens interview thread.
Hmm...
I will be wearing small heels, probably in a feminine Oxford style. I chose a dark navy pantsuit that fits well.... Chose a subtle teal silk button up shirt. Planning on no nail polish, but making sure to clean up my nails of course.
Hair will be in a low ponytail either bangs secured back.
Back to the tote controversy... I got a very nice looking tote, but I'm planning to use it as an overnight bag. What's the consensus on carrying a portfolio or small purse?
I will be wearing small heels, probably in a feminine Oxford style. I chose a dark navy pantsuit that fits well.... Chose a subtle teal silk button up shirt. Planning on no nail polish, but making sure to clean up my nails of course.
Hair will be in a low ponytail either bangs secured back.
Back to the tote controversy... I got a very nice looking tote, but I'm planning to use it as an overnight bag. What's the consensus on carrying a portfolio or small purse?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just want to give a heads up to us girls heading out to the first interviews - it's wise to have a spare outfit in hand, even if it's just a different shirt or dress for under the jacket. In case something spills or rips, you don't want to be thinking about where to buy an appropriate replacement at 7:30 AM the morning of the interview.
What's the consensus on carrying a portfolio or small purse?
Either one is fine as long as the portfolio is the only thing you carry (ie, you aren't balancing your keys, cell phone, credit card, etc. in your other hand).
![]()
![]()
Thoughts on these two dresses please? Of course I would pick more sensible shoes...lol
I like them both although my preference is for the first. I am assuming you will be pairing them with a jacket.
My only concern is that it is a *lot* of black. You might consider a colorful scarf or modest necklace to break up that monotone. If you choose the second, perhaps a belt with a nice contrasting color.
Oh yes, absolutely. I have Banana's wrap dress in every color they make - it fits well, its flattering, easy to tighten (or loosen) with weight fluctuations, is comfortable and most importantly, easy to put on in the am when rushed. I have 2 each of the black and the fuschia because I love them so and know I'll wear then over and over. Same for some of AT's Modern and City fit trousers - several pairs in black and grey.I do that sometimes on purpose, sometimes not even in different sizes or colors. Some items (ex. the perfect black slacks) are just so unusually good that you know you'll wear them out before you stop loving them.
Who says I return them? 😛I was just going to ask if there were times you bought a dress and then went to your closet realizing you had already bought it a long time ago. lol. Reason for return on receipt: I already bought it.
My best friend and I wear the same size, although she wears usually needs petites, but she will usually get my castoff duplicates (assuming she doesn't already own it as well).
Oh no! Please tell me that's not from personal experience. My condolences. 🙁Just want to give a heads up to us girls heading out to the first interviews - it's wise to have a spare outfit in hand, even if it's just a different shirt or dress for under the jacket. In case something spills or rips, you don't want to be thinking about where to buy an appropriate replacement at 7:30 AM the morning of the interview.
Oh no! Please tell me that's not from personal experience. My condolences. 🙁
Haha, thankfully no. But that has happened to me in another setting - not for something as serious as a med interview, but I learned my lesson.
Thank you for your feedback! That's a good point about the all black. I'll think about switching it up 🙂I like them both although my preference is for the first. I am assuming you will be pairing them with a jacket.
My only concern is that it is a *lot* of black. You might consider a colorful scarf or modest necklace to break up that monotone. If you choose the second, perhaps a belt with a nice contrasting color.
http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp...womens-apparel/wa-work/cowl-neck-sheath-dress Think the cowl neck will be fussy under a jacket?
http://www.calvinklein.com/shop/en/ck/womens-dresses/18804121?Color=EVERGREEN And what about this? Though possibly in blue.
http://www.calvinklein.com/shop/en/ck/womens-dresses/18804121?Color=EVERGREEN And what about this? Though possibly in blue.
so for a dark navy suit, what color shoe would be best?
Cordovan is classic but black is acceptable.so for a dark navy suit, what color shoe would be best?
I think that cowl might be difficult to get to lay flat under a suit jacket. I prefer the second one.http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp...womens-apparel/wa-work/cowl-neck-sheath-dress Think the cowl neck will be fussy under a jacket?
http://www.calvinklein.com/shop/en/ck/womens-dresses/18804121?Color=EVERGREEN And what about this? Though possibly in blue.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, just trying to get one thing straight -- because I haven't seen anyone state it outright during my (admittedly cursory) skim through the thread, and because I'm having trouble trusting my eyes after 3984723497034 online "guides" telling me to look as matronly as possible:
1. We can wear colors that are not black and navy? What other colors?
2. It is not at all risky to wear a dress+jacket rather than a jacket/collared white shirt + knee-length skirt/pant?
And another question:
3. Any recommended materials? Or fabrics (materials-wise) that are no-nos? So like obviously not bringing the leather jacket, but what about wool? Silk/satin/cashmere too much? I have some nice cashmere sweaters that I always thought were fairly formal, but I'm CA, where formal tends to be more forgiving, I'm told....
Thanks in advance for the fairly-desperately-needed help.
1. We can wear colors that are not black and navy? What other colors?
2. It is not at all risky to wear a dress+jacket rather than a jacket/collared white shirt + knee-length skirt/pant?
And another question:
3. Any recommended materials? Or fabrics (materials-wise) that are no-nos? So like obviously not bringing the leather jacket, but what about wool? Silk/satin/cashmere too much? I have some nice cashmere sweaters that I always thought were fairly formal, but I'm CA, where formal tends to be more forgiving, I'm told....
Thanks in advance for the fairly-desperately-needed help.
Okay, just trying to get one thing straight -- because I haven't seen anyone state it outright during my (admittedly cursory) skim through the thread, and because I'm having trouble trusting my eyes after 3984723497034 online "guides" telling me to look as matronly as possible:
1. We can wear colors that are not black and navy? What other colors?
2. It is not at all risky to wear a dress+jacket rather than a jacket/collared white shirt + knee-length skirt/pant?
And another question:
3. Any recommended materials? Or fabrics (materials-wise) that are no-nos? So like obviously not bringing the leather jacket, but what about wool? Silk/satin/cashmere too much? I have some nice cashmere sweaters that I always thought were fairly formal, but I'm CA, where formal tends to be more forgiving, I'm told....
Thanks in advance for the fairly-desperately-needed help.
1) I think you can wear other colors, such as grey especially if it works for you, but make sure to keep it tasteful and professional.
2) Not really sure about wearing dresses + jacket so I went with pantsuit (I really like the look of skirt suit...but the skirt was not comfortable to walk in!).
3) Try to get breathable materials...do your best to avoid synthetics such as polyester (suits). I will be wearing a silk button-up shirt that is green (website calls it "spruce"). Satin shirts look too flashy IMO so I would avoid it. I have never heard any mention of cashmere sweaters...could be a touch too informal, but it could also get hot depending on where you are interviewing!
I personally think that women have it harder when it comes to interview clothes.
Okay, just trying to get one thing straight -- because I haven't seen anyone state it outright during my (admittedly cursory) skim through the thread, and because I'm having trouble trusting my eyes after 3984723497034 online "guides" telling me to look as matronly as possible:
1. We can wear colors that are not black and navy? What other colors?
Charcoal gray is about the only other option.
It is not at all risky to wear a dress+jacket rather than a jacket/collared white shirt + knee-length skirt/pant?
I don't think it's risky and frankly think it could look rather sharp if done right.
I find the tired combo of a white button front blouse and black suit the realm of someone who has no imagination or decided to wear their work outfit from Capital Grille.
Any recommended materials? Or fabrics (materials-wise) that are no-nos? So like obviously not bringing the leather jacket, but what about wool? Silk/satin/cashmere too much? I have some nice cashmere sweaters that I always thought were fairly formal, but I'm CA, where formal tends to be more forgiving, I'm told....
The best and most desired fabric for your suit is a tropical weight wool. Other wools and blends are acceptable. Stay away from cotton sateen, leather, cheap looking polyester, or denim.
I'm a California gal too but have never heard of cashmere being referred to as more formal. By definition knits are more casual, although Cashmere, being a finer fabric, would be on the nicer end of casual and in the right style, can be worn in the evening.
A silk blouse is nice but satin would be daytime inappropriate for an interview unless crepe backed.
Thank you, @womanofscience and @Winged Scapula for the fast and helpful replies! I was thrown because I saw a lot of pretty loud colors via several earlier links (mostly blouses and purses), but I will probably stick to black -- and avoid the sweaters.
A few follow up questions (apologies if they cause anyone to wince):
1. If I want to try for dresses, I'm guessing sheath is the way to go in terms of cut?
2. If I decide to stick to some kind of suit, are there rules for picking non-button down blouses? Like materials to limit myself to or colors?
A few follow up questions (apologies if they cause anyone to wince):
1. If I want to try for dresses, I'm guessing sheath is the way to go in terms of cut?
2. If I decide to stick to some kind of suit, are there rules for picking non-button down blouses? Like materials to limit myself to or colors?
Oh it's worse than that. I have been known to buy the same dress more than once, not realizing that I already owned it.
I am so envious of your closet.
Thank you, @womanofscience and @Winged Scapula for the fast and helpful replies! I was thrown because I saw a lot of pretty loud colors via several earlier links (mostly blouses and purses), but I will probably stick to black -- and avoid the sweaters.
A few follow up questions (apologies if they cause anyone to wince):
1. If I want to try for dresses, I'm guessing sheath is the way to go in terms of cut?
2. If I decide to stick to some kind of suit, are there rules for picking non-button down blouses? Like materials to limit myself to or colors?
Don't be afraid to shoot for colors in your blouse/shirt/dress! I actually think the white/light pink/light blue/light colors to be somewhat boring so I went with an unusual color.
Blouses: not too revealing, not too tight...make sure that the neckline stays in the appropriate place while doing various actions.
I really like the idea of a dress and jacket, but I don't have enough confidence in my fashion choices to do that. But sheath would be appropriate. That's all I can say.
There is absolutely no reason to avoid bright colors; as a matter of fact in several posts I think I discouraged women from doing the white button-up blouse and black suit. Most people look better with some color near their face so if bright colors look good on you then by no means should you avoid them.Thank you, @womanofscience and @Winged Scapula for the fast and helpful replies! I was thrown because I saw a lot of pretty loud colors via several earlier links (mostly blouses and purses), but I will probably stick to black -- and avoid the sweaters.
A few follow up questions (apologies if they cause anyone to wince):
1. If I want to try for dresses, I'm guessing sheath is the way to go in terms of cut?
2. If I decide to stick to some kind of suit, are there rules for picking non-button down blouses? Like materials to limit myself to or colors?
Necklines can be the classic Square or Jewel although a higher cut V is nice as well. I am rather fond of a drapey modified cowl which is especially nice on larger busted women.
In regard to material for your blouse silk of course is always nice and there are some good quality polyester ones that are difficult to differentiate from the silk and are easier to care for. Many stores carry no iron cotton blouses, usually in a button up style, which are good for traveling. I know Chicos tends to have them in many colors.
A sheath dress is best although a slight a line would be acceptable as well. You should stay away from anything with a peplum, tiers, flounces, or circle skirts.
Last edited:
Lol @Winged Scapula 's closets comment.
Thank you again, @womanofscience and @Winged Scapula ! For helping me figure out how to dress for interviews, yes, but also just for replying attentively and patiently (even repeating info that I missed). I'm feeling a lot less alone/nervous about preparing. I know clothes are probably not the most or singly important part of interview prep, but I think it will help a lot to walk in confident that I look the part.
Progress report: I am looking at black sheath dresses while still thinking about possibility of 3 piece.
And just one question...
OK, so a suit is not necessarily dowdy -- i.e. a dress is not necessarily a shortcut to looking sharp? Because for ages I have been looking for an excuse to buy this: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-tops/products/womens-silk-ls-round-red-clay
It seems this could work well for a dapper 3-piece outfit?
(Aside: I read through the Tote Talks and thought I might go with Everlane's Structured Pouch instead, which I have in black: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-accessories/products/womens-structured-pouch-olive Thoughts/suggestions welcome!)
Progress report: I am looking at black sheath dresses while still thinking about possibility of 3 piece.
And just one question...
OK, so a suit is not necessarily dowdy -- i.e. a dress is not necessarily a shortcut to looking sharp? Because for ages I have been looking for an excuse to buy this: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-tops/products/womens-silk-ls-round-red-clay
It seems this could work well for a dapper 3-piece outfit?
(Aside: I read through the Tote Talks and thought I might go with Everlane's Structured Pouch instead, which I have in black: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-accessories/products/womens-structured-pouch-olive Thoughts/suggestions welcome!)
Thank you again, @womanofscience and @Winged Scapula ! For helping me figure out how to dress for interviews, yes, but also just for replying attentively and patiently (even repeating info that I missed). I'm feeling a lot less alone/nervous about preparing. I know clothes are probably not the most or singly important part of interview prep, but I think it will help a lot to walk in confident that I look the part.
Progress report: I am looking at black sheath dresses while still thinking about possibility of 3 piece.
And just one question...
OK, so a suit is not necessarily dowdy -- i.e. a dress is not necessarily a shortcut to looking sharp? Because for ages I have been looking for an excuse to buy this: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-tops/products/womens-silk-ls-round-red-clay
It seems this could work well for a dapper 3-piece outfit?
(Aside: I read through the Tote Talks and thought I might go with Everlane's Structured Pouch instead, which I have in black: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-accessories/products/womens-structured-pouch-olive Thoughts/suggestions welcome!)
Do it! I actually ordered the pointed collar from Everlane and I have a t-shirt in the red clay color and it is absolutely lovely!!!
I also thought about the structured pouch, but I am still thinking about it.
I would like to offer some thoughts on recent interview blouses that I thought did not work: Two rows of 4cm ruffles on a white sweater/blouse, shiny button front with multi-colored star print, metallic threads woven into fabric and lace.
I am also seeing a lot of bra straps when the jacket is removed.
Remember that the photo you send with the secondary should be as professional as your interview clothes.
I am also seeing a lot of bra straps when the jacket is removed.
Remember that the photo you send with the secondary should be as professional as your interview clothes.
A suit is not, in and of itself, dowdy. It's the way candidates are wearing it:
- black suit
- white button up shirt
- small pearl stud earrings
- rounded toe black pumps, with < 2 inch heel or flats
- perhaps a "dainty" necklace or single strand of 16" pearls
- hair in bun
- librarian type glasses
- no makeup
It shows no thought, no personality and no effort. Each element of the above is fine I it's own but when brought together leads to that impression.
A dress is not, in and of itself, less dowdy either. They can easily look dowdy as well.
The look you're going for is sophisticated but approachable chic, timeless classics with a twist. I do not expect pre-meds and med students to dress at my level, but I do expect that people who have put that much effort into their studies also realize that regardless of profession, it is expected that you know how to dress for the job; I expect some effort to be put into that.
NOW SOMETHING IVE ALWAYS WONDERED: for those of you who have absolutely no clue, do you not have a mother or favorite aunt to teach you these things? Did you not grow up reading fashion magazines or see TV shows with professionally dressed women? I understand that not everyone enjoys these as much as I, but even those without an interest usually pick up on cues from family and media sources. As I've said before on SDN, I've had more of an issue with female medical students being inappropriately dressed than I have had with the males.
- black suit
- white button up shirt
- small pearl stud earrings
- rounded toe black pumps, with < 2 inch heel or flats
- perhaps a "dainty" necklace or single strand of 16" pearls
- hair in bun
- librarian type glasses
- no makeup
It shows no thought, no personality and no effort. Each element of the above is fine I it's own but when brought together leads to that impression.
A dress is not, in and of itself, less dowdy either. They can easily look dowdy as well.
The look you're going for is sophisticated but approachable chic, timeless classics with a twist. I do not expect pre-meds and med students to dress at my level, but I do expect that people who have put that much effort into their studies also realize that regardless of profession, it is expected that you know how to dress for the job; I expect some effort to be put into that.
NOW SOMETHING IVE ALWAYS WONDERED: for those of you who have absolutely no clue, do you not have a mother or favorite aunt to teach you these things? Did you not grow up reading fashion magazines or see TV shows with professionally dressed women? I understand that not everyone enjoys these as much as I, but even those without an interest usually pick up on cues from family and media sources. As I've said before on SDN, I've had more of an issue with female medical students being inappropriately dressed than I have had with the males.
I'd still rather see any combination of the above over the jeans and sweaters that came through last year!A suit is not, in and of itself, dowdy. It's the way candidates are wearing it:
- black suit
- white button up shirt
- small pearl stud earrings
- rounded toe black pumps, with < 2 inch heel or flats
- perhaps a "dainty" necklace or single strand of 16" pearls
- hair in bun
- librarian type glasses
- no makeup
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow..really? Did he/she lose their luggage?I still rather see any combination of the above over the jeans and sweaters that came through last year!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There were two women in jeans last cycle. One was local. The other was a schoolmate of a current student. I asked him what he thought about her interview attire and his response was, "at least they were dark wash."Wow..really? Did he/she lose their luggage?
The sweaters were worn in lieu of jackets so I think this is was the look they were going for.
I would like to offer some thoughts on recent interview blouses that I thought did not work: Two rows of 4cm ruffles on a white sweater/blouse, shiny button front with multi-colored star print, metallic threads woven into fabric and lace.
I am also seeing a lot of bra straps when the jacket is removed.
Yes! No bra straps on view please.
I should not see your thong or even your skin when you bend over; ladies, make sure your jacket is long enough to cover that and your blouse can be tucked in with enough fabric that it will stay in.
Please put your blouse on THEN your deodorant.
If you are wearing a button up blouse, bring some safety pins especially if you are larger busted or have put on weight; from the side I've seen more boobs than I would like.
I'm glad someone else mentioned this. It is so common.If you are wearing a button up blouse, bring some safety pins especially if you are larger busted or have put on weight; from the side I've seen more boobs than I would like.
- hair in bun
What are some examples of appropriate hair? I don't do buns and my hair is far too long to leave down. I was just thinking a sleek, low ponytail.
Sounds fine.What are some examples of appropriate hair? I don't do buns and my hair is far too long to leave down. I was just thinking a sleek, low ponytail.
What are some examples of appropriate hair? I don't do buns and my hair is far too long to leave down. I was just thinking a sleek, low ponytail.
Basically anything pulled back away from the face if your hair is longer than chin length is appropriate. A sleek ponytail sounds fine.
I would advise against it.I have a slight a-line dress with metallic threads (it's a little shimmery in bright light), but I was hoping to wear it on a less formal day (like not committee interview day) with a black blazer--but gyngyn's comment about metallics makes me wonder if it's appropriate!
Cannot thank you guys enough for your help and input. I feel a lot more comfortable with this now.
I think my cluelessness is the result of a weird combination of things: child of immigrants, tom-boyism out to late teens, not much exposure to television and certainly not to fashion magazines growing up. I think my mother is in fact a rather tastefully dressed professional lady, but her job allows her to wear dresses with prints and peplums and knits and things like that. I don't think I've ever seen her in a business-formal suit. Also, we have lived 300 miles apart for the last seven years.
Now that I'm older, I have developed a taste for clothes. I've also dressed business semi-formal when shadowing physicians and on other appropriate occasions, but even then I wore knits (cardigans, etc), and it wasn't until I started gearing up for med school interviews that I realized how much I don't know about the rules of business attire. -- Though you kind folks have done a lot to help me learn!
NOW SOMETHING IVE ALWAYS WONDERED: for those of you who have absolutely no clue, do you not have a mother or favorite aunt to teach you these things? Did you not grow up reading fashion magazines or see TV shows with professionally dressed women? I understand that not everyone enjoys these as much as I, but even those without an interest usually pick up on cues from family and media sources. As I've said before on SDN, I've had more of an issue with female medical students being inappropriately dressed than I have had with the males.
I think my cluelessness is the result of a weird combination of things: child of immigrants, tom-boyism out to late teens, not much exposure to television and certainly not to fashion magazines growing up. I think my mother is in fact a rather tastefully dressed professional lady, but her job allows her to wear dresses with prints and peplums and knits and things like that. I don't think I've ever seen her in a business-formal suit. Also, we have lived 300 miles apart for the last seven years.
Now that I'm older, I have developed a taste for clothes. I've also dressed business semi-formal when shadowing physicians and on other appropriate occasions, but even then I wore knits (cardigans, etc), and it wasn't until I started gearing up for med school interviews that I realized how much I don't know about the rules of business attire. -- Though you kind folks have done a lot to help me learn!
@Winged Scapula Most women I know only wear business casual, or a sort of trendy business professional. I work in a laboratory within a medical school right now and even with this experience, I so infrequently see women looking tastefully, professionally dressed.
I just arrived back from a 3-hour shopping trip to find a jacket/pants suit and had no luck with a variety of department stores (Macys, Nordstrom) and other stores (Limited, BR, etc.). I hate to be crude, but there was a lot of stretching around the crotch area, but the next size up always looked sloppy. My best fit was with an Ann Taylor suit that looked boxy on me. Nothing is giving me that "sharp" look that I'm going for, and I'm hesitant to spend lots of $$$ to get the suit tailored. Skirts are often uncomfortable on my curvy physique.
Should I just buy the AT suit and get it tailored?
Also, is it inappropriate to wear a sleeveless button down? I sometimes feel hot when I'm nervous. Eek! 😕
Thanks!
I just arrived back from a 3-hour shopping trip to find a jacket/pants suit and had no luck with a variety of department stores (Macys, Nordstrom) and other stores (Limited, BR, etc.). I hate to be crude, but there was a lot of stretching around the crotch area, but the next size up always looked sloppy. My best fit was with an Ann Taylor suit that looked boxy on me. Nothing is giving me that "sharp" look that I'm going for, and I'm hesitant to spend lots of $$$ to get the suit tailored. Skirts are often uncomfortable on my curvy physique.
Should I just buy the AT suit and get it tailored?
Also, is it inappropriate to wear a sleeveless button down? I sometimes feel hot when I'm nervous. Eek! 😕
Thanks!
Not all of us come from privileged backgrounds. Fashion is therefore, a luxury rather than a necessity. At my last job for a pharmaceutical company, ours was the only dept to require "business casual" even though we sat at desks mostly trying to be quiet and not make sounds because we were on standby for the bosses 8-11 hrs a day. Every other department? Jeans 40 hrs a week. It's rough to be thrown into interviews when the doctors we've shadowed for over 100 hrs have exclusively worn scrubs or khakis and polos. That's why threads like these are so important and comments from those who are "in the know" are so valuable.
I must say... my mother abandoned my siblings and me after we lived through poverty in drug-stricken communities. After that, I was a ward of the court and I also was never able to access a computer outside of school until I entered college. Same with television, but I was allowed books. Even in college, the only "professional" clothing I saw was whatever my female professors wore....and that is a bit too casual IMO. As for TV shows, there is always the dilemma of it being too sexy or too form-fitting.
Thank you gyngyn and Winged Scapula for weighing in! It definitely helps!
Thank you gyngyn and Winged Scapula for weighing in! It definitely helps!
You might want to ask someone whether the larger size truly looks "sloppy". Slim fits have been in style for several years so when women try on true "classic" fit trousers they tend to think they're too baggy. What was it that made them look sloppy?@Winged Scapula Most women I know only wear business casual, or a sort of trendy business professional. I work in a laboratory within a medical school right now and even with this experience, I so infrequently see women looking tastefully, professionally dressed.
I just arrived back from a 3-hour shopping trip to find a jacket/pants suit and had no luck with a variety of department stores (Macys, Nordstrom) and other stores (Limited, BR, etc.). I hate to be crude, but there was a lot of stretching around the crotch area, but the next size up always looked sloppy. My best fit was with an Ann Taylor suit that looked boxy on me. Nothing is giving me that "sharp" look that I'm going for, and I'm hesitant to spend lots of $$$ to get the suit tailored. Skirts are often uncomfortable on my curvy physique.
Should I just buy the AT suit and get it tailored?
Also, is it inappropriate to wear a sleeveless button down? I sometimes feel hot when I'm nervous. Eek! 😕
Thanks!
A sleeveless blouse (a button down has buttons on the collar; I think you mean a button up top) is fine as long as you leave your jacket on.
Boxy isn't generally a good look especially if you're curvy; it can make you look heavier than you are. I refuse to believe you can't find something that fits; you might just have to keep looking but yes, tailoring can help a lot. I'm not sure however if the "boxy" suit can be easily tailored unless it has a side seam. Tailoring it to give you a nice nipped in waist can be difficult; this is not a simple fix. You could always buy it and take it to a tailor and see if they think they can do it (and reasonably priced); if not, return it and keep looking.
Another question: if I am wearing an undershirt with my button-up, should I still try to bring along safety pins just in case gaping occurs?
Thanks for the input ladies as to why the deficit in professional dress knowledge. I did have a somewhat privileged background and my mother, father and both grandmothers were fairly fashionable. Even in the senior assisted living facility, my maternal grandmother still wore pearls and lipstick with her Chicos sweat suits. LOL.
Here's a picture of my grandfather (not so sure about the size of his pocket square LOL), so the sense of style goes way back.
Thank you as well for taking our criticism as constructive and not hurtful. And BTW, I don't often wear suits either in the office so understand those who talked about seeing what the physicians they shadowed wore.
Here's a picture of my grandfather (not so sure about the size of his pocket square LOL), so the sense of style goes way back.
Thank you as well for taking our criticism as constructive and not hurtful. And BTW, I don't often wear suits either in the office so understand those who talked about seeing what the physicians they shadowed wore.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Undershirt? Why are you doing that?Another question: if I am wearing an undershirt with my button-up, should I still try to bring along safety pins just in case gaping occurs?
At any rate, I would still make sure the buttons aren't gaping so safety pins are still valuable (in addition if your pants/skirt hem pulls out).
Undershirt? Why are you doing that?
At any rate, I would still make sure the buttons aren't gaping so safety pins are still valuable (in addition if your pants/skirt hem pulls out).
Great! Thank you. I am wearing an under shirt just in case I either get nervous and start sweating and also to extend the life of my silk shirt. It is a very lightweight cotton undershirt so it will not contribute to the heat issue. The button-up itself isn't too hot either!
You might want to ask someone whether the larger size truly looks "sloppy". Slim fits have been in style for several years so when women try on true "classic" fit trousers they tend to think they're too baggy. What was it that made them look sloppy?
A sleeveless blouse (a button down has buttons on the collar; I think you mean a button up top) is fine as long as you leave your jacket on.
Boxy isn't generally a good look especially if you're curvy; it can make you look heavier than you are. I refuse to believe you can't find something that fits; you might just have to keep looking but yes, tailoring can help a lot. I'm not sure however if the "boxy" suit can be easily tailored unless it has a side seam. Tailoring it to give you a nice nipped in waist can be difficult; this is not a simple fix. You could always buy it and take it to a tailor and see if they think they can do it (and reasonably priced); if not, return it and keep looking.
By sloppy I mean that they were loose in the back. This usually would not be bad, but the loose fit combined with back pockets looks frumpy on me! I could get the back pockets cut out and sewn shut, but again: $$$
Do you (or anyone else) know a good brand for a suit jacket that defines the waist? If not, I will go with the Ann Taylor and hope for the best!
@Winged Scapula , your advice is amazing! Thank you for sharing this great picture of your grandfather. Such a handsome gentleman! I haven't seen a man dressed like that since... ever!
Is that really your grandfather!? Holy blue blood.Here's a picture of my grandfather (not so sure about the size of his pocket square LOL), so the sense of style goes way back.
Thank you as well for taking our criticism as constructive and not hurtful. And BTW, I don't often wear suits either in the office so understand those who talked about seeing what the physicians they shadowed wore.
View attachment 185079
That is indeed my paternal grandfather. Isn't he handsome? I wish I could find a pic of him and I.Is that really your grandfather!? Holy blue blood.
Here he is reading a book to my aunt:
Last edited: